How did you get on?

silvers

Reaction score
Saturday’s match on the Warks Avon was cancelled ... thankfully really!

Sunday, travelled to the second round of the Bedford winter league on the Great Ouse at Willington with some trepidation ... unfounded as the river was definitely still fishable, albeit expected to rise (Which it did). It was high, coloured and would be significantly harder than normal ... but it is a winter league! I had a nice start when my next peg neighbour turned out to be an old acquaintance from 30 years and more ago ... who has started fishing again in the last year or two. It was really nice to see Mark again!
i concentrated on the near side in 6ft of boily, pacy water. Down the middle already had all sort of rubbish coming down and far side was much shallower and a few casts with a maggot feeder were unproductive.
I alternated between a pole feeder with ground bait, straight lead (with a trusty original sigma wand!) and little maggot feeder. I had one skimmer of about a pound and a few better stamp roach of 6-8 oz ... totalling 5 pounds for second in the 8 Peg section and about 6th overall. I did lose a good perch late on, on the pole feeder, didn’t see it but I’d say around pound and a half. It wouldn’t have made any difference as I needed 7:3 to improve my standing! our team of four old codgers (blunham) won the day with three section seconds and a fourth. individually there were three 8 pounds eights and a two sevens from a field of 32, so not terrible. I missed the first round at Kempston, where the team had a bad day, but that result puts us back in the race. It is a fun league, not to be taken too seriously.
Having rained all of Saturday, and then drizzled all match on sunday ... it finally stopped when the results were announced to the socially distanced gathering.;)

it was very different to my previous match on the Wye, but I enjoyed it ... even though I had to go back to the car halfway through to put waders on as the river had risen over the platform.

john step

Reaction score
My new membership came through so I fished a canal on the book today. The club have upped the day tickets to £10 to encourage membership.
It certainly worked for me as this is a good winter roach spot, but not at £10 per day. £25 OAP book for a year is much better even for half a dozen trips.
Anyway I had a net of small perch,skimmers,roach and the odd bleak. It certainly made an enjoyable change using 20s and fine hooklengths .
The trouble is I am now knackered holding the pole for a few hours which I am not used to. Must practice more. :)

Reaction score
I sat at Makins one day,the wind turned into my face an snowed big style,within an hour my umberella collapsed with four inches of wet snow,,it carried on for another hour,until I got concerned about getting home,couldn't feel my hands to pack,it took me two hours,then another three and a half to get home,10.30pm I finally got home..on another occasion I fished an Angling Times winter league match at Felmersham,the wind was in the East,straight in our faces,minus temps overnight with an inch of snow overnight,it either snowed,or sleeted the entire match and was bloody awful,had one bite,one roach,4ozs for third in the section,took all night with hot water bottles to warm up,that was with skeetex boots and a one piece thermal waterproof suit and thermal underwear....the worst of it is we came second to ABC that day,revenge the next match on the same venue however and it clinched the league,plus I won my section and placed in the match,too top tye lot it was warm,happy days...

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Compared to the rest of the week Monday's weather didn't look too bad Sunday evening. By 6am Monday it was forecast clear all day with a low chance of rain. Arrived at Dunham fisheries 7:15 prepared for a cold but clear day. I can usually guarantee picking something up first or second cast even if it's only bits, not yesterday. It was 9am before I got anything, a Rudd the size of my little finger.

Decided to set up in @mikench's usual swim for a change. He can have it back:D

DNM_20201005_125606.jpg

Carried on picking the odd small Roach and Rudd here and there, til what was presumably a Carp took me in the Lilies and promptly snapped me off:( By 11am the right side of my face was burning and I'm peeling off layers, better than being cold I suppose but there were some ominous clouds in the distance. Check the forecast and it's all changed. Heavy rain from 1am. Such is life. Not too many on the banks but from what I could hear everyone was having a hard time. Got hooked into something that threw the hook. Not sure what but from the F1 (I think) I got later, probably an F1. It poured down for most of the afternoon but I've got used to being wet through now (ho ho) so not really too bothered. Ended up with 20, 3 Crucians a couple of skimmers and an F1. The rest being a mix of Roach/Rudd . First time I've caught a sizeable F1, thought it was a large grumpy Bream at first. Shouldn't complain. A catch like that would have been front page in the local paper 60 yrs ago.

DNM_F1_Crucian_20201005.jpg

john step

Reaction score
Jerry, those F1s are growing. I weighed one over 7lb recently. I never knew they grew that big.

mikench

Reaction score
I had a few hours beachcasting and I avoided several which were littered with driftwood and other detritus. I'm amazed just where all the wood comes from.

IMG_7922.JPG
IMG_7923.JPG

I was the only one fishing but the world and his wife were walking the beach collecting wood for their winter fires and some with chain saws. It was warm at 21c but very windy but fortunately it was an off shore wind. I chatted with a few guys about the timber collection as Nice is never cold but maybe I have a touch too much natural insulation. I watched the gulls wheel and dive plus the helicopters continuing their flights of aid.i selected a few pieces of wood which would grace any fishtank , for my garden. Some beaches were inundated and bulldozers were in action to remove it.

Oh the fishing ; I blanked .

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've nurtured that swim over a good few years( it's still poor) Gordon so I hope you haven't upset the little fishes. I thought I recognised those lilies. ;) :rolleyes:(y)
Feed the margins little and often, then every time you catch and play a fish,throw half a handful of maggots in to keep them interested.You will soon rack up a good weight of fish, you can end up literally catching again as soon as you go back in. Also a good bait on there is macaroni cheese straight from the tin.

Reaction score
Went yesterday,the river was carrying a little bit,I got to the car park at 5.45am in darkness,three cars there awaiting the 6am entry,I got my trolley loaded,the other three guys got the draw bag out and drew for choice of pegs,I got number one,without dipping my hand in the bag,so embarrassed I went into a flyer,had more than a few nice barbel to 7.13(by christ do these fish fight at the moment),to make a day complete it turned out two of the guys at the draw were ex-members of the Adams Mill syndicate on the Ouse,one was none other than two times barbel record holder Grahame King,what a smashing bloke,at the time he got spit roasted for carrying on fishing there after catching the record(the traveller),yet he was trying to catch another similar sized barbel they called the pope,he hasn't fished for barbel until yesterday because of it,Martin Bowler was one of the moaners,anyway,it was a real pleasure to meet him and his mate and seems to show me that my enjoyment of a days fishing is changing,yes I love catching fish,but meeting nice people and having a chinwag is almost as good,add to that the flock of ring tailed parakeets,greater spotted woodpeckers,buzzards,red kites,Rob's mate the Harris hawk and a grey heron who stands in the paddocks opposite sheltering from the wind behind a small tree,looking like an aging grey haired hippie,it's 'beard' blowing in the wind... :)

rubio

Reaction score
Been exploring a few swims on a free stretch locally. Plenty of roach and small chub just about anywhere, tho obviously I'm choosing likely looking spots. Waggler and maggots was my starting point as it allows you to cover plenty of water readily. Bread equally well received and with some extra water finally coming through fishing the stick, or more accurately, a 3bb balsa in case mark Winston is checking.
Always a good feeling catching in new areas. Lovely Constable country vistas too. Best fish to date is a pound roach but hoping for better once I've settled on areas to target. Only other angler I've seen was after pike. No shortage of those judging by the frequent surface strikes. Who knows maybe a perch big enough to enter into the perch challenge frame.