How did you get on?

thecrow

Reaction score
To accuse someone of lying is crossing a line.

NO accusing someone of accusing you of lying is crossing a line, perhaps you could just point out where anyone has accused you of lying?

Please don't do it again its very hurtful and I am such a sensitive soul.

That reminds me I must empty my PM inbox its getting quiet full.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well with the Wye and Severn HW and H with snowmelt Whitty and the Artist have encouraged me to get a couple of pints mags and get out Monday. (Not right for bread locally yet)
Well done you two

bullet

Reaction score
We'll Hatshepsut Istanbul howling off.:D

Edit...that's what predictive text can do to you. Lol.

What I actually meant to say was........
Well, that's just showing off.:D

Buy your phone in Egypt, did you?:D:D

bullet

Reaction score
NO accusing someone of accusing you of lying is crossing a line, perhaps you could just point out where anyone has accused you of lying?

Please don't do it again its very hurtful and I am such a sensitive soul.

That reminds me I must empty my PM inbox its getting quiet full.

What's wrong with ledgering for barbel anyway?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club match today at a day ticket venue in rural Berkshire. Arrived at 7:30 and it was bitterly cold, the lakes were frozen over, in short I was wondering why I came? Drew my peg and found myself right next to the peg I drew last visit.
I'd hoped to fish the waggler which served me well last time but the ice put paid to that plan. Spent half an hour chucking the ice breaker until my hands were totally numb and I felt knackered before we even started. I managed to clear a swim to 9m out and net out most of the broken ice.

image.jpg

Luckily I had some "Little hotties" those disposable hand warmers that look like tea bags. Once my fingers came back to life I set up my pole. Nothing too elaborate today, just one topkit with 12 hollow laccy and a 0:3gr pole float to a 20 hook on a 2lb trace. Started off on breadpunch and caught numerous tiny roach, quite surprising really as I was using a fairly large punch with carp in mind. After 2 and a half hours I hooked my first carp, all 6oz of it..
A few anglers were getting the odd small carp so decided to change tactics.
I cupped in some chopped worm and fished a worm tail for a while which still attracted the blade roach. Then it started raining...
With 2 hours to go I changed to double pinkie and pushed my float up 2" and laid the bait on the deck, feeding 6 pinkies via catty at regular intervals and at last a positive bite, carp on. Not a big one, just about scrape 3lb's but a start.
Next bite was soon after and a better fish which kept going under the ice and giving me palpitations thinking about shredded laccy. Landed it safely and it was 5:11. One more small one after that and the whistle blew.
At the scales I had 9lb11oz which put me first in section and 4th overall.
22lb won it with 13 and 11lb follow ups. Luckily he paid out top 4 today so I got a nice envelope...
25 fished...

john step

Reaction score
PC ..........tried to think of something funny to say about this but I thought I would just take my hat off to your keeness:D

The Runner

Reaction score
Clocked up first blank of the season on clubs Fur & Feather on the Colne at Uxbridge.
Hard frost last night, river had dropped back to a foot or so below where it should be, and while it did have a tinge of colour for a change this was entirely down to the last of the snowmelt and roadsalt run off. So, a grim days sport expected and that's pretty much what we got.
Everyone wanted pegs 52 to 55 and, even more so, 58, where the roach were shoaling up before the cold snap and there were some choice remarks when Brian D pulled 54 for the third time in 4 matches (he had 53 in the other one).
I got 26/27 (choice of either as too close to use both), real barbel or nothing territory above the weir. Sat on 27 as pennywort a bit heavy on 26 and also a nice crease into a bit of slacker water across with about 3'6 to 4ft everywhere. Had a good barbel here back in July but haven't heard of much off it since, Set up 4 no 4 stick, 18 to 0.13 and bomb/ feeder 16 to 0.15. Started on feeder to get a bit of bait down before switching to bomb, had the second hour on the stick searching all the way down the crease, usual round robin call from Don the Secretary after two hours had only Brian on 54 catching a few, rest of backstream only the odd little roach, main river and sluice all blanking with a barbel lost on 42.
And not much more to add really, sat it out without an indication of any sort, couldn't even find a minnow in the slack on pinkie. Horrible wet afternoon as well,

Brian won it from 54 with 8-1 of roach on the punch, a single barbel of 7-11 ten minutes from time was second, then 1-8 of roach, also caught late, from a swim in the sluice and 1-5 last in the frame. 58 that everyone fancied barely broke a pound as did 52.
Still better than the main river though- 2oz (all minnows) was top weight of the twelve of us on it with 8 blanks.

Usual good buffet in the Dolphin afterwards by which time the number of members present had mysteriously swelled from the 22 who fished to 26. Four people had the right idea...

ian g

Reaction score
Fished the local canal as the Severn looked horrible yesterday . I'd had some decent perch from here over the past couple of winters so had some hope. Heavy rain as I arrived and my first two choice spots were already taken . I settled in the top pound below the staircase locks . Fished lob worm under a stick float for nothing , i managed to get a few livies off one of the other guys fishing the next lock down . I managed 2 perch around a pound a piece . I switched to maggot on a 20's hook but still couldn't buy a bite . Nice to be out but I hope the Severn is sorted for next weekend.

Reaction score
After my days fishing Saturday,I woke Sunday with my bad back returned:(,I wrapped up warm and didn't do anything silly(or so I thought),I'm due back to work tomorrow,but unless I miraculously recover I can't see it,ffs.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well after the Artists and Whitties success decided to pop down to the town stretch for a maggot feeder session.

Woke to a hard frost and getting to the bank noted that although the river had dropped 3ft the amount of logs and trees coming down midstream indicated another lot of ice cold water coming down from the Valleys!

Indeed my first two favourite swims the water was barrelling through and would have needed 4oz to hold 2 rods out. Not my sort of fishing.

Chose a slight slack near the bridge, and proceeded to feed a couple of pints of maggots over the next 4 hours. A bite?

Yes. Just the one as I had the thermos in one hand and the cup in the other...

Watched 20 Megansers working the far bank 6 or 7 would dip down together with a few more dipping down seconds later downstream. Obviously to ambush fleeing fish.

After a cormorant came up in my swim, I packed my gear away with chilled fingers.

Lots of kingfishers seen glistening blue in the weak sunshine and 3 robins and 2 chaffinches fed.

I would blame A and W if it wasn't such a lovely morning out.:D

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That was one more bite than I had:rolleyes: An unproductive couple of hours roaming the town stretch of the Stour looking for a pike (or two).Still some colour in the water as it fines down but was able to spot a jack that either didn't spot my juicy piece lamprey or did but couldn't be bothered.

I'll be back tomorrow, maybe turkey with all the trimmings might be the answer.:)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Crack of dawn start this morning, wasn't expecting the hard frost though!

IMG_6915.jpg

The river was still dropping slowly, holding a bit of colour but racing through at quite a pace. The chub were a tougher proposition today but I managed to get them feeding for a couple of hours either side of midday.

The first three were pristine examples and all around 3:08/4:00. The last two to come to the net were a better stamp altogether and pushed the scales to 5:12 and 6:02.

I might just squeeze one more session in before Christmas arrives!

IMG_6920.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Neil, this is the season of goodwill to all men so please keep your catches of fabulous chub to yourself!;)

What a cracker!:)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Neil, this is the season of goodwill to all men so please keep your catches of fabulous chub to yourself!;)

What a cracker!:)

OK.......................

............. here's one from another season of goodwill. :wh

7-11.jpg

As it happens this one came from the swim under that big tree on the opposite bank in the image in my last post.

:)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It was minus 3 degrees when 7 old codgers turned up at Boxmoor on the GUC this morning.. A hard frost on the grass and ice on the gin clear canal...
Looked promising not!
There was a short stretch with no ice by the narrow bridge into which 4 of us squeezed, others walked off, one up to the lock which was clear and the others broke ice..All in at 9 o'clock, frozen fingers and ice forming in my rod rings hampered my performance to start with but the sun soon rose behind us and things began to thaw..

image.jpg

Tiny worm section impaled on a 22 on a waggler rig got me my first 2 small roach followed by a couple of 2" see through gudgeon.. After 4 hours 2 biteless codgers packed up, another was getting a bite a chuck squeezed between two boats, the other two were too far away to tell how they were faring..
I went on to catch a few more tiny roach and a chublet but it really was hard work. I must have plumbed and fished every inch of my swim, altered my shotting, tried pinkie, maggot and punch but could only muster 6oz:8dr for 3rd at the scales.
The local ace codger who took a hike, broke ice and worked at it won the day with a fine net of roach, chublets, gudgeon and a last minute 3lb skimmer for 8lb:10oz.
Runner up had 1lb:5oz.

Was it worth it?

Yes definitely, in fact I prefer a day like today to bagging up in warmer weather,
more of a challenge in my book...Roll on January when us codgers will resume our Tuesday penance....

mikench

Reaction score
Well done Simon! Gosh you are keen! It's becoming milder up here so I hope to get out later this week!