How did you get on?

cg74

Reaction score
cg74.........Two very nice roach and of a size most would consider ' fish of a lifetime '...pity we have no photographs to brighten a cold winters day !!

Personally , I would be quite happy for the fish just shy of the 2lb mark to grace my landing net at any time, but more so at this time of year and the odd ounce would be of little concern to me ! In fact, I would probably put it down to rusty scales................

Anyway, congratulations on both fish and the quality bit of fishing also made a good read !

I've been very lucky with the size of roach that have come my way. Take the water I caught these two from, in the very early 90's it was throwing up endless quality fish which got rarer year on year, up until the mid 90's and then they were all gone!
But often these things are natural cyclical changes (18-20yrs for roach?), though I've caught a few other good sized roach over the past couple years, I've a feeling that I might have left it a little late to really cash in.

I've never been one for faffing around taking trophy shots but I'll make a point of taking a few next time (and there will be a next time, I hope), as I think a report is brightened up by there inclusion.

I know many don't get the weight thing but for me that ounce matters, a bit like a sprinter wanting to run sub 10 seconds, 10.00s just isn't good enough, it needs to be 9.99s and being a personal thing; you can't really cheat yourself.

nicepix

Reaction score
"mais je peche pour les carps avec spinners monsieur officer?"

"Ce est la Charente. Pas la Colne Valley Monsieur. Je profite de votre attirail de pêche."

Actuallemont the first 20lb+ carp I caught from that lake had a 3" red & white plug firmly embedded in its mouth.

B

binka

A refusal at the first and second fence for me this weekend and just can't find me mojo, most unusual considering I didn't get out in the week either.

Should have been out yesterday and decided instead to get stuff done for Christmas with the option of getting out today but I've decided that ain't happening either.

I think I've got a big part of my focus struggling to get beyond Tuesday when I break up for three weeks and will then have all the time in the world to get out, might treat meself to a new set of thermals in the meantime.

greenie62

Reaction score
Bank-high water - leaves, twigs, branches, things that wouldn't even reveal themselves - and moving fast - our long awaited Grayling Day arrived on Friday with difficult conditions - and that was just getting to the Dyfrdwy/Dee - snow, rain, hail, bright low sunshine glinting off the icy roads. A few small Ladies were the result given that the swims we planned on fishing were unfishable :eek: - or would have been if we could have found them - more luck we got them rather than angling skill! Can't wait to go again! ;):rolleyes::eek:

edsurf

Reaction score
Fished a mill stream , Caught fish all day mixed bag of chub,dace and a few nice roach trotting , Got hit four times by a pike, wish I had taken some gear to go after them.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I phoned my fishing buddy Saturday , he reported that the pond near him were frozen , he'd fished a lke on Thursday for pike and had one run all day

I had a few things to sort out so gave Saturday a miss , I'm thinking off going lure fishing for a couple of hours today

nicepix

Reaction score
I phoned my fishing buddy Saturday , he reported that the pond near him were frozen , he'd fished a lke on Thursday for pike and had one run all day

I had a few things to sort out so gave Saturday a miss , I'm thinking off going lure fishing for a couple of hours today

I'd be tempted to give the Don at Hillsborough a go. Some smashing grayling in there.

lambert1

Reaction score
A refusal at the first and second fence for me this weekend and just can't find me mojo, most unusual considering I didn't get out in the week either.

Should have been out yesterday and decided instead to get stuff done for Christmas with the option of getting out today but I've decided that ain't happening either.

I think I've got a big part of my focus struggling to get beyond Tuesday when I break up for three weeks and will then have all the time in the world to get out, might treat meself to a new set of thermals in the meantime.

Like this Steve?:eek:mg::wh
Men Thermal Union Suit Style 24746 - Hanes Men Thermals 24746

greenie62

Reaction score
Don't forget though that despite your camo' undies you'll still have to cast 150 yds to be able to catch a carp ;)

I can probably keep it down to that if I 'detune' my multiplier - only snag though is - I can't fold the handle! ;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
By the time I'd reached Marlow (Bucks) this morning at 8am the temperature had reached a balmy -3 degrees. Not long after the sun had begrudgingly cleared the horizon and eventually it became quite pleasant sitting in a draught proof corner. Fortunately it was a windless morning, but this didn't last as around 11am it came at me from all directions and I felt colder as a result.
To be perfectly honest I didn't expect too much in the way of fish so missing numerous bites on maggots from the off was disappointing, particularly when another sail away bite resulted in a nice 10" roach on white maggot, fished over depth. This was followed by a 1lb perch plus a few bits. Another absolutely identical bite an hour later produced another roach, a little bigger than the first.
Enter the blustery wind at this point and exit the fish, as apart from some annoying dips of the float, I failed to connect with anything else.By this time the hot water for tea had long gone so I decided to call it a day around 1pm....

Driving home I thought it a disappointing morning, but on reflection and considering the weather conditions, I imagine many anglers who ventured out this morning would probably have been happy to have caught my bag................

Time to restock with bait tomorrow so probably out again Tuesday and Wednesday, the latter promising to be milder, but wet !!

law

Reaction score
I spent the morning trotting on a private river yesterday. Was my first go with a pin, and after a couple of tangles I got the hang of it :)
Was fairly quiet though- had one chub of a couple of pounds, a small brown trout and a small wilde trout.
Then swapped gear and headed down stream to find some pike. No luck for the pike, but had this 5lb10oz brownie on a 8" sardine!
Then to top it off, had the same fish again half hour later from 20yards up stream!

10624668_10152437468832307_5108506279935805198_n.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club fixture today on the Thames, Wallingford oxfordshire. Heavy frost on the car and a bit of a hangover had me wondering whether I really wanted to drive 40 miles then walk my barrow over the muddy fields to the river.
An hour and a half later I was on the bank. The river was very coloured and pushing hard down the middle. Fished the slack close in catching tiny gudgeon and chublets on stick and pinkie. Swapped to feeder with groundbait and pinkie out in the flow, catching tiny gudgeon and chublets.....
6 hours later I weighed in 0:14:8.:(

Winner had 9:14 and second 5:10.

7 fished.

The Runner

Reaction score
Another non fishing day for me. Last night was the landlord of my local's 60th birthday bash- other half decided against it as she had to get up very early for work this morning and she has previous experience of dos there (either that or this was my reward for yesterday- see a couple of pages back) so went there on my own shortly after 9. Got home sometime after 3 this morning which I think makes me a bit of a lightweight as it was still packed when I left and apparently things finally wound down somewhere around 7...
Took a head clearance walk round the river this afternoon- conditions looked good but it was virtually deserted- one barbel angler blanking just above the weir and that was it.