How did you get on?

john step

Reaction score
A warm sunny day on a club easy lake. I have gone to the dark side. I targeted the carp on my feeder rod with a bread cage feeder.
I had 4 mirrors to 12lb and a F1. Good fun on 8lb line as the water is very deep and they take off at a great rate of knots.

Any one else use one of these? Korum are easier to load than the sperical Enterprise ones. I find them great for bread/paste/meat. Keeps the tiddlers at bay.

View attachment 4728

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
A warm sunny day on a club easy lake. I have gone to the dark side. I targeted the carp on my feeder rod with a bread cage feeder.
I had 4 mirrors to 12lb and a F1. Good fun on 8lb line as the water is very deep and they take off at a great rate of knots.

Any one else use one of these? Korum are easier to load than the sperical Enterprise ones. I find them great for bread/paste/meat. Keeps the tiddlers at bay.

View attachment 4728

Blimey - is it my screen or is that knotless-knot rigged gaff? :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
He said he had gone to the dark side. He's dead right - he's taken up sea fishing!!

(If you look closely, I think you can just see a float)

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
A red letter evening on the syndicate. When there's no more than 150 tench in about 25 acres, to get eight in just over four hours was rather satisfying. They ranged from 3lb 2oz to 5lb 10oz. The pic is of the biggest.

20180518_202001.jpg

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think most of us would be happy with that sort of catch - Mikench included! Beautiful specimen..

I cannot recall when last I had such a bag, it's been that long!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I did think Sam might've expanded on tactics, bait etc etc. to complete the picture.

I DO like a good story........................

Still, we have a very nice pic!

mikench

Reaction score
Sam rarely does!:) I set out early yesterday to the snake lake I had visited the day before! The sun was up and there was a mist over the water with steam rising ! All in all a beautiful sight which so captivated me I forgot to take a pic!

I set up a 13 ' float rod and my new pin and, after plumbing the depth( I do this physically and metaphorically on a regular basis) I cast in a maggot on a 20 hook and 2lb hooklength! I feel so at ease with the pin when there isn't a breath of wind and I have room to cast! Almost at once the float dipped and I had my first fish of the day, a lovely crucian of about 8 oz. another dozen followed, none bigger over the coarse of the morning along with several tiny skimmers and roach !

Around 12 the fishing died but with a hot sun and an atmospheric setting of 1034 not surprising! I packed up around 2.30 Just after my last little skimmer! I spoke with a few guys who were fishing on the feeder who had caught very few so float tactics were clearly the order of the day! An enjoyable day and further pin practice !

Tigger will be worried!:wh

thecrow

Reaction score
Fished another "new club" water yesterday, I know nothing about it other than it is reputed to hold good stocks of all species so being a lazy so and so I set up in one of the designated disabled swims close to my car, I was quite surprised at the depth with around 7 feet at the rod tip gradually sloping off to 10 ft,

Set up with a 13ft mach 3 with 4lb reel line to a 18s to 1.7lb bottom caught steadily throughout the morning, Perch, roach and skimmers a few required the net but more out of not wanting to damage the hook length than size of the fish, enjoyable morning in nice surroundings, heard 2 cuckoos calling from different directions while the Mallard chicks in front of me provided some entertainment as they scurried about taking flies from the surface.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I did think Sam might've expanded on tactics, bait etc etc. to complete the picture.

I DO like a good story........................

Still, we have a very nice pic!

I might expand a bit when I have a bit more time, but writing tomes at midnight isn't my idea of fun. Just for you, the bait was plain and simple maggots. Just using up last week's dregs before getting some more. I went heavy last night, 5lb mainline with 4.4lb Supplex Fluoro hooklink and a size 14 Drennan wide gape match. I was using a Polaris float in conjunction with a small maggot feeder. That didn't stop me pinging maggots over the top with a catapult. The rod was my trusty 15' Acolyte Plus (abusing it mercilessly) and the reel a shiny new Stradic Ci4+ 4000RA. The fish started off fairly close in at a couple of rod lengths. As the evening wore on, the fizzing in the softer margins stopped as they drifted down the slope. I followed them and continued to catch. Have a bonus pic too.
20180518_193508.jpg

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Sam rarely does!:) I set out early yesterday to the snake lake I had visited the day before! The sun was up and there was a mist over the water with steam rising ! All in all a beautiful sight which so captivated me I forgot to take a pic!

I set up a 13 ' float rod and my new pin and, after plumbing the depth( I do this physically and metaphorically on a regular basis) I cast in a maggot on a 20 hook and 2lb hooklength! I feel so at ease with the pin when there isn't a breath of wind and I have room to cast! Almost at once the float dipped and I had my first fish of the day, a lovely crucian of about 8 oz. another dozen followed, none bigger over the coarse of the morning along with several tiny skimmers and roach !

Around 12 the fishing died but with a hot sun and an atmospheric setting of 1034 not surprising! I packed up around 2.30 Just after my last little skimmer! I spoke with a few guys who were fishing on the feeder who had caught very few so float tactics were clearly the order of the day! An enjoyable day and further pin practice !

Tigger will be worried!:wh

As keeper of the crucian waters list I'd be interested if the water you caught these from is on our list and if you have any pictures. Crucian Fisheries

mikench

Reaction score
Mark it's called Dunham Fisheries in Dunham Massey Cheshire! It's a day ticket water but on my club card. The photos on the website , particularly of the original snake lake, do not do it justice as it is really rather pretty and picturesque.

I will take some pics next time I catch. I thought , cute as they were small crucians were unlikely to set the heart racing!:)

It clearly has a lot as many anglers were there just for them as indeed was I as I have given up on tench at this venue:(

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Saw my neighbour leaving for the canal this morning, when I got there half an hour later the towpath was closed for maintenance. Drove around to other nearby venues but couldn't see his car?

I ended up on this nice pound with the river Gade entering under the bridge to my right.

image.jpg

It looked very fishable with the right to left flow to about the middle of the canal. I set up a light stick float and trotted maggots 2 rod lengths out. Minnows and bleak to start with before I altered my shotting, get it down quick type bulk and droppers.
That slowed it down a bit and I was able to hold back and drop the bait enticingly. A short run of quality dace ensued before the sun got on the target area.

image.jpg

Packed up after 2 hours and sped home to watch the big event....
My neighbours car was not there so where he ended up I don't know?

image.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mark it's called Dunham Fisheries in Dunham Massey Cheshire! It's a day ticket water but on my club card. The photos on the website , particularly of the original snake lake, do not do it justice as it is really rather pretty and picturesque.

I will take some pics next time I catch. I thought , cute as they were small crucians were unlikely to set the heart racing!:)

It clearly has a lot as many anglers were there just for them as indeed was I as I have given up on tench at this venue:(

I've added it to the master list as a 'U' water pending photos to check if thay are crucians. It won't appear online until about July.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fished the estate today from. 09-30 til 15-30 and it was a miserable day (apart from nice weather), a few skimmers with a solitary roach and one decent sized bream. I did however manage to miss the Royal shenanigans and get back in time for the kick off, best take of the day (so far), Eden's pen. against Man U. ??????