How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
16 codgers fished today at Boxmoor, near Hemel. A lovely dry day for a change but the wind was a bit troublesome for waggler across to the moored boats opposite.
Had 8 small chub in the first hour on double maggot and then it went quiet. Around midday I had 2 proper chub around 3lb+each.
Lost a real lump towards 3pm which snapped my 20hook to 0:09 hooklink..

4022-BC9-B-FC79-4-DE0-9621-3-A7274-FB95-EE.jpg

Weighed in 11:5:0 for 2nd.

C96-F13-DB-3-CC8-47-FC-AA9-B-7-E07-BE2-A82-A4.jpg

Winner had 20:9:0, chub and bream..

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
First visit to a new pool today, an old mill lodge with a good stock of fish, met the bailiff when I arrived, and he told me of a catch of tench and chub caught yesterday, on feeder and pellets.

Saw that’s what I tackled up with a cage feeder with either groundbait or soaked 2 mm pellets, with a selection of wafters on the bait band, first bite after ten minutes which came off just as I was going to net it.

Same thing with the next four fish I hooked, there is a lot of weed on the bottom of this pond, and they were diving into it and getting off, finally caught two by standing up and keeping the rod high, turned out they were F1s very lightly hooked too.

BC3F108F-A94E-4B4C-B070-B494A7039BB6.jpg
Bites dried up about one o clock, I carried on till 2.30 pm but the wind was blowing hard by then, and it was a lot colder, so I packed up before the rain arrived, and went home.
Will go again I liked this old lodge, and the tench go too around five pounds as well.

Reaction score
Last day of the season yesterday so decided to head back to the River Eden for one last go, accompanied by my mother as she hasn't fished in years! :')

I caught a nice chub of about 3 pounds almost straight away, and what I think were alot of dace, but there was one species of fish we were catching over and over but I have no idea what it was. I'm sure you experienced bunch can help me identify, as Google isn't even helping...

View attachment 8355

Apart from the one nice chub it was basically those all day, but my mum enjoyed catching them as she hasn't had the buzz for years.

Tight lines, Joe

They are on my new rod licence mate....

neil1970

Reaction score
Its been a couple of years since I've had a PB. Been targeting Ruffe and Gudgeon on the lure for 4 years now. Recently I decided to film it. Started off with a small gonk, then as the light failed Ruffezilla hit the Crazy Fish Whitebait. 14 cm and fat as... All on the GoPro :)

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Its been a couple of years since I've had a PB. Been targeting Ruffe and Gudgeon on the lure for 4 years now. Recently I decided to film it. Started off with a small gonk, then as the light failed Ruffezilla hit the Crazy Fish Whitebait. 14 cm and fat as... All on the GoPro :)

That Ruffe is reminiscent of a Weever with that dorsal. Cracking little fish!

wetthrough

Reaction score
Never have I been quite so pleased to net a small skimmer as I was yesterday out with mikench. 4hrs+ and not a nibble then missed one, next fell off swinging it in, third was the skimmer about the time when I was thinking 'at least I won't have to dry my nets'. It did pick up a bit in the last hour but heavy going on the whole. Still good to be out and looking forward to getting out with Mike again on Friday. Fingers crossed.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Back down to Bury Hill today with the weather forecast to be mild. It was....it was also much sunnier than the MO said and that bloody wind is still blowing.

The M25 was almost deserted and I drove straight there despite leaving during what would normally be peak rush hour. Milton Lake was deserted which is never a good sign but at least it allowed me to tuck in behind the island and get out of ( most of) the wind.

Never had a touch for an hour by which time the BF had arrived and dropped in next to me. I then had a few fish inc 3 super roach all well over a pound with the best nearer a pound and a half plus a perch of similar size and a lovely crucian. My bites then died and the BF started to get the odd bit of interest. Before long he'd had a couple of lovely tench and lost another plus some cracking roach like mine. Meanwhile I could not buy a bite. He had another tench then out of the blue a crucian. By now it was mid afternoon and my swim started to show a bit of life while Phil's died.

He ended up with 4 tench,1 crucian plus good roach and perch, bits and 2 finger sized zander. I had 5 crucian,3 tench some lovely roach and perch plus bits....but no zander.

All the crucian were between 1-4 and 1-8 which is fairly typical. I fished single red maggot wheras Phil fished double red....whether that accounts for the difference in our catches I couldn't say but it does make you wonder.

M25 just as benign on the return leg. That really does make a most welcome change.

john step

Reaction score
As a 70+er I thought I would self isolate at the club lake. Its not an easy water. I thought why not fish for a carp using stepped up methods I would use on a more prolific venue.
A barbel rod,10bs and a home made peacock float some wormery worms and lots of drizzle . I had one bite which resulted in this pretty mirror 14 plus.

john step

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest carp fan but that is a very handsome looking fish
Thanks Skippy. We are a small outfit and look after our fishery jealously. All the sparse stock are tip top.

Ps It rained today of Boddington proportions. Maybe see you at another fish in if they go ahead.

John Keane

Reaction score
As a 70+er I thought I would self isolate at the club lake. Its not an easy water. I thought why not fish for a carp using stepped up methods I would use on a more prolific venue.
A barbel rod,10bs and a home made peacock float some wormery worms and lots of drizzle . I had one bite which resulted in this pretty mirror 14 plus.

I’d have been very happy to have caught that!

steve2

Reaction score
Make the most of your fishing with restrictions on movements likely to be in place it could be a long close season.

rich66

Reaction score
Back to the same lake as last week, but to my favourite swim.
Fishing the waggler with dead reds frozen last week.
Missed a few bites, hit a few. Thought I had a cracking roach on but I’m pretty sure it’s an ide or maybe a roach/bream hybrid. Weighed it as 2lb 12oz. Good little perch too that insisted on coming to the top of my keepnet looking for a way out, which was a pleasure in itself to see.
Nice day out away from the shop I’ve genuinely had enough of selfish people this week.
f2fa8a881e813576a05f5ea255f45268.jpg

caa256b198163e17d9e9e9b7952a9936.jpg

e679c3d310dd21dfd47ca447522d4148.jpg

Reaction score
Defo an ide mate sadly...
Yesterday I fished a new lake for me,I had three rudd to 8oz six or seven roach all around 4ozs five perch of a similar size and a solitary tench around 3lbs.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nice in the brief periods of sunshine, positively chilly when it disappeared or the wind got up. Absolutely baltic when the sun started going down. There was the odd hint of fish, but not a single bite was had. Still, it beat the hell out of another day cooped up. Perhaps it's still a bit early for this particular water though.

Reaction score
I thought the same where I fished Chris,I actually saw tench around 18 inches under the float at odd times through the day and as my swim was around 8ft deep(deepest area apparently)I take it these fish were warming in the upper layers,not feeding....

sam vimes

Reaction score
I thought the same where I fished Chris,I actually saw tench around 18 inches under the float at odd times through the day and as my swim was around 8ft deep(deepest area apparently)I take it these fish were warming in the upper layers,not feeding....

Can't see a thing in this particular gravel pit. It's normally crystal clear, but the recent flooding has left it looking like the average commie. Just the odd roll, tail pattern and tiniest amount of bubbling. A pretty hard bottom usually means that signs of tench feeding are minuscule unless they decide to roll a lot.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Had to make the most of the sunny day today. The town pit, just 5 minutes down the road, seemed good for a change of scenery.
Set up a tip rod with method feeder to a 14 wide gape. Fishmeal method mix on the feeder and 3 dead maggots on the hook.

35786-BBD-2-B68-4619-9358-20690-B2-ECCD2.jpg

Started around 9:30, content to be outdoors but expecting a blank..Around 2pm my phone rang and as I fumbled to get it out of my pocket, my tip wavered then went round.

2-EBBF62-B-3450-42-DF-BD4-F-58-F108479-AA9.jpg

4:8:0 and a missed call...