How did you get on?

nicepix

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice lifestyle! I never heard of anyone making a living from moles before.

Its not a living. More of a welcome top up to my police pension ;)

In the past though, 18th century mole trappers were paid more than doctors and teachers. Now, we'd better drop this before Crabtree throws a strop about going off topic :D

flightliner

Reaction score
Dangerous things moles. I once had a job interview -- maybe a little to highbrow at the time for a working lad- the guy asked me what the last book was that I'd read and told him truthfully that it was about the life of a molecatcher in Nofolk (like that kind of stuff-- MckensieThorpe , Lincolnshire poacher is another).
Anyway the guys eyebrows raised followed by a slight frown--- "Any classics" came the reply-- I was going to say " classic cars" but bit my lip.
"Ask the next chap to come in on your way out" ------ Bloody Moles!!!!!

greenie62

Reaction score
Chilly day, so decided I'd try and tempt a toothy critter with a sprat or two - found someone had put the lid on the canal!:eek:
Walked up the towpath a couple of hundred metres to where there is an outflow - the whole 'junction' was clear so float-fished a sprat around the junction like a good-time gal flaunting her wares - no takers!:eek:
IMG_1140R_zpsbgv68fpw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The edge of the frozen/melted area had a water temperature of 2.5C and air temp of 3.5C at 9am and the outflow was 4.2C, the air temp was up to 5.7 at lunchtime! - semi-tropical!

Total catch = 0 fish, 1 large plastic bag - it fought better than some bream I've had! - 3 branches, loads of leaves. Tried various depths, twitched, sink and draw, go with the flow, combinations of the above - nada.:eek:mg:

Tomorrow's another day!

nicepix

Reaction score
Dangerous things moles. I once had a job interview -- maybe a little to highbrow at the time for a working lad- the guy asked me what the last book was that I'd read and told him truthfully that it was about the life of a molecatcher in Nofolk (like that kind of stuff-- MckensieThorpe , Lincolnshire poacher is another).
Anyway the guys eyebrows raised followed by a slight frown--- "Any classics" came the reply-- I was going to say " classic cars" but bit my lip.
"Ask the next chap to come in on your way out" ------ Bloody Moles!!!!!

Definition of a classic is that it is available free on Amazon Kindle whereas your book will retail at twenty quid or more.

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Chilly day, so decided I'd try and tempt a toothy critter with a sprat or two - found someone had put the lid on the canal!:eek:
Walked up the towpath a couple of hundred metres to where there is an outflow - the whole 'junction' was clear so float-fished a sprat around the junction like a good-time gal flaunting her wares - no takers!:eek:
IMG_1140R_zpsbgv68fpw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The edge of the frozen/melted area had a water temperature of 2.5C and air temp of 3.5C at 9am and the outflow was 4.2C, the air temp was up to 5.7 at lunchtime! - semi-tropical!

Total catch = 0 fish, 1 large plastic bag - it fought better than some bream I've had! - 3 branches, loads of leaves. Tried various depths, twitched, sink and draw, go with the flow, combinations of the above - nada.:eek:mg:

Tomorrow's another day!

Couldn't you get one of those helpful barge dwellers to drive up and down and break the ice for you?

greenie62

Reaction score
...Couldn't you get one of those helpful barge dwellers to drive up and down and break the ice for you?

Unfortunately, the C&RT Icebreaker/Weedcutter was last seen stranded at the top of Wigan's famous fight of locks - 2 of which have been drained to repair a lock gate and are not due to be re-filled until next weekend! It's the Leeds&Liverpool canal equivalent of shutting junctions 4-7 of the M1 - nowt moves!:eek:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think some, including me, need to get out and catch some fish, otherwise I can see Simon having the Thread closed ! Far too many 'non catching threads now...

greenie... Are you sure Wigan has a ' famous flight of locks ' ?? I asked my missus, (born and bred ) about this and she went very quiet and somewhat sheepish....Obviously spent too much time in the flesh pots of Wigan as a young women - either that, or she didn't know many fishermen !!

I'm out tomorrow and Sunday, Simon, so watch this space for more fishless blurb.........

greenie62

Reaction score
...greenie... Are you sure Wigan has a ' famous flight of locks ' ?? I asked my missus, (born and bred ) about this and she went very quiet and somewhat sheepish....Obviously spent too much time in the flesh pots of Wigan as a young women - either that, or she didn't know many fishermen !!.........

Fishing is near impossible on this length because of the number, depth and closeness of the locks - there are 20-odd in 2 miles rising over 200ft - see this link for details: Wigan Locks — information – CanalPlanAC[/feature/8:]

Yesterday I fished just after the bottom of the flight where the junction goes off to the 'Pier' across from the old Girobank back-up site - normally a known pike hotspot - just not for me yesterday!
:thumbs:

bracket

Reaction score
Being mindful that the short course fishing season on the Frome ends Febuary 28th, I have been desperate to get out this week. Unfortunately, snow, ice and a practical wife telling me to "Use your common sense, going out in this, what would happen to me if you collapsed on the bank?" had stopped me. Finally made it out yesterday, after reassuring my Lady that should anything happen, all the cash was in joint accounts, I was well insured and had left one of my raised beds vacant, if her wanted to plant me. So off I went, in bright sunshine, an air temperature of 2C and a light breeze. The river was in good nick, normal level, the breeze over the shoulder and up-gate, ideal for the stick. I struggled the first hour with out a bite, but conditions were so good it was enough just to put the stick through. After a switch from red maggot the white, I took a trout of 2lbs on the hour and then, as often happens in winter, I had a little productive 45 minute spell when I took 8 more decent fish, then back to struggling. Just before noon the wind got up and backed around to the North East, almost cutting you in half. Time to knock it on the head Pete. Finished up with 8 grayling and five trout, in three hours, so, happy with that. With only three more weeks left I should manage another 6 to 8 sessions and then that is it for this area of the Frome until December. Pete.

B

binka

Nice to get out for a few hours trotting earlier, a glorious day but a bitterly cold wind on the back of another solid ground frost.

I managed a few small chub to maggot which I was very grateful for and they were in nice condition too now that the rivers have fined down again…

Thoroughly enjoyed it, back out tomorrow in the hope of a pike or two.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A few hours grabbed on a very low river that's carrying a strange greeinsh tinge of colour.

I started off fishing a deep peg that has changed a fair bit after the recent floods. It looks like there should be fished stacked up in it. Unfortunately, just like the last time I tried it, I couldn't buy a bite.

A move downstream to a favoured peg, which has also changed a fair bit since Christmas, was on the cards. The move didn't pay dividends immediately. I did get a couple of unhittable bites and bumped what was probably a small grayling. After a further biteless hour, I was beginning to think they just weren't at it when a decent bite was met with a fairly solid resistance. It turned out to be a grayling of 1lb 3oz. After that, I continued to get the odd bite and ended up with six more grayling, including another at 1lb 3oz.
410793749.jpg

greenie62

Reaction score
A few hours grabbed on a very low river that's carrying a strange greeinsh tinge of colour.....

Canals mainly frozen still, ponds and lakes too - notified that the weekends Pike Match is cancelled 'cos they can't guarantee more than 2 unfrozen/fishable pegs!:eek:

Afternoon on the R. Croal through a nearby park - thought it should be ideal after fining down - it had almost reduced to a trickle! It was the lowest I've seen it this last 6mths! With it being clearer than I've seen it before it was like a different river! You could actually see the boulders, bags, branches and bike bits on the bottom which have claimed so much tackle this year - not a fish in sight, not a flash, not a bite, not a disturbed loose-fed maggot!

Air temp 5C at lunchtime, dropping to 1.7C by 4.30, Water temp 3.4 throughout.

Moved downstream to a couple of other swims - nothing doing there either - wish we had some grayling in the river!

nicepix

Reaction score
5C :eek: Tropical or what? Never got above zero here and that was 3 degrees more than overnight. At least we are now looking forward to increasing temps each successive day for the next week or so. Should be warm enough to warrant fishing by Thursday :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got to the river at 2.30pm today so a good 2 1/2 hours to trott my float :). It was the best day conditons wise i've fished in for yonk's !

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
I fished a backwater with a mate today, 12-5pm.
Tried a few swims, with meat and pellet, not a touch.
Still enjoyable, despite the wind.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a short trotting session this afternoon, had just over an hour of good light to fish in but the fish where there waiting to be wound in.

Last edited:
B

binka

Is that one of the heavy Woody's floats Ian?

If so i've got a few of those and used them to good effect towards the back end of last season, not had the swim to need them this season as yet but likely will do over the coming weeks.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is that one of the heavy Woody's floats Ian?

If so i've got a few of those and used them to good effect towards the back end of last season, not had the swim to need them this season as yet but likely will do over the coming weeks.

Hello Steve,
no it's a Steve Maher avon bolo with a carbon stem (similar to the Woodys in body). They're my personal favourites. The one in the pic's is a 4grm version which covers a lot of different contitions. I have the Woodys alloy stemmed floats also and usually use them in powerfull riffles as they're nice and stable, they'resuperb floats also.