Thanks Thanks:  615
Likes Likes:  80,196
Page 52 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354621021525521052 ... LastLast
    binka Guest

Default Re: How did you get on?

Do I spot a hint of a perfectly intact Nash Nomad there?

If you want the bespoke, super strength upgrade Simon just let me know whether you want the wheel or caterpillar track option to drag it along with

Quote Originally Posted by cg74 View Post
    Like I said, it was just offering a cautionary word both for you and anyone else but see below; you clearly state your freespool (baitrunner) was engaged.
    Maybe I should have pointed out that I was just having a go, with it on probably just less than three-quarters tight, I know it was big as I saw it get off the hook and dart probably 50 yards downstream. It ended in disaster, no fish were harmed, I shall not be using a baitrunner in this situation again. Have considered taking the baitrunner reel off my barbel rod but it's too tempting not to...

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    So facking what!

Let's see some pics or reports of your fishing?
    So what; my response was placed to show Cal had used a freespool...

Why would you want to know what I've caught as you have no interest in my opinions or advice offered?

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cal_sutt View Post
    Maybe I should have pointed out that I was just having a go, with it on probably just less than three-quarters tight, I know it was big as I saw it get off the hook and dart probably 50 yards downstream. It ended in disaster, no fish were harmed, I shall not be using a baitrunner in this situation again. Have considered taking the baitrunner reel off my barbel rod but it's too tempting not to...
    No worries, we all make mistakes and I imagine seeing a biggy swimming away after snapping you off will be an ongoing reminder.

I had a trotting session after tea last night and decided to fish a stretch i'd never fished before but had just never got round to it. The stretch is very rocky and the river bed is made up of rocks and boulders of varying sizes from small rocks to large boulders that are coverd in algie wich is every bit as slipery as ice ! The varying sized rocks and algie makes it very alkward when wading out to the better looking glides as it's necessary to wade quite a distance through shallow water before reaching any depth. The stretch consists of runs of fast flowing water of only a few inches deep which flows into deeper scolloped out glides of a couple of feet deep only to go very shallow again. It carries on like that for seven or more hundred yards before the river evens out to a more normal pace (to slow at the moment for decent trotting).
    I didn't get anything of any real size but had chub, dace roach and barbel and it was an enjoyable session. I did get a immaculate roach and would say it was well over a pound but as I tryed to take a picture of it (mid river) it slipped out of my hand....darn it !
    Here's the only pic I did take....

binka Guest

Last edited by binka; 11-10-2014 at 08:04.

Well first time out for a few weeks and not too shabby at that .

9 lbs of Roach all good size 8 to 10 inches .
    just under 4 lbs of Perch (some too small to weigh)
    and an assortment of skimmers and small Rudd .

All within 500 Mtrs of the front door as the crow flies ......

Oh and almost forgot the 2 freakin RIB's that were flying up and down the cut causing waves half a mile high need some heavy piano wire to shave the bottom off the dang things give em wet feet

PG

Maggot dangler

If your using braided line please take care not to allow any lengths of loose line to float on the surface where it can become entangled around the props of those ribs.

Because braid has a poly basis it melts very easily under high the temperatures caused when its wrapped around a spinning prop and shaft.

The resultant mess usually ends up totally destroying the rubber bushing inside the prop itself and sometimes even the bearing inside the lower end of the outboard.
    Needless to say the cost of replacement bearings and difficulty of removing the melted line from the shaft and bearing housing is absolutely horrendous

Just thought I'd mention it

8. Default Re: How did you get on?

Fished my local commercial last night (Alvechurch, south of Birmingham) and took a new PB at just over 10lb;

Not that impressive as a PB really, but i've only been fishing for a few weeks after a 12 year break when I was a kid

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Talking Re: How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    Maggot dangler

If your using braided line please take care not to allow any lengths of loose line to float on the surface where it can become entangled around the props of those ribs.

Because braid has a poly basis it melts very easily under high the temperatures caused when its wrapped around a spinning prop and shaft.

The resultant mess usually ends up totally destroying the rubber bushing inside the prop itself and sometimes even the bearing inside the lower end of the outboard.
    Needless to say the cost of replacement bearings and difficulty of removing the melted line from the shaft and bearing housing is absolutely horrendous

Very important safety tip there Mick . Wouldn't want that to happen !

Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    Maggot dangler

As if i would do such a thing tut tut tut know what i mean like He He He i got best part of 1 kilometer of that blue nylon rubbish as well