How did you get on?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Rather inexplicably, the fairly strong wind that's been blowing today dropped at about 1300. It prompted me to take another walk to the same swim as yesterday. By the time I arrived, the wind had picked up again. Fortunately, though hardly beneficial, it was from a relatively benign direction. The big issue today were the ton of leaves coming down and the horde of minnows that returned with a vengeance.

In between the leaves and the minnows I managed to extract six grayling, two half decent trout and a solitary parr. As the trout are starting to look very familiar now, I think I'm going to have to find some new swims.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Re: How did you get on

Unlike yesterday there was barely a breath of wind this morning on my usual Saturday canal venue. Although the trees still appear to be in full leaf a lot were floating down and making things difficult for my fine pole rigs.

image.jpg

Armed with bread, casters and maggots and alternating between the three the stamp of fish was disappointingly small. I would normally feed hemp here but I ran out yesterday, possibly a reason for the lack of bigger roach?
My neighbour and I both noticed how cold the fish felt in our hands, strange as we've had very mild weather recently and no frosts.

All in all rather uninspiring catch wise but great to be out fishing nonetheless..

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Not so much how did I get on as how am I going to get on.

Am off to the Wye for a few days this week after an Autumn Barbel (or two).

Be interesting to see if this shakes me out of my indiference to wetting a line at the moment.

Really good couple of mates coming so the craic will be great, let's hope the Barbel are obliging as well!

Will let you know when I get back!

Stu

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gave the river a miss today and with such balmy Autumn weather headed for my local estate lake with the aim of catching a few tench.

The gardens still look glorious and are not giving up their Summer clothes easily.

9QM4A6v.jpg

I fished from 10 til 5 without a single tench, tried different baits, different methods but nothing doing. All the more frustrating when another syndicate member arrived and had a tench first cast:eek:

I had a good number of roach, Rudd, skimmers and a few sizeable bream but the day wasn't a disappointment, it's long been my thinking that the lake doesn't hold any perch, never heard of one being caught and no reports of any in previous years, so when a a prime specimen of 1lb 10ozs fell to a single grain of sweet corn (a first for me) I was made up.

Ma1Dih6.jpg

The tench have a love of meat on this lake and it was remiss of me not to bring any, with a forecast of 24 degrees on Monday I shal return, meat in the bag!

Another Dave

Reaction score
Got home at 4 and the house was empty so i rapidly put my mini kit together. A bunch of lures and hooks/jigs had arrived earlier and i'd been playing around with .all day at work.

I want to give some of these new lures a go and i want to fish that new swim i knifed open a few weeks ago. As i'm walking out the door with my gear i see the car pull up. After some tense negotiations i agree to take the kids with me and not be long.

It takes 3 minutes to get to the swim. Tried the Netbait 4" frog, a perch of about 6 oz followed it in but seemed terrified. Had hoped to get a pike but ok, let's have this perch so i try the 3" curly tail grub on a very light size 6 jig.

Luckily the eldest daughter knows how to set up the landing net. First pike for at least 22 years.

zidFeqS.jpg

Another Dave

Reaction score
Grey camo flight jackets that make you look like an eastern european extremist of indeterminate political persuasion are available from the Tu range at Sainsbury's, while stocks last.

Reaction score
Three blanks in a row,two trying for barbel,one for big roach,need to pick better targets I think.:)

mikench

Reaction score
It makes me feel a bit brighter when my betters suffer a similar fate Alan! Still nursing a sore dislocated finger! It didn't help trapping it in the lawnmower yesterday:mad:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Popped onto the local cut yesterday for a couple of hours few small roach and perch but i GOT OUT not been in a good place recently plus no car and legs that are misbehaving to be polite about it :mad: .
Look like thing may be on the up now at last New car to be collected from the dealers on Wednesday :D ( just gotta pay for it now) and the legs are showing signs of starting to play the game again so with a bit of luck next weekend should see me back in full flow (hopefully :) ) ..:wh:wh:wh:wh

PG ...

Reaction score
It makes me feel a bit brighter when my betters suffer a similar fate Alan! Still nursing a sore dislocated finger! It didn't help trapping it in the lawnmower yesterday:mad:

I'm nobody's better Mike,I'm afraid this time of year beats me,it is too early for trotting my favourite haunts because of weed,whilst other species don't know whether to stick or twist,unless I go to venues I don't particularly like,or fish in a similar vein.

jimlad

Reaction score
With a load of floodwater in the swale this morning, and outside temps feeling like summer, it seemed ideal for a few hours barbel fishing on the swale.

Roving about and dropping boilies or worm into likely looking creases or slacks was the order of the day. There were some huge trees coming down with the floods! I was also hoping to get a bend in my free spirit floodwater rod.

After a few unsuccessful pegs, fishing upstream to a snag got a nice run and I was playing and landing a smashing barbel. Not the hoped for swale double, but a mint conditioned 7lber

IMG_7436.jpg

The next swim was very tight, a hit and hold job, and it didn't take long for me to be playing a similar sized barbel. This one got snagged up for 5 mins but soon came out when I left it think about things.

IMG_7437.jpg

Always good when trips go to plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
With a load of floodwater in the swale this morning, and outside temps feeling like summer, it seemed ideal for a few hours barbel fishing on the swale.

Roving about and dropping boilies or worm into likely looking creases or slacks was the order of the day. There were some huge trees coming down with the floods! I was also hoping to get a bend in my free spirit floodwater rod.

After a few unsuccessful pegs, fishing upstream to a snag got a nice run and I was playing and landing a smashing barbel. Not the hoped for swale double, but a mint conditioned 7lber

IMG_7436.jpg

The next swim was very tight, a hit and hold job, and it didn't take long for me to be playing a similar sized barbel. This one got snagged up for 5 mins but soon came out when I left it think about things.

IMG_7437.jpg

Always good when trips go to plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking fish Jim even better to see some with no bits missing from their tail.

theartist

Reaction score
Had a trip out last week with dad, would love to talk about high rivers and floodwaters but instead Issak's river was a trickle still so the best I could muster for the morning was some improvised chub action in some very clear water. Managed 4 chub to 4lb which on any given day would be pretty good sport but it seemed such hard work as they nosed my bait countless times each before saying no. Watching the old white lips finally take my single maggot was great fun although I had to go quite light for them to succumb, anyone who says chub aren't tackle shy is missing a hell a lot if bites when the water is clear. This was brought home even more when the float came off and it was freeline fun, suddenly with no float or shot to induce caution they were feeding with abandon and it was 5 in 5 casts.

A trip downstream beckoned to see dad who i'd dumped in one of the barbel swims but things were slow for him so we shared the swim for a while like the old days. Three quick barbel of the float and I'm already outstaying my welcome so I go to the vacated swim below. Here it was all barbel and I know it sounds wrong but I found my self getting bored so offered it to someone who'd appreciate it more, whilst I packed up to go and annoy dad for the last hour. Here to my surprise he was setting up a float for the first time in ages and he soon doubled his tally from the rest of the day in a few casts, watching him made me want that 'one more cast' whilst he was having a rest. Trouble is he's left handed so hooking the last barbel of the day 'lefty' was weird as I initially went for the invisible reel handle before switching over to what I now know is a weak left rod arm - try it sometime! it's weird enough with no fish on so basically the fish was winning. Trying not to wet myself laughing I called "Oi dad take over will ya" and the old man stepped in like a god and suddenly i'm having flashbacks to fishing as a nipper as I slid the net under a 'tag team' barbel all of 5-6lbs, a quick photo for posterity on the one remit of 'don't drop it' which he didn't and we're off home having made the best of the day.

theartist-albums-my-gallery-2nd-attempt-picture4829-dadlol.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Cherish these moments Rob as they are finite and you only have one Dad:)

Mine is still going strong and we share many common interests but fishing isn't amongst them;)

mikench

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Alan! You were young to lose him and I have had a Dad for 30 extra years!:( Life isn't fair ; a bit like fishing really!