How did you get on?

john step

Reaction score
Virtually stripeless!

Yes, I surmise that as the water level is so high and the inlet stream has been colouring the water for some time they have lost their stripes in the cloudy water. In normal conditions they are beautifully striped.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Yesterday saw me roaming the banks of the local reservoir spinning for pike and perhc.The water level was actually high enough for it to go into the overflow,it was never high enough last winter staying a constant foot below max height.The colour had dropped out a bit since my last visit and with nothing showing to a silver Mepps,changing to a white/yellow spinnerbait brought me two pike between 3 & 5lb by 0830.
The lads deadbaiting weren't exactly having hectic sport but it didn't rain,fairly mild and pleasant to be out and about.Watched two buzzards and a kestrel but also four cormorants perched in a tall willow.

john step

Reaction score
An enjoyable day organised by Peter Crabtree at Boddington Res. Thanks Simon. Soggy for the first half then umbrellas down after mid day. The res. was organised very thoughtfully. There are tubes for umbrella poles on each concrete hardstanding.
I know where Wetthrough gets his nom. He braved it without one.

Plenty of roach caught. Some were real beauties. Skippy had a couple of carp.

No keepnets so no pictures of bags of roach.

View attachment 7736

View attachment 7737

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A few hours on the canal this morning before the latest monsoon struck.Managed to get six perch which started off as small and got smaller.Twice I saw perch smaller than the lure trying to eat it and failing.Fallen leaves are beginning to make cetain parts awkward though,on the brighter side ,only one narrowboat on the move.

DeanoJ

Reaction score
Had a few spare hours Sunday afternoon, so switched of the boys xbox and got him out with me.
It was his first time using a reel and casting and he soon got the hang of it.
Using the method feeder we both caught a couple of small carp, well I think they're carp!

Rain held off so we was very happy about that.
d31010d0bb423985b7369d8305e16473.jpg
c78be06039d1258e418de8b633a6f827.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
The weather is starting to get on my wick. Just as the rivers get close to being fishable, it chucks it down. For over two weeks it hasn't come close to normal level. This and other circumstances have left me with a bad case of CBA. In an effort to get out of the rut, I forced myself out onto the river despite it carrying more water than I'd like. I wasn't expecting a great deal, so six trout and four grayling wasn't a bad result in a few hours. Nothing much over a pound or so, but in heavy water even 8oz trout and grayling give one hell of a fight.

414314203.jpg

414314204.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A couple of hours on the pier yesterday, high water at 12 but missed that by an hour and only frozen lug for bait but it turned out a nice afternoon and I needed the fresh air. The sea was OK-ish and must still be warm.
Met the two blokes who I met last time and they were being plagued by whiting again so I went down to the first bit of the pier, less wind there and maybe a chance of something different but it was not the case. Whiting and one small Pouting but nothing else although nice to see the Pouting which have been scarce the last few years. My two mates said a bloke had come on earlier and caught a nice Sole which would figure, he was fishing the tide in and they usually follow the tide in. I thought they might still be about but maybe not in the numbers they have been last month.
Had a conversation regarding WD40 oddly enough with the two anglers, I have heard of this being sprayed on worms. However, he said he tried this with two rods, one with WD40 and the other without it and he caught about the same amount of fish on both rods, he tried a second time and he caught nothing on either rod so he reckoned it was a bit of a myth.
Nice to get some fresh air and the fish were at least felt on my light carp rod, 2oz weight and double hooks and they give the rod a good old rattle but notice how skinny the Whiting are, they must be starving.
One converstaion my two mates had with one bloke was he said he had caught 8 bass from a known bass mark on the beach, they scoffed at the idea of him catching 8 bass but it might be true and I might try that next time, one will do!
Lots of Turnstones about, they turn up this time of year, small groups resting underneath the pier and flitting across the sea but nothing else on the bird front unless you like seagulls in thier hundreds!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
One of those days when it just didn't go right in many ways. I turned up at one fishery down a long lane on a farm. I could not get near it due to a humungous agricultural vehicle stuck plus all the attendant farm workers trying to work something out.
I suppose one just has to accept this sort of thing in a rural county. Most times you get a venue to oneself.

I drove to an alternative with the "wrong" gear and blanked apart form some tiny perch.

There were these toadstools in abundance at the alternative venue. Pretty but they look deadly. Anyone know what they are called?

View attachment 7753

wetthrough

Reaction score
Fly Agaric. Poisonous although deaths from eating are rare, it takes quite a few to kill apparently.

bullet

Reaction score
Amanita muscaria, or fly agaric.

According to my mushroom book....

"Poisonous, the common name comes from breaking the cap into a saucer of milk, used since medieval times to stupify flies.
It is a strong hallucinogen, and used by the Sami in northern Scandinavia, they swallow pieces of the dried cap.
Effects are unpredictable, and for practical purposes, the mushroom should be treated as deadly poisonous".

sam vimes

Reaction score
A late in the day, "screw it, I've got nothing better to do" session on the river.
It's much lower than it's been for weeks, but it's still up a bit. The fish were up for it though, and no minnows! Seven grayling and seven trout in a couple of hours. I'm still left with enough two week old maggots for at least one more dabble.

414315058.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Amanita muscaria, or fly agaric.

According to my mushroom book....

"Poisonous, the common name comes from breaking the cap into a saucer of milk, used since medieval times to stupify flies.
It is a strong hallucinogen, and used by the Sami in northern Scandinavia, they swallow pieces of the dried cap.
Effects are unpredictable, and for practical purposes, the mushroom should be treated as deadly poisonous".

I have been seeing quite a lot of mushroom-like stools lately but they have white gills underneath. I believe these are very deadly as well, so avoid them.

neil1970

Reaction score
I went out with a mate last Sunday afternoon..
We hit a couple of Perch spots on the GUC, but with 8" clarity the conditions were against us.
3+ hours fishing for a couple of tiny jacks....nice to get out though :D

d.owens

Reaction score
Got a few hours on a local pond this morning.
A pint of maggots, from a rained off trip last weekend, had now become a pint of casters. The usual tin of sweetcorn and bacon grill. The plan was to fish a 2oz quiver tip using a simple free running small bullet weight, rubber float stop and a size 12 hook.
Feeding casters and a little corn, fishing with punched bacon grill on the hook. Missed a couple of knocks on the tip, there was a real chill in the damp air, the fishing was slow. Hooked into something decent and had a good scrap for a few minutes, think it was a big tench or possibly a smallish carp, will never know since it threw the hook!
That was as exciting as the day got, then the cold drizzle started. It's been quite a while since I blanked, so rather than go home, like any normal person would, i decided to improvise and try and save the dreaded blank.
Left the quiver tip on the rod but put on a tiny crystal waggler and a size 18 hook on, and began fishing a single caster close in.

View attachment 7756
View attachment 7757
View attachment 7758

A few pristine little roach later, as the rain began to fall heavily, I packed up my gear feeling quite smug that I had at least not blanked. Upon arriving home, I've discovered that I have thrown away my forceps and a disgorger into the litter bin with my rubbish!

xenon

Reaction score
Amanita Muscaria-if you ever need to take a trip to the moon without the hassle of space shuttles and the like, these are the babies for you. Unfortunately the effective dose to get off your head is about the same as that needed to kill you. Avoid.