How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
Lovely fish Chris but do I care.:yo::gossip::surrender::thumbs:t

What was it Alan Freeman used to say?:guinness:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Had another try for the tench on the big pit in town today.
The SW wind was fierce and cold, straight in my face.
Braved it for 2 hours but I got so cold I left my gear with another angler and nipped home for a jacket.

7-F388-C83-3-FF7-49-FF-8-E03-24559939609-A.jpg

The water ski club was busy today which, along with the wind, stirred the water up a bit. The maximum depth being just 3-4’ all over this huge pit.

133-A3467-D9-F7-4-F61-9119-9-F4197054-FA3.jpg

Had 5 bites and 3 fish, all bream. Including this one which I christened Quasimodo...

4-FC30679-F5-B8-448-E-A86-C-BD9276-DCA089.jpg

This was the 3rd and biggest at 8:2:0

8-E8-D7206-B6-EC-4-F2-C-A619-F2-F4-F829-BD7-B.jpg

All taken on method feeder with gb and 4 maggots..

tommos16

Reaction score
Had another try for the tench on the big pit in town today.
The SW wind was fierce and cold, straight in my face.
Braved it for 2 hours but I got so cold I left my gear with another angler and nipped home for a jacket.

7-F388-C83-3-FF7-49-FF-8-E03-24559939609-A.jpg

The water ski club was busy today which, along with the wind, stirred the water up a bit. The maximum depth being just 3-4’ all over this huge pit.

133-A3467-D9-F7-4-F61-9119-9-F4197054-FA3.jpg

Had 5 bites and 3 fish, all bream. Including this one which I christened Quasimodo...

4-FC30679-F5-B8-448-E-A86-C-BD9276-DCA089.jpg

This was the 3rd and biggest at 8:2:0

8-E8-D7206-B6-EC-4-F2-C-A619-F2-F4-F829-BD7-B.jpg

All taken on method feeder with gb and 4 maggots..

Just out of curiosity, if you don’t mind me asking of course, what size hook were these taken on? I had bite after bite from bream on size 16 hook/ 5mm washters but when I went up to a size 10 after losing too many carp I never got a break bite again. I’d say the carp had moved in but I had 3 bream in between 3 carp so they were both feeding there while on the 16

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Another day at lakeside, as its about the only day ticket I can get on currently......

Im struggling here, blanked the other day and only 2 today....

Today I was using corn as hookbait and freebies, with 2mm Krill pellets on the method feeder.

Tried a number of positions from my swim - which means pretty much the whole of the open water section.....

1 Bream and a small Tench...Always happy to see Tinca....

Any ideas, or this just a tough gig ?

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpg
    IMG_2336.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 209

tommos16

Reaction score
Well I guess when you're luck is in, it's in. After last week's Carp success, I set out today with my new 12ft Float rod and my small feeder rod on my local Muni free to fish lake. Both rods were on 4lb line, down to 2lb hooklink and size 18 hooks. Banded pellets on both, aiming for skimmers.

I'd never caught a skimmer, got ten. I'd never caught a bream, got five. I'd never caught a Crucian, got one.

After this I thought I'd just dob about the margins that I'd baited, hopeful of a better Crucian. Float slid away, and what happened next nearly gave me a heart attack. On the lightest of light tackle, I fought the lake's biggest Carp (14.5lb (though the photo does it no justice at all and I'd never have called it that weight if I didn't weigh it) Mirror, so my PB as well!). It took me genuinely half an hour to net, by which stage I'd ended up with a full audience watching. All the while my heart is coming out of my throat, Desperate not to break myself off.

Many will catch bigger, and I hope in time I will, but I hope to christ I never have to land another like that on quite such light tackle haha! Just a shame I couldnt get a photo with it this time around.
3d7fce35d98cf5e52040c14fbdf0b45c.jpg
2505c1cba8fb1c30b294e1c3fd340197.jpg
3b2d6acdb38af0326c1204da3e1cee40.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Reemul

Reaction score
2nd trip this year with my son. Main lake at Whitemoor was absolutely rammed so we moved to the smaller lake. Between us we had 25 fish to 5lb including bream, tench and carp.

Really good day, struggled a bit as could have done with lighter tackle rather than tackle for 25lb carp. All fish caught on Luncheon meat soaked in chilli sauce over night.

Going again Thursday hopefully get on the main lake.

Last edited:

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Tommos, nothing beats light tackle and a healthy Carp scrap.....

I tend to use 8lb as standard, mainly as a safeguard as there are some biggish lumps in some of the water I fish.

My PB is a 17.4 on 8lb main....

Bream - just why, they put nothing into a fight I dont get why places stock them. They stink up all yuor gear as well.

tommos16

Reaction score
Yeah it was the fight of my life, just wouldn’t have minded just a tad more security when I was trying to stop it going in the snags. But thankfully, all ended well!

With regards to Bream, I do agree. But until today I’d never caught one so it was nice to get a few! Whether I’m still saying that in a year I don’t know, but for now I’ll still be grateful to land anything. Two weeks ago I’d had one Roach in nearly six months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A dawn raid on the estate in search of tincas.

A chilly start at 5am with a mist rolling off the lake.

My first trip back to the lake last week was like so many last season, float fishing, light with small baits which resulted into what has become a regular pattern, nothing other than small blade roach and skimmers.

So a different approach today, my first time using a very old rod I picked up in a local charity shop, A Mitchell Stallion leger rod.

The attraction being the ability to screw in a swing tip, not something I’ve used in nearly fifty years!

In still conditions the tip behaved impeccably, sadly it was only a few of these that got it moving.

As the sun soared above the trees it got very warm, and very bright, a good time to concede the search for tench at 11-30am.

Talking to the bailiff the story is just as last season, all decent fish coming from the far bank which we aren’t allowed to pitch up at, so a case of lobbing a lead across the lake from the opposite side. A strong set up is essential as the big carp cruise along this bank, so next trip...... another change of routine is in order!

Paste paul

Reaction score
Another day at lakeside, as its about the only day ticket I can get on currently......

Im struggling here, blanked the other day and only 2 today....

Today I was using corn as hookbait and freebies, with 2mm Krill pellets on the method feeder.

Tried a number of positions from my swim - which means pretty much the whole of the open water section.....

1 Bream and a small Tench...Always happy to see Tinca....

Any ideas, or this just a tough gig ?

Don’t know the place but try fishing to features or islands ...... with it warming up the fish like shallow water and move about much more...... if there are no noticeable features try fishing up in the water either with pole or waggler.....and never neglect the margins....
If it’s deep and you prefer the feeder try fishing a long hook link you might get some on the drop.....a cage feeder with a dry mix will cause a cloud in the water ......
Just some suggestions pal

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
HUmm one word bu**er just type a whole lot in and bang gone

Oh well try again

first day back today headed for my local pools/commercial 3 pools first 2 absolutely absolutely rammed full no space at all so pool 3 for me pool , the only problem with that is i rely on crutches to get around now and unloading a ruck of fishing gear to the peg is mighty difficult . As luck would have it the owner ahd his daughter turned up doing the rounds to collect ticket money they actually carried my gear to the peg for me ( if only there were more people like that around)

Anyhow paid my dues setup my normal mixture of micro pellets general ground bait chick peas + some of the juice and sweet corn duly mixed and soaking while i setup the rod net(landing ) keep nets not allowed fine by me and bacon grill for the hook bait using a flat method feeder quiet forthe firs hour or so then a nice mirror of around 5lbs shortly followed by another one very similar one then quiet again sat ther minding my own busnisses all of a sudden tip went round almost hauled the rod out of the rest any how after a tussle with a decent fish got it into the landing net and oooopps one hole in net and a carp butt end thru the hole .

got it onto the unhooking mat undamaged what a wee beastie 32lb mirror that made it for me cast back out again but then pain started to take over so time to head home a fairly happy maggot dangler .

Next trip out Thrusday to my old club pool in Brimingham only problem i need maggots there have to hope Angling Direct are open on my way thru lets see how that turns out ..

Cheers Folks

Pete .

mikench

Reaction score
Well done Pete and what a fish. AD may open next month so I'd try Willy Worms on the web if you don't have any local Tackle shops.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well done Pete and what a fish. AD may open next month so I'd try Willy Worms on the web if you don't have any local Tackle shops.

OK thanks Believe it or not with the amount of pools rivers and canal we have around here Market Drayton we do not have a tackle shop cant get bait too easily we are talking about a good drive to get maggots crazy situation easily within 10 min drive of here i have 3 good pools including the one i use that itself has 4 pools but only 3 in use right now crazy i tell you crazy.

Pete

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Town pit again today but on the opposite bank to Saturday.
Started fishing around 9am and it wasn’t long before my first bite.

A2468-C88-247-A-496-B-A4-E0-C312-BA2-F5144.jpg

A nice tench around 5lb. Method feeder and gb on both rods, treble maggot on a 14.

E8-D86922-A3-F7-4-DD6-8-A69-65404-B0-BA1-B8.jpg

A couple of hours later around midday, the sun getting very strong, another bite and a nice 6:1:0 male fish was on the bank.

A19-EF04-F-AC9-A-42-C1-83-A1-DDA7-E23828-A3.jpg

It wasn’t long after recasting my tip was going round again. Another good fighting fish, this time a big female 7:6:0...

F524-E0-DF-69-CA-46-EA-936-F-FFB229-F571-D8.jpg

The following 2 hours produced nothing more so I called it a day. Had a few problems with the willow fluff again but not enough to spoil a great day out.