How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Until the very last line I was wondering where you could fish at Lakeside!

Lovely report.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Fished the Dam a few times since last posting but have been a wire short of a USB cable. The old one got utilized in a permanent fixture where the other four have gone is anyone's guess and I wasn't paying £15+ from Curry's!

For those that aren't familiar, the Dam from the dam head, east to the left. There's about another 200M beyond what looks like the far end.

LD_FULL_20190712_052349_sml.jpg

Got a right royal soaking first trip but still caught 62, one skimmer of around 1:1.5lb the rest Roach but not bad sizes. Unusually they were taking corn for the most part. Corn hasn't done well up til now, particularly in the morning. I'd get one or two on corn but mostly they've been caster dominated sessions. There are signs of big fish feeding which there haven't been up til now. I'm guessing it's down to the spot being in the shade for most of the day until late summer. Second trip fished like a plonker. Couldn't make my mind up whether to fish up or down and ended up doing neither very well or both badly depending how you look at it. Did catch 25 Roach despite that and one really nice one maybe just under 1lb:

LD_Roach_20190712_080109_sml.jpg

Third trip much like the first minus the skimmer and the rain - 42 but it's maggots ruling the day.

Last trip, same peg and they're going for Tares. Very strange. There's just no way of telling what's going to work best on the day. Had mikench's Pike for company for much of the day. I couldn't see it, the water's a bit coloured anyway with all her crashing about but suspect she was parked right under the peg. I kept putting the fish back in in different places but she stuck around eventually getting her teeth well and truly locked into the landing net which is now bent. 52 altogether with one good sized Roach and a bonus Perch which took a caster.

LD_Roach_20190716_163608_sml.jpg

LD_Perch_20190716_102454_sml.jpg

Chatted to the lady angler on the way back and she's got a sizeable Pike parked by the peg, motionless and clearly visible, probably around 6:7lb.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club fixture yesterday on the Thames at the Medley, Oxford.

E07-E2985-E3-EE-446-B-932-F-2-AA45-F505-B05.jpg

This was the scene at 9am.

8-A94-D104-1-F0-C-47-CE-8227-1-B4849-FED512.jpg

With a nice view over Port meadow opposite and a favourable upstream wind, what could go wrong?
The river is shallow compared to other stretches at a max of 5’ deep in most places so naturally there’s weed growth during the summer.
I did set up a feeder but found it impossible to find any spots without weed.
Out came the 15’ rod and peacock waggler set shallowish to just trip across the top of the weed.
At the all in I started spraying hemp around a third of the way across the river. Tare on a 16b611 and first chuck hooked a nice 8oz roach. Was this to be the start of a roach bonanza?
They kept coming as I alternated between tare and corn with a pouch of hemp every cast.
I did try maggots or casters but got bleaked out every time.
As the morning went on a few groups of families, students and kids turned up and sat on the grass behind me, it got progressively noisier. The bites slowed but I was picking off the odd roach meantime. By 2pm the throng of Oxfords finest grew bigger with inflatable boats, surfboards, people swimming and dogs chasing balls .
Despite the pandemonium I fished on.
A group of teenage girls appeared in the next swim down to my left, It seemed like they were having a competition to see who could scream and shout the loudest. Their pink inflatable unicorn naturally caught the flow and they soon ended up in my target area.

7-F9-DE511-D0-B0-418-D-8-B21-AD2165426-E9-A.jpg

I could do nothing so remained calm and did still catch the odd roach despite the racket.

Ended up with 5:14:0, all roach and one chub....

0346-D6-E2-7-BC7-4491-9-AD5-B55-C6986-B7-A7.jpg

.....which got me 6th place out of 12 . Winner had 2 big bream + bits for 11lb, all the framers had persevered with the feeder and caught bream despite the weed.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Nice venue. I know it but I must ask why a club would pick this known "resort" area for a match this time of year on a Sunday?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Over 20 years ago I put a Barclays Bank AA match on Medley - 24 pegs - and it was on the last Saturday in July in a heatwave. Many of the anglers by then had switched to commercials so it was an ordeal by water for many but it fished well despite the boats and swimmers. I had a dozen 18-year-old German female canoeists in the swim above which wasn't pegged but distracting although they were courteous and didn't disturb me. The colour induced by the general commotion plus the heat meant the river fished well though a 'ringer' for the local team won with 24lbs, 17lb was 2nd and I was 3rd with 16lbs, mainly a mix of silver bream and roach on caster on the waggler plus a bonus 5lb bream, also on the waggler. One angler moaned to me at the end but as I explained a bite a cast for 5 hours can hardly be faulted!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another day chasing the Rudd on Stonar lake. Arrived at 5-30am and it was already t shirt weather. Hopes were high for a good haul of the golden bars with hot sunny conditions.

Usual setup, whip for shallow, rod with slider float for deep exploration.

A truly disappointing day, lots of bream but just four rudd, three being caught on the deck in 20ft of water, the best going a pound and a half.

Think I chose the wrong side of the lake, the wind has changed direction I wonder if the guys on the other side did any better.

EivuPuQ.jpg

peterjg

Reaction score
Peter Cràbtree: your catch in those conditions was fantastic, I take my hat off to you (not joking). You have more patience than I have!

Reaction score
Not only that Simon,if it had been overcast and blowy,you wouldn't have had the issue,sad,but it's how lady luck treats you,,the venue is full of fish,but many things can go against you,that's just one of them....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've been down to Godalming again today chasing crucians and for once I wasn't pestered by tench....not that I've got anything against tench but I dont get up at silly o'clock and hack my way round the M25 to catch them.

No....its crucians I want down there and today the fishing gods smiled upon me. Unfortunately my phone is dead so I'll post some pics once it ( and I) have recovered.

Despite arriving at about 10 past 5 all my favourite swims were occupied which forced me to go elsewhere...and am I ever glad I did. Picked a spot just up from the corner into which the wind was blowing which, I think, was significant and a damned fine choice. I had a crucian first chuck and caught steadily all day until the sun came out about 3-30.

I finished with 23 crucians, 1 tench and a carp. The tench was about 3lb...the carp an ounce shy of 21lb ( and I lost a bigger one cos I couldnt get it in my 26" net ! ) . The smallest crucian went 2lb 3oz...the biggest 3lb 10oz and I had 14 over 3lb in weight. I was most certainly not expecting that.

I dont know how I'm going to tell the BF. He was full of it after his trip last week which produced 11 tench and 4 crucians.

1 on a 6mm pellet, 2 on rubber casters and the rest on artificial corn inc both carp.

That'll do nicely thank you very much.

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
I got out on the river for a quick one last night.
The target was perch and chub.
I caught a couple of perch before this crashed the party.
Took my first fish selfie as well.....could have turned out better:eek:mg:

Stalker

Reaction score
Went to one of the local pits with the father in law last week. Targeting tench, but they didn't oblige (not a sniff of one all day), so instead we were bagging up on silvers. I reckon we managed 20-30lb bags each, including roach, rudd and hybrids up to about half a pound. It was a fun and productive day, but a tad frustrating that nothing more sizable put in an appearance.

More annoyingly, a shoal of decent sized rudd to over 2lb were congregating in a large hole in the weed in FIL's swim, but they were too far out for the sensible gear that we both had with us and neither of us could reach them.

At least we know for next time...

theartist

Reaction score
Very nice fish Neil, but that fish looks a lot happier than you mate :)

Keith

We've all got one like that, I got one of my first big roach years ago and it was a case of "Dad it's the silver button.... no the big one...no the one on top...FFS dad".... Click! "Done it son, you could have smiled"

Oh the wonders in hindsight of a decent camera with a good self timer

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As promised here's a selection from yesterdays crucianfest....with a gatecrashing apple slice mirror.

IMG_1269.jpg

3-3 and 2-9..I'd just landed the bigger one when the other rod roared off.This happened twice.
IMG_1271.jpg

3-4 ( I think ? )

IMG_1262.jpg

3-10...best of the day.

IMG_1281.jpg

The Gatecrasher.....20lb 15oz

Happy Days !

Sorry....just checked my notes/times. That 3-10 above is actually a 3-5.This is the 3-10 with apologies for the rubbish photo ( the sun had come out) and the Binka-esque foot shot

IMG_1287.jpg

Typical ! Its inverted

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Another much-anticipated trip to the club lake with fingers firmly crossed that some spots we knew to have day-long shade weren’t occupied. They weren’t and so I set up on the swim I fished last week as it has literally tons of water to have a go at.

Started on my favourite banjo feeder packed with damp micros, a chocolate orange 6mm wafter and a splodge of Tiger Nut Goo. Stuck with this for around half an hour through some twitches and nudges but nothing positive.

Change of tactic and on went an in-line Bomb, a 15” banded hooklink and an 8mm carp pellet. Cast to an aerator, as it’s always easier to fire feed over the top if you’ve got something to aim at.

After the third pouch of pellets, the rod pulled round and the Baitrunner screamed and after 10 minutes of arm aching battle, in came a bit of a lump. I don’t weigh fish much any more so your guess is as good as mine!

The day moved steadily forward and my total had advanced to 12 fish by the time we decided to call it a day at 3:30. My mate in the swim next door only had 3 but they were all lumps. Of my 12 four of them were lumps, one was a bream (ugh) and one was a tench of around 1.5lbs, couple of mirrors and the rest F1s.

I used to use Bomb and Pellet to great effect on another water in the past and it’s the first time I’ve used it on my club lake. Certainly seemed to sort out some of the larger fish anyway.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
We had a bit of rain on Saturday which put a couple of inches on the river, which needed refreshing. With a further heatwave forecast, I thought I'd have a couple of hours on Sunday evening before the low,clear and bright conditions settled in again.

I must have been in a masochistic mood as I picked a pig of a swim that looked fishy but was a nightmare to sit in. With a 30 ft bare earth slope, everything wanted to slide into the river. I even wound a screw-in bankstick into the ground and tied a rope to it, just in case.

I started off with no feed and a bit of flavoured punched meat rolled under the trees below, and this got a bite after about half an hour

But a lack of further bites meant I needed a re-think, and I bait-droppered in a pint or so of hemp, small pellets and chopped meat, ate sandwiches and drank tea. That made a big difference, and there were now quite a few fish in the swim. These were the next two

And a further two followed, but by then I was past bothering to edge my way round the slippery slope to the unhooking mat to take a pic.

By way of a change, I went for a walk along a tiny local river this evening. I've never fished there in summer before. I threw some bits of crust in and walked down to see if anything happened. I'd kind of given up when a group of medium-size chub took the lot. It's great to see fish take food off the surface, and I'll go back and try it before long.

Last edited: