How did you get on?

nottskev

Reaction score
Mike came down to get away from bream for a couple of days. We headed off to the Old Lake on Wednesday afternoon. We were expecting the forecast change from the heatwave weather, so we were a bit nonplussed to find ourselves scorching in the brilliant sunshine. It's not exactly purgatory after the winter we've had, but it wasn't the optimum afternoon tench situation. Still, the bailiff had planted wooden "Reserved" stakes on our pegs - gives you a bit of a vip vibe - the sun eventually dipped below the trees behind us, and we caught an assortment of fish. Mike was armed with a tasty Hardy reel and Tri-cast rod, and bagged a few tench, some roach and a fairly hefty carp. Here he is landing one on my gear and wondering why he agreed to try this weird pole thing

Mi.jpg

We swapped seats, had a chat and a coffee, and still found time to put a few fish in the net

m22.jpg

Back from the fishing, we were pleased and then some to have Steve (Binka) come down after a day's work and join us for an Indian takeaway and a couple of beers. We admired Steve's latest Perch Box (floats and high-class accessories), waggled a few rods in the kitchen and even had time to eat in the garden before the rain started. Cheers, Steve - we'll try and involve some fishing next time we meet up.

Thursday we were up earlyish, and off to the Tench Lake. We were first on, and had pick of the pegs, which was just as well as the recent rain had put a few inches on the lake, and they were mostly underwater. Today we did get the forecast change, and we were both back and to to the cars to find extra clothes. The fishing started slowly, but as the day warmed we managed to induce a few bites. The other anglers who turned up gave us space, and the social workers minibus full of naughty lads on a character- building day out disappeared to the distant corner of the lake. The farmer/owner told us later that last year they took down an electric fence and he found three trying to start a tractor. My best fish was this nicely coloured bream

m33.jpg

and Mike was on his way to a PB tench score, hampered only by my insistence that he had a go on the pole from time to time. Here he is netting a tench and hoping I'll let him go back to the rod and pin

m44.jpg

It wasn't the Tench Lake's most prolific day, but we managed a few, and had two day's fishing without getting wet, which is not to be sniffed at. Thanks for coming down, Mike. I really enjoyed it, and I'll look forward to next time.

m55.jpg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Great post Kev and I can only reiterate everything you said! I have never used a float rod and pin for two whole days nor caught as many tench in my life!! I think the little ones are cute and well worth catching! A great two days with Kev and lovely to see Steve ( Binka) again for a superb curry ! Friendships forged on this forum are most welcome and very gratifying!

I had never used a pole before so to do so and to catch my most elusive quarry, tench, was special! Cheers Kev and the pole survived the experience!:)

I really enjoyed using the pin even though tangles and loss of control are never far away when I do not have a fish on! The solitary carp gave a good account of itself on a beautiful lake in lovely surroundings! Trotting beckons soon!!!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Kev, inform Mike, where we go next there will be no VIP treatment , he will have to slum it like the rest of us.
If he wants to use a pole, I will take him to buy one and the same goes for a seatbox,
he carried mine for me to test the weight, :wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
A short evening session on the syndicate lake resulted in a nice surprise of three tench. The best was 4lb 12oz.
20180510_191654.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice haul of tench in that net Mike and Kev. You've probably surpassed my tench count in a single session Mike.

Now you've tried a pole, time to try a whip!

john step

Reaction score
The e-Binka virus strikes again. I honestly dont know how you blokes do it.....I have never broken a proper fishing chair in my life.I've scuttled a couple but never snapped one in half !

Its so easy. Weight verses tensile strength. Weight won.:chuncky:

PS. My sandwich maker has just reminded me I have just had my Stressless Chair repaired with parts shipped from Norway>:eek:mg:
She has just added I have broken numerous camping chairs, the first armchair we ever owned, the DFS setee collapsed. I could go on but life is too short.:doh:

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

PS. My sandwich maker has just reminded me I have just had my Stressless Chair repaired with parts shipped from Norway>:eek:mg:
She has just added I have broken numerous camping chairs, the first armchair we ever owned, the DFS setee collapsed. I could go on but life is too short.:doh:

I'm not having it ! My great mate Phil is a big old unit and even he has never broken a chair. I reckon you must drop into them from a tree or something. The Binkmeister only has himself to blame with all his chair "modifications"....given his previous when the drill comes out what could possibly go wrong ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

I know some anglers like to get comfy when fishing, But taking an armchair then a settee with you is going to the extreme :wh

seth49

Reaction score
Different pond yesterday, it’s harder fishing but it contains some good fish, thought it might be worth a go as the water has warmed up finally,
View attachment 4665
Put my sleeper rod out with the method feeder again, and one of the eight mm chocolate orange bandums from Sonu baits, about twenty foot out, hopefully for a tench, and back on the float in the margin with eight mm expanders.
Three small roach then it went quiet for a while, then a really hard pull on the sleeper rod, and then nothing reeled in what ever it was, had snapped the short four inch hook length, feeder must have snagged on something and that was it.
E9429EC5-8D0E-487B-A2F0-1F067EBCEB93.jpg
I then got this one on the float rod, and started to catch a few bream.
DCBF7B7B-717A-40F8-BDEB-7EB9AF48CF2A.jpg
Not many but better fish of three pounds or so, I then hooked a better fish which was giving me a good scrap, think it might have been a tench, but I’ll never no as it came off without me seeing it, later I hooked a carp which also came of, just leaving me a scale on the hook, so I did know what that was.

Had a bit of a walk round and nobody was catching much, just the odd bream and roach, mick moved nearer to my swim as he hadn’t had a bite yet, so he was struggling as well, as usual I’d been throwing a few dog biscuits out for the carp, but didn’t see any carp on the top, and then I did see one come up and take a few, so I put the float rod down and tried a biscuit on the top, one came up for a look and didn’t take, and then one came up and took it.7B5CFF1C-B5CE-49B8-BC22-7A2E6A30261E.jpg
It was half four then and mick had had enough, he’d just had two bream all day, and was ready to go home, I would have stayed longer but he wanted to go, not an easy day but I enjoyed it, if you fished hard and changed methods you could still catch, I’m taking my rake next time as well, there’s a lot of twigs and leaves etc and it would be better out, might fetch the tench in as well.

neil1970

Reaction score
I popped down the local pit for a few chucks after work.
Nice weather and not too many people around.
A small Perch was a welcome sight too.:)

facebook_1526029892060.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With a doctors appointment and a request from SWMBO "we WILL go shopping this afternoon" fishing was far from my thoughts. An early finish at the docs telling me my bloods are normal and my cholesterol has lowered (ha, I laugh in the face of statins and praise the Lord for porridge) had me skipping out the surgery and with four hours til the dreaded Tesco run I was back in the garage raiding the fridge for some leftover corn and meat and grabbing my trusty whip, ten minutes later arriving at the estate with a full three hours fishing ahead.

I had a particular quarry in mind and rigged up with a size 20 hook, most unlike me as I struggle to handle them with my stiff little fingers but it had to be done.

In the first hour fishing two rod lengths out I had one Jimmy Rimmer after another, they do my head in, covered in slime and thrash around in the net splashing that gunk everywhere. With boredom already setting in my yes wandered upwards to admire clouds and vapour trails.

.image.jpg

A change was required and a decision to fish tight into the margin changed everything. Note the new Guru camo rod rest.

image.jpg
Three large bream giving a good account of themselves questioning the whips strength and then a nice tench.

image.jpg

Two more tench quickly followed. Then something much smaller but with a vaguely familiar circling action my hopes were high and with good cause, my first Cru in this lake since they were stocked two months ago, little beauty.
image.jpg

One more tench before hastily packing up, to catch four of them in the middle of the day is a result on this estate lake, this one of the almost black ones.

image.jpg

With the bream, a roach and my goal for the day, that bar of gold, I was well pleased with my three hours. All good at the docs, I even managed to survive Tesco without getting grumpy.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
image.jpg

A return to my Saturday morning venue with my neighbour found it resplendent in it's spring colours.

A nice gentle tow provided by the ingress of the nearby Gade and some colour, it looked good. My neighbour was getting a few on his float fished bread flake as I got set up.

image.jpeg

Started on punch long up the far shelf but it was chublet city so I came shorter down off the shelf with a deeper rig. Double red maggot was the preferred bait on this line, roach, skimmers, dace and perch were lining up.....

Had a bit of a panic moment when I snagged up across as a boat approached, 10m of elastic stretched across the canal. I had to duck my topkit down until it passed. I then had to hand the elastic until my rig became visible followed by the unlikely culprit...

image.jpg

After a good run of bites it started to rain, my mate decided to go but I carried on, not for long though. Midday it seems to switch off here so I slowly packed up.

image.jpg

That and a hat........

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another trip to my local for a couple of hours fishing. I feel I've learnt more over the past 24 hours than I did all last season in the lake.........the quality fish are right under your feet!

I wanted to test some new elastic (courtesy of Nick Gilbert) and perfect my whip set up to handle the larger fish without loss.

Only needed the top two fishing just a couple of feet from the bank.

image.jpg

Within moments of dropping a piece of red corn in, the pole float slid away heading into the adjacent reeds, pleased that one of the lakes rather large goldfish swam away from disaster, the 8lb beauty gave the laccy a perfect test.

image.jpg

In the final hour a couple of tench confirmed the elastic is just right.

image.jpg

And not a single Skimmer! Do they not like the margins?

Difficult not to feel a little smug as I walked back to the car with my two metre whip passing a fellow member bivvied up with three rods out casting what sounded like mortars to the far side, he'd had two bream all day, I maintained a sense of humility, not sure how.

john step

Reaction score
Fished a club "match" lake today as way of revenge for my blank earlier in the week. The carp in there are very strange. You would think they would be mopping up nutritious morsels as loose feed and hook baits. Oh no..all they would take was white bread flake.
Must be hooked on junk food!
I had 8 up to shy of being doubles I estimate.

Nice on the pin.

PS. I enjoy your photos Mr Crabtree.

PPS. I heard my first cuckoo. I know they are getting rare but is this rather late into Spring??

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Another trip to my local for a couple of hours fishing. I feel I've learnt more over the past 24 hours than I did all last season in the lake.........the quality fish are right under your feet!

I wanted to test some new elastic (courtesy of Nick Gilbert) and perfect my whip set up to handle the larger fish without loss.

Only needed the top two fishing just a couple of feet from the bank.

View attachment 4687

Within moments of dropping a piece of red corn in, the pole float slid away heading into the adjacent reeds, pleased that one of the lakes rather large goldfish swam away from disaster, the 8lb beauty gave the laccy a perfect test.

View attachment 4688

In the final hour a couple of tench confirmed the elastic is just right.

View attachment 4689

And not a single Skimmer! Do they not like the margins?

Difficult not to feel a little smug as I walked back to the car with my two metre whip passing a fellow member bivvied up with three rods out casting what sounded like mortars to the far side, he'd had two bream all day, I maintained a sense of humility, not sure how.

What NG elastic were you using ? I have some topkits that are going to need doing, and at half the price of hydro and dura hollo I may give it a go, it is made at the same place as hydro but obviously no liquid in it.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club fixture today on the GUC near Tring. A mystifying pound as nobody knows where the fish will be shoaled up, it can change day to day, no flyers here.

image.jpg

My peg was one I'd won from last year, a good bag of roach on whip and punch. That's what I started with today. A few roach in the first hour then zilch. I could only get bites by fishing punch tight to the far bank cover, a lot of effort for a handful of blades @12m....

image.jpg

Winner found some skimmers and roach on the waggler in the wide turning bay.
Another had some good sized roach on hemp and tares.

B

binka

A few outings for me to catch up and report back on...

Firstly, a week yesterday, I was in full on perch mode on my newly discovered virgin water.

No platforms here...

046.jpg

Despite the heavy artillery and a very targeted approach I failed to find the specimens that I'd spotted during my recce a week or two earlier but I did manage a couple of juniors so at least it avoided a blank.

Sunday saw me on what I now call my old club water, I say old because of the ruin that has become of it after tipping carp after carp into it but I thought I would give it another go.

I went with a tiny black cap feeder with chopped worm and maggot and shortly after chucking out around went the tip which resulted in a clone common of around 8lb.

I returned the fish, packed up and went home! :eek:mg:

Some welcome light relief during the week when I met up with nottskev and mikench during the evening and we shared a very pleasant night eating an al fresco Indian on Kev's very nice back garden whilst discussing all things fishy... Cheers fellas, a very pleasant time and sanity restored.

Which brings me up to this weekend...

I originally planned to get out yesterday but after a flurry of jobs around the house and garden I decided to relax at home and instead give today a try.

We had some heavy rain during the night which seems to have shifted the forecast ahead, from what was originally overcast and around 13° to a very pleasant and sunny 19°.

No need for any early start as I was two minutes from home on my new club water, it very much reminds me of the old farm pond type of lakes…

023.jpg

The feeder stream, which runs alongside and holds some wild brownies, looked quite tempting too but I resisted the urge…

024.jpg

Is it just me or can anyone else see, in their deepest imagination, the golden flanks of a barbel twisting over that sunlit patch of gravel?

Anyway...

My approach was almost a carbon copy of last time with the 13’ light float rod and ‘pin, size 22 barbless spade end whipped to a 1.3lb bottom but this time I went with the baby brother of the float I used last, taking just 2 x no.6 and a couple of no.10 droppers…

012.jpg

The other slight difference was that I went with live krilled reds as opposed to deads and I didn’t bother with any groundbait at all.

Again it was the small, swinger roach to show first but this time around the bream were on it in no time at all with a fairly decent stamp size…

brim.JPG

To cut to the chase and by the close of play this afternoon I reckon I’d had around 65lb – 70lb of bream, close to double figures of swinger roach with the odd netter chucked in for good measure and a couple of pounds of bit perch and all for the sake of a pint and a half of maggots.

Exactly as per last time I lost a carp again and to the more unlikely hook pull rather than a break on such light gear but it didn’t wreck the rig this time…

Ha!

I had a couple of pike with me all day, cunningly waiting for me to return the small roach and it was a bit of a run around to keep them guessing on which side of the swim the next one would be released but, despite the numerous swirls, I reckon the roach came off better on appregate.

I’m really enjoying this water and looking forward to seeing what it has to offer as the season progresses :w