How did you get on?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A short session on a small beck today. The kind of place where an eleven foot rod is often a little long and much more than eighteen inches is a deep swim.
Fairly hard work in low clear water with plenty of patches of summer ranunculus still hanging on. While the sun was shining it was almost a complete waste of time. Luckily, it turned dull after about an hour. Eventually managed four grayling from about a mile of water. Realistically, that meant four or five fishable spots. The smallest was a fingerling, next a tiddler of about 8oz and a couple of proper ones over a pound.
413581974.jpg

Nice pin :cool:.

Nice float n'all...looks distinctly like a piece of Binka art :cool:.

mikench

Reaction score
The lake outlet was gushing through and coloured today and I nearly walked back to the wheels and went back home but I thought, what the hell, i'm here now so I might as well have a go.
Anyhow I caught lots of fish, just chub and dace with the largest chub being approx 2 to 3lb. The first fish (no idea what it was but most likely a chub) powered across the flow straight into the submerged undergrowth! Even after risking my life struggling along the steep bank to get directly above it I couldn't drag it out. It had either shed my hook in the cover or was buried very deep amongst it. Anyhow I had to pull my line with my hand until it cracked off, just lost several shot and the hook...just hope I didn't damage the poor fish if it was still attached! I had a gate crasher that stole a chub of two pound or more feet away from me and cut my line off just below the bottom shot! The party pooper didn't stop the action though as I was catching across the flow and 30 yards downstream. I had nowhere to take a picture as the banks are very steep and the water was a few feet higher than it normally is.

What was the pin Ian?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What was the pin Ian?

Mike, the pin is a Chris Lythe 1915 copy, it was the first reel I got off Chris. I am a big fan of Chris's reels, he is a perfectionist and his workmanship and attention to detail is second to none.

rubio

Reaction score
Had to give it a go this afternoon having been stuck indoors most of the week following some minor surgery. At least I'd had time to repair some rods and a couple of whips, which I took out for a waggle.
Waggling was fine; fishing a little underwhelming. Great start with a small crucian(which is a tick for october). Plenty of fish bubbling but very few caught. Just to add to the general mood of disappointment I got more bream than roach. I need to have a word about club stocking policy!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sam's post yesterday concerning the new Acolyte landing net aroused my curiosity, "a net that doesn't snag hooks"? This required further investigation and it wasn't long after watching a few videos promoting said net that a rush of retail therapy overcame me.

On my way to the Canterbury Stour this morning I stopped off at my local tackle shop in Blean, always a cuppa on offer and they had the net in stock, get in! I was thinking the largest of the three options but that had sold out, wasn't about to walk out empty handed so took the 16".

A trip to Tescos next to pick up the bait for today and it was with great dismay that I discovered Tesco have stopped my go to cheese for Canterbury chub, it was just perfect, mature cheddar with garlic and herbs, soft enough to go straight on the hook without further prep. In the reduced section was a piece of Double Red Gloucester with cream cheese, looks like a cheesy roly poly, coupled with the fact it was just 55p, it was snatched up before some old lady got in.

I reckon it was about 45 minutes later that the new net was christened with a obliging chub going an ounce under 4lb. A bit of a tight squeeze. The new cheese an instant hit.
VeIolhH.jpg

Over the next two hours a further four chub slid into the net, no shoehorning required, all a tad smaller than the first. I rarely do a session without the hook coming out in the net and today was no exception and yes it didn't get caught in the weave. Something you notice immediately is the lightness of the net, making it the ideal roving tool.

Another plus point is the fact it also seems to resist getting snared in bramble type vegetation, another bugbear of mine.
PWnylx4.jpg

I had a spare thirty minutes before picking up swmbo from her very own bit of retail therapy and with a drop shot rod and bag of lures now permanently in the car headed for the weir.
qWqw5T9.jpg

Three small perch up to 8ozs supplied a bit of fun before calling it a day and picking up my fayre.

Now here's the clincher, her ladyship simply loathes the smell caused by a net that's had success....an odour free car, she assumed I'd blanked! Drennan need to make more of this.

Guess I'll have to get an 18" don't want to embarrass the 5lb chub when it finally comes along.

Last edited:

jon atkinson

Reaction score
a barge comes round around the bend 30m away. Wincing, I dragged the fish into the middle of the river and dropped the rod down, and shouted to the boaters to go to the far side – there's room and depth – so I can bring this big fish in. They looked at me, bemused, then swerved to my side and cut the line. I wouldn't normally swear at people passing in a boat, but I made an exception.

What a bunch of tw*ts - worth having some maggots available to catapult in their direction! I really don't get some people - the lack of consideration / respect for others beggars belief...

jimlad

Reaction score
After some chub success on my first trip to the river wear last week, I got out this afternoon in search of something bigger. What a contrast a Saturday afternoon in Durham was to early sunday morning....canoeists, dog walkers, joggers etc. As I set up, and with a load of boats messing about downstream, my plan was to fish half heartedly until the sun went down and it quietened.

Despite all the racket, and the bright conditions, the rod soon flew round and I hit into something pretty solid. Once again, the acolyte distance feeder tamed the fish nicely, and it was soon resting in the net. A gem of a fish at 5lb 4oz. These wear fish really do fight well and are solid fish.

Try as I might, I couldn't buy another bite but really happy to get my first wear five on only the second trip.

IMG_7389.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

binka

I've literally just noticed the float Chris and that was only after reading Ian's comment, really pleased you've christened it and I hope they're running through nicely :)

Did you manage to get the tips to pull out ok?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've literally just noticed the float Chris and that was only after reading Ian's comment, really pleased you've christened it and I hope they're running through nicely :)

Did you manage to get the tips to pull out ok?

It was the smallest version. Worked very nicely in very shallow water and fairly short runs. Tips ended up being no real problem, though I did have to be fairly brutal with one of them. A well placed finger nail helps.

flightliner

Reaction score
A nice day yesterday at a local pond. A default day like Binka posted the other day.
Short rod and my old trudex , two lb main to one point five link, twenty hook below a drinking straw float dotted low and caster as bait.
Loads of stamp roach , maybe three to the lb and odd spells when two to the lb were the norm.
One mad mudpig left me for dead but a one pound ish bar of autumn gold crucian was a nice compensatory moment, maybe the last time it sees daylight for another six months.
Overall a nice tonic !

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished a match today on an Oxfordshire reservior. We'd heard the water level was low but blimey!
The platforms were completely out of the water so it was clamber down or no keepnet..... Not the best move in a match...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kept it simple and just set up feeder rod with method feeder and hair rigged punched bread.

image.jpg

First chuck, tip went round and carp number one was landed. A quiet spell then another bite, this time a bream. Went on to catch 5 more carp and weighed in 30+lb which was ok for 3rd...

Sometimes it pays to keep it simple innit...

mikench

Reaction score
I assume you treat punched bread on the method in the same way as a pellet ie embedded in the GB or micros?

I ask as I have never tried it and from the photo Simon I am beginning to think you may not!

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club fixture at Windsor on the Thames at Home park today, one of my favourite venues on the lower river. Unfortunately I drew a peg (1) upstream of the wider flyer pegs.. The boat traffic was heavy so the lock was as well, the water standing still at times then piling through the next...

image.jpg

No seatbox today as the banks are steep and hazardous, in fact I travelled light with just a chair, a 15' rod and bag. Balled in a kilo of dark roach groundbait a third of the way across and fished big peacock 12" waggler and maggot over it.
Alas no roach. Bleak and perch mainly took my maggot and TBH I struggled.
After a couple of hours I took a walk downstream, others were faring worse, even on the pole. There was a distinct lack of colour in the water and the common belief was the better roach were simply not there...
With a couple of hours to go I changed rig to a stickfloat, trotted close in and picked up a few ounce gudgeon, blade roach and dace...
Ended up second in section of 8 with 2lb9oz.

image.jpg

16 fished...

The Runner

Reaction score
Club match today on the Slough Arm at Langley Boats, our first canal match of the season and probably a bit too early as the fish haven't started moving into their winter quarters here yet (or mostly not, see later...). The usual suspects had been down on Wednesday for an exploratory knock up, they pegged it past the gate and after a 2 -13 and a 2-8 on the first two pegs used it went even harder with some only having two or three fish. So today it was pegged mostly before the gate with four pegs past it on the basis that it couldn't be any harder. Well...
Drew peg 4 on the day, nice reed cover in the edge and a few clumps of weed close in , glad of any cover as so clear that could see any lighter patches on the bottom all the way across and probably would have been able to see everything if it had been sunny . Plumbed up, no real shelves as 2 ft out from the towpath was only 6 inches or so shallower than the track, as was next to the boats at 10m. Shallower by about a foot in the gap between the two boats.
So, 4m whip, 3BB waggler rod and three topkits set up, all with a 24 Green Gama to .06 except 0.07 on waggler and one topkit with a 5 elastic , 0.08 and a size 20.
Started on whip, two nuggets of liquidised and smallest punch on the hook. Nothing in ten minutes, so put a fluoro pinkie on, buried and its a 3oz perch, which came off. Still blank after 40 minutes by which time Ian on my left had a tiny roach and Dave on my right a perch. A bit early for the usual Arm desperation tactic of chop up a single worm and fish a piece in the edge, but needs must, one worm fed about 4m along and half metre out to each side. Nothing. Went out across to the boat where had been feeding squatt and a few pinkies, same result, back on inside and at last a bite. Three in fact, all perch about an ounce each, at which point realisation dawned that didn't have enough worm with me to fish it as a main attack which was looking increasingly necessary. Only had the equivalent of about one and a half of those small tubs , hadn't bothered buying a top up quarter kilo as for the last two or three years the only real use for chop here has been to save a blank.
Definitely didn't have enough to rotate more than two lines even feeding only one or two at a time so decided that would concentrate on the inside initially and see which side produced better before deciding whether to switch one worm line to across.
To cut a long story short, picked up odd fish from each side for the rest of the match as well as two or three across on pinkie (had kept feeding over in case the roach did a late switch-on) but could really have done with twice the quantity of worm so could have kept more than two lines fed with it.
Ended up with 23 fish, all perch, for 1-10-8 and 4th. Third had 2-0 and a tie for first with 2-5 and pretty sure I would have had that if etc etc.
Said earlier that the fish had "mostly" not moved yet. Two of the lads who were really struggling on the last two pegs went for a walk mid match and about 200 yards past the last peg there was a 30 yard stretch that was black with roach, some looking well over the pound, and a few skimmers, this in the exact area that had barely produced a bite on Wednesday.
And the Signal Crayfish have finally arrived here. Never seen them here before but saw at least half a dozen today and most of the others did too.

nottskev

Reaction score
Went to the Deep Lake to meet up with 4 other blokes. But we hadn't anticipated it would be crammed with refugees from several local waters, all matched. After a walk around – did we want to fish the pegs no-one else wanted to fish? - the consensus was for the club ponds, we're all members, up the road. I didn't want to be anti-social, but these ponds are the archetypal mixed-fisheries-now-rammed-with-marauding-overgrown-stockies- and-lots-of-lillies, and I wasn't carrying remotely suitable gear. ( They'd say that's a strong carp pole and 8lb line; I'd say a bow and arrow) So I went home to swap my gear and go on the local Trent.

But I wasn't in the mood for the river, with no hemp, and not a lot of casters, so I sat down, ate my sandwich and pondered. It was lovely and mild, windless day, so I decided to try the tench lake.
So at 12.30 with a long rod, centrepin and bait intended for the bream, off I went on the 15 mile drive.

The lake was empty, save for one angler, and I felt the day was looking up.

btl3.jpg

As I tackled up, the other angler walked round to inform me he'd been on all morning and not had a bite. But I was undeterred, and prepared to believe a few fish would feed in the afternoon. The first half hour, nothing disturbed the tip of the float just about visible in the surface film. Then a few perch took the double red maggot. When I swapped to a lighter hooklength and a smaller hook, a few roach joined in. And finally, at about 3.30, the first of half a dozen feisty small tench pulled some line off the reel.

btl2.jpg

Potting in dead red maggots and small balls of groundbait kept the bites coming until about 5.pm at which point all activity ceased. I was pleased to have caught a few sneaky extra tench, and anyway, the Deep Lake will be empty if I want to go mid-week.

btl4.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
Back to last week's stillwater for another spot of bit bashing. It's the kind of man made venue that looks like a mature commie that someone forgot to put the fish in. Went with the full intention of fishing much finer that I normally do in an attempt to catch a few more. Got off to a bad start when I realised that a tidy up of one of my boxes had seen me remove all of the Drennan Glow Tip Antennas that I was planning to use in conjunction with 20 hooks and 1.7lb bottoms.

The fish were still a little picky but I did get a few more than last time out. Hit a bonus snotty of about 3lb quite early on. The rest of the time was spent wading through loads of gonks and perch, until the sun started to go down. When that happened I had a couple of half decent roach and two tiny carp of the bright old penny kind. When the light was getting really low, the big boys moved in. Foul hooked one that took off like a torpedo and eventually hooked one properly. Unfortunately, a combination of light line and a barbless hook eventually saw that one come adrift after about ten minutes. Just to make it more galling, I was just starting to get the better of it when the hook pulled.

Even with the bonus bream, I doubt I'd have scraped 10lb, such were the size of most of the gonks and perch. Still a decent afternoon in the sun and I suspect that I had a better day than the two other anglers on the pond. They both disappeared before England were due to kick off. I'm quite glad I thought "stuff it" and stayed put. Plenty of bites and being pleasantly warm is a bonus at this time of year.

mikench

Reaction score
Well done Kev! You seem to have the same affinity with Tench as I do with .........er ,er bream!:cool:

nottskev

Reaction score
Well done Kev! You seem to have the same affinity with Tench as I do with .........er ,er bream!:cool:

We were a bit unlucky with the high winds and the parrot-cage swims that day.
But if you come back next spring, which I hope you will, we'll probably do even better.