How did you get on?

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I've posted this elsewhere so if you've read it feel free to skip ahead.

Okay, hold on to your sides, because Laurel and Hardy went fishing.

We got set up on the local canal with our spinning rods and treble hooked lures.

I lost two lures and two steel traces to the trees on the opposite bank, they make lovely decorations hanging their, twirling in the breeze.

After losing a lure I retied a new trace, trimmed the braid, and it all fell to the ground - I'd trimmed the wrong bit of braid.
So I hooked the lure/trace assembly on the fence, re-tied my swivel, turned round for the lure/trace and it was gone. WTF?

Looked all round, couldn't find it, then I found it hooked to my back!

The barbs on lures are so damned sharp me and the boy often had both hands hooked up in one, we looked like simpletons wrapped up in Chinese finger traps!

My casting is dreadful I even tried to cast out twice with the bail arm on!

I caught enough branches to build a bonfire, and two large pieces of plastic matting.

If it wasn't so funny it would be depressing.

We even had one chap pull up on a push bike who told us he tried 5 times for pike in there with dead baits etc and caught nothing, he refused to go back.

Another guy fishing float had two mediocre roach, and even he was wondering if there were any fish in there at all.

We caught nothing whatsoever, I never saw the bailiff and to be honest I begrudged the £6 each for a canal on which there are few apparent fish.

Never mind, next week we're going to our club fishery for the first time, and hopefully here we'll get a few.

Cheers ,Lol

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With warmth and sunshine without a howling wind, today is by far the best since April 1 when the estate lake re-opened. Being Saturday I expected a limited choice of swim but on arrival I found myself alone on the lake as I was much of last season, just when do other members fish this beautiful lake?

Set up in my favourite spot with both the sun and a very light breeze in my face. I thought I was in the perfumery of Selfridges such was the strong and heady fragrance in the air, what shrub does that come from I wonder?
image.jpg

I normally would be found stuck in front of the telly when my beloved Chelsea are playing but with their recent demise in form and a "calling" to the lake it was no a no brainier.

The fishing resembled their result today, infact most of the football in recent days with hopeless situations turning into a dramatic turnaround.

Fishing corn and meat alternatively I had a few half pound roach early doors, always a nice way to start. Hard going after that until a shoal of these turned up.
image.jpg

After the sixth I was becoming disallusioned with no sign of my intended quarry arriving. Looked at the phone and Chelsea had come from two down to win three two, thoughts turned to regret, should have stayed at home to watch the comeback.

Just an hour left and altered my rig, came off the bottom where I'm usually successful and in moments the comeback was onimage.jpg

Just to give perfect symmetry with today's score a further two were netted and it was a wrench to have to come away from the lake...........plenty of time next week.:)

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Well done John and nice tench! The scent you can smell could be from this shrub

viburnum - Google Search

A Viburnum which looks lovely with its small pink flowers and divine scent! UP here they are a couple of weeks away from their best being colder and 300 miles north !

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
With the change in the weather and the normal Saturday chores out of the way i headed for the local canal one of my normal swims on a cutoff piece of towpath .

Started with a few small roach very nice condition one that i am not at all sure of it LOOKED like a Silver Shark that you get in tropical aquariums ( not the first time i have landed one of theses at this location) i tried to take a picture buti forgot to charge the phone hit the shutter button lights out .

switched to Worms on a size 18 started picking up some nice perch aroud a pound or so each had a massive pull on the line and a huge swil in the water whatever it was straightened my hook out so i am thinking Tench or Carp both to be found to decent size there ..

So at last things are looking up off to the club pool tomorrow worms maggots bread pellets & paste so should do ok ...

PG ...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well done John and nice tench! The scent you can smell could be from this shrub

viburnum - Google Search

A Viburnum which looks lovely with its small pink flowers and divine scent! UP here they are a couple of weeks away from their best being colder and 300 miles north !

Thanks Mike, that fragrance is so strong we often can catch the scent if the wind is in the right direction from our home some five miles away.

john step

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, that fragrance is so strong we often can catch the scent if the wind is in the right direction from our home some five miles away.

It might also be SARCOCOCCA (Christmas box or sweet box). Very strong heady scent. Like a perfume.

mikench

Reaction score
It could be Lilly of the valley or even Jasmine commonly called lady of the night for its really strong but pleasant scent!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The gardens are vast and are home to a variety of plants, shrubs and trees, could be any one of the above. When I see our bailiff (also one of the groundsman) I shall ask, I'm sure he'll know.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I really don't like this time of year. The stillwaters I tend to fish are either yet to wake up from winter or are a bit too full of carp to risk chasing roach with light tackle. The slightly better weather tempted me onto a big, deep, water that usually take a fair bit of sun and decent temperatures to get going. It was pleasant enough in the watery sunshine, but I couldn't buy a bite and saw no signs of fish whatsoever. Lots of gunk floating up from the lake bed and causing chaos with float gear as it drifted about. Once the sun started dropping, the temperatures dropped off rather quickly. Hopefully, the predicted week of good weather will give the place the kickstart it needs.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Started with a few small roach very nice condition one that i am not at all sure of it LOOKED like a Silver Shark that you get in tropical aquariums ( not the first time i have landed one of theses at this location) i tried to take a picture buti forgot to charge the phone hit the shutter button lights out .

One of these was it?

Topmouth-Gudgeon-Closeup.jpg

The topmouth gudgeon Pseudorasbora parva, is a small non-native coarse fish from Asia, introduced to the UK from mainland Europe in 1984, and first formally identified at a fish farm in Hampshire in 1986. Following introduction, the species spread, through a number of routes including fish farm movements and the ornamental fish trade, invading stillwater sites across England and Wales. 23 populations have been formally identified from Cumbria and Yorkshire in the North of England, to the Midlands, South Wales, and from Devon to Sussex in the South of England.

EA progress in eradicating the deadly topmouth gudgeon - Marine Science

Another Dave

Reaction score
Weird if it is one of those because i only found out about them last night, a friend was talking about invasive species and i asked him to look up if there were any freshwater fish.

I think the link's maybe a bit dramatic, after all what fish don't eat other fishes' eggs.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Annual silvers only fixture at Boddington reservior today with another forum.
A vast windswept body of water and today the southerly wind was blowing right to left.

image.jpeg

Set up a waggler, an onion type peacock taking 2swan with a bulk of 7 no 6's and 2 droppers below. Even with this very positive rig it still moved in the considerable tow. A good tinge of colour stirred up by the wind made it look good at the start. Set up a throwaway shallow pole rig in case the roach came up, in the event they didn't.

image.jpeg

Started on single maggot just tripping bottom and smallish roach were on it straight away. A change to double maggot made a difference with the bigger girls joining in...

image.jpeg

During the 5 and a half hours the roach came and went as they do,
at one point I hooked a carp which made short shrift of my 0:07 Hooklink. It wouldn't have counted anyway....

At the end I knew I'd done ok, and at the scales I weighed in 11lb 8oz. I was well chuffed when I learnt I'd won my section of 6.
Then back in the carpark I found I'd come 2nd overall....
The winner having 12lb 1oz.
22 fished...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
One of these was it?

View attachment 4334

The topmouth gudgeon Pseudorasbora parva, is a small non-native coarse fish from Asia, introduced to the UK from mainland Europe in 1984, and first formally identified at a fish farm in Hampshire in 1986. Following introduction, the species spread, through a number of routes including fish farm movements and the ornamental fish trade, invading stillwater sites across England and Wales. 23 populations have been formally identified from Cumbria and Yorkshire in the North of England, to the Midlands, South Wales, and from Devon to Sussex in the South of England.

EA progress in eradicating the deadly topmouth gudgeon - Marine Science

Hi

Wrong shape and the scales dont have the dark border that the gudgeon has this is thje critter Bala shark - Wikipedia

quite a bit of differance .

PG ...

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Had a day at the club pool

not too bad at all plenty of roach with a few good ones around the 1lb mark a very nice Perch close on 3lbs huge thing gave me a right old tugging around on 2.5lb line loads of little tugs from micro roach a couple of snottys 1 lb or so .

No big numbers but a pleasent days fishing with the entire pool to myself ....

PG ...