How did you get on?

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Very tidy Kev, although I have to say that your idea of a small catch looks very different to mine!

nottskev

Reaction score
Very tidy Kev, although I have to say that your idea of a small catch looks very different to mine!

I'm lucky to have one of those rare places that flatters your efforts not too far away - anywhere else, and we'd have been struggling. I'd just seen Tigger's chub pics, too, so my pic suddenly looked less interesting!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Mine too. I was all set to go today but the forecast was rain by midday and as i wouldnt have been there before 9 and detest fishing in the wet i bottled it and didnt go. Lightweight ! Needless to say Grumpy decided to chance it and its only just started drizzling :eek:mg:

If things run true to form he will have bagged up though he always does when there are no witnesses :wh

Very nice netful Kev. Made me feel even more of a lightweight than I did already

nottskev

Reaction score
Very nice netful Kev. Made me feel even more of a lightweight than I did already

My mate on the next peg caught 5lb more than me, and he had never fished there in winter. I felt a bit lightweight myself as I offered my heartfelt congratulations. Neither of us can catch a bream this winter on the other lake we fish together - and the place is full of them.

mikench

Reaction score
It's observing your keep nets bulging with fish of all kinds Kev, which makes me content that keep nets are banned on most of my waters!:wh I would barely fill a landing net most days and today was no exception! I had 3 roach, 3 bream and a decent mirror around 8 lb! The day started early and bright but became increasingly cloudy and cold! It was nice to be back course fishing though!

I called it a day at 3.45 as I was frozen!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I called it a day at 3.45 as I was frozen!

I called it a day at 6-45 for the same reason....and I was indoors drinking tea at the time which is pretty well all I've done today bar sorting my zander bag out .

Not fished for them at all this winter yet for the last 5 or 6 it was all I ever did. I think the M25 just wore me down in the end. That bloody road cares not one whit about whether you are retired or working, or what day of the week/time of day it is.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
This is getting to be a bad habit. Tried for silvers on my half frozen syndi res. Blankety blank. Not a sniff.
There were still snow drifts beside the road. I am REALLY REALLY getting impatient for some warmer weather.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the M25 just wore me down in the end. That bloody road cares not one whit about whether you are retired or working, or what day of the week/time of day it is.

That why it's "The Road To Hell"

I went through a period of my chauffeuring career picking up my boss and joining at J12 and coming off at J28, so half a lap, I'd drop him at the office by 8am and then turn round and head back to his house to drive his wife for a few hours before returning for him at 6pm, that equates to two full laps of hell, just thinking about it now makes me queasy.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
That why it's "The Road To Hell"

I went through a period of my chauffeuring career picking up my boss and joining at J12 and coming off at J28, so half a lap, I'd drop him at the office by 8am and then turn round and head back to his house to drive his wife for a few hours before returning for him at 6pm, that equates to two full laps of hell, just thinking about it now makes me queasy.

Nightmare. I thought I had it bad but ive never yet done a full lap.

mikench

Reaction score
I hate the M25 too and thankfully rarely use it these days! The M60 orbital is a breeze by comparison!

Pete Shears

Reaction score
After scraping yet more frost off the car I headed to the reservoir for some pike fishing in thick fog which thinned after a few miles to reveal a dazzling low sun,that bright in fact that I didn't see at first that half the reservoir was frozen and there was cat ice in the margins where I thought it was clear.Still better sitting in the sun than rain or hail & snow.After launching three deadbaits into areas not frozen a northerly breeze kicked in when the forecast was for southerlies.Not a twitch,beep from alarms or anything - not even a robin to feed,still recast,enjoy a coffee and brush up on my waiting skills which fizzled out around 12.30 when I headed home.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
The Big Feller has just been on the dog with todays report. He struggled at first and ended up moving in an attempt to find some fish but things were very slow until about 11-30 when they suddenly switched on. From then until about 2-30 when he packed to avoid the rain ( which I avoided by not going) he had virtually a fish a chuck. Roach,skimmer ( serves him right!) , F1s, a coupld of hybrids, a carp of about 4lb and a single gudgeon. No perch at all.

He tried prawn but without any real interest which is not that surprising given the cold overnight temps.

I'm slightly niggled that I didnt make the effort to go and even more niggled that he dodged all the wet stuff.

B

binka

If I could just persuade them to struggle a bit more !:wh

Forget it Mike, you may as well just set your stall out to target something which pulls back a bit more...

cbg.JPG

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
This morning I had a slight dip of the float followed by a nice sail away suggesting roach would be responsible, and possibly the first of many to slide into the net. Unfortunately, neither proved to be true.....

The fish felt like a very large perch to begin with (I'd had a near 3lb fish in January) as it held solid on the bottom for a minute or two, but this again was not the case and the fish deciding to head slowly and steadily across across the lake told me it was a pesky carp. My poor Ultralight, bent at an alarming curve (not to mention the 2lb line and 20 hook) could do little to stop it for a time, but with some pumping and not a little patience, a pal finally netted it for me with my 16" net. 7lbs 6ozs.
Two hours later, with my hand in the maggot box and eyes off the float, I suddenly saw the centre pin start to spin and by the time I'd sorted myself and picked up the rod yet another carp was well on its way, albeit in a different direction to the first. Again, lots of pumping of what was undoubtedly a much bigger fish finally bought it within range of the net but this time the hook hold gave up the ghost, and that was that! My pal said it was on for about 20mins
Not what I had in mind for the day but at least it wasn't a blank.

Driving home I came to the conclusion it was a fair result considering the cold, dank day and the fact the place was frozen over only a few days ago. I thought I might tempt a roach or two, but in hindsight it was probably wishful thinking on my part.

Anyway, what action I had made the 06.30 start at 0 degrees well worth while and to be honest it was really good just to be on the bank again. I think the word 'pesky' probably a little unfair................................

Sunday looks promising with temps on the rise.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Driving home I came to the conclusion it was a fair result considering the cold, dank day and the fact the place was frozen over only a few days ago. I thought I might tempt a roach or two, but in hindsight it was probably wishful thinking on my part.

Yes its been a strange winter since January(for me anyway). You would think you could get a pike to take a bait in the cold. I have had one jack this year. Even the silvers on two of my "go to places" when the going gets tough have not been biting.
I look at the nets of eyes and fins in PCs nets from the Union with envy. Strange how a shallow canal can fish yet deeper waters don't when its cold. Its got to improve soon.