How did you get on?

rubio

Reaction score
Not enjoying the freezing fog. A couple of hours at weekend was tough going on a high river for half dozen sprat size roach. It was on the up as I left. Everything points to not fishing at all. That would be careless around Xmas. Don't want to be getting involved in shopping and related nonsense tho.

rich66

Reaction score
2 hours by the river this morning, shoved some bread in a bag few bits of tackle and off I went.
It had dropped from flood state with a few slacks that looked promising. Set up and found I’d no hook lengths with me a quick dig around found 2 size 12’s so had to go with that.
I think I was fishing at least 2 foot over it’s normal depth.
One tentative bite in 2 hours, can’t win them all maybe I’ll try later in the week if work doesn’t get in the way

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
10 codgers fished today at Leighton buzzard town centre. We keep coming up to this part of the canal because it’s always coloured.
Hardly a degree above 3° all day and bright sun, it was hard...

EE9BCBD0-D436-43E9-BC14-F48FEDA2673A.jpeg
6CF92330-6824-4C9D-AF76-77CD941F161F.jpeg

Waggler and a tiny punch of bread on a 22 B510 hook across on the far shelf was all I could get a bite on, pinkie or squatt and nothing.
The roach I was catching were tiny, but at least I was getting bites...

3093339E-49B8-4382-AE87-7826F132ABE5.jpeg

Had 20 of these for 0:5:8 and third place, winner had 2:7:0 and second 0:6:0... 7 others all blanked.

My net..

E528917B-985B-4652-AFF9-306A9C603A86.jpeg

john step

Reaction score
10 codgers fished today at Leighton buzzard town centre. We keep coming up to this part of the canal because it’s always coloured.
Hardly a degree above 3° all day and bright sun, it was hard...

View attachment 11997View attachment 11998

Waggler and a tiny punch of bread on a 22 B510 hook across on the far shelf was all I could get a bite on, pinkie or squatt and nothing.
The roach I was catching were tiny, but at least I was getting bites...

View attachment 12000

Had 20 of these for 0:5:8 and third place, winner had 2:7:0 and second 0:6:0... 7 others all blanked.

My net..

View attachment 12001

A tin of sardines there? Still getting bites these temperatures is what its all about.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Not everyone is working from home as it took over an hour to get through the traffic to my preferred section of the Wreake this morning.
A white egret flew up as I neared the river to find the level high but it had dropped two feet and was a bit muddy but not much rubbish in it.
Out with a wire cage feeder full of liquidised bread and flake on the hook - 8oz chub, followed by another at 1lb 12oz, 1lb and the biggest at 2lb 8oz.
The the sun broke through and the bites stopped instantly - not much wildlife to watch either but plenty of jackdaws,crows & rooks, saw one buzzard
but no kingfishers.

Reaction score
What a bloody day,I went to the river Ivel this morning,it looked lovely,but the banks were positively treacherous,so left after walking the entire length,with kit,thought i'd drive from Biggleswade to Bedford,parked up,went to look at the river,my mobile rang,my autistic son wasn't well at college,so back in the motor driving from Bedford to Dunstable,so no fishing for me,John is ok,didn't get any sleep last night apparently so was falling to sleep at college with a headache....

Philip

Reaction score
I snatched a quick hour down the river after Roach. It was cold but there was no wind & the sun was out so it was pleasant sitting there. Just a couple of tugs came my way, both Bream which although I like, I am not so keen on when after other species. Some of the Bream I have been catching have been quite sizeable of late so out of interest I decided to weigh one & was quite surprised when it pulled the scales round to 8.3 which is not a bad fish for the river. They can actually give quite a good account of themselves too compared to their stillwater counterparts.

Not everyones cup of tea but still nice to get a bend in the rod on a cold day. I took a quick snap for the thread..

bream2 (3).jpg

mikench

Reaction score
I won't start a new thread entitled how did you not get on nor will I say more other than Gordon and I will each receive a 24 carat cheque book and pen. He'll be along with a little more detail . At least I was in very good company. The fact that we were on a day ticket water adds insult to injury.:((n)

peterjg

Reaction score
I fished the Thames today, caught 5 roach and a perch. The river was up and quite coloured, water temperature 41F.

While I was fishing a lost float drifted past, I scooped it out with my landing net. I couldn't believe it, it was in an awful state, broken and whipped with old fishing line, bent, cracked varnish and in need of paint - I didn't know that Markg has been fishing the Thames.....

john step

Reaction score
On a muddy Witham today. Back to normal level but racing through. Out came the 14 foot Acy, a stick float and a bait dropper. 27 roach all small and a dace and a silver bream.
Blooming cold but its bites that matter. In summer this is more like a waggler drain water so this made a pleasant opportunity for using a stick. The old rhythm cam back and it was like old times.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Spectacular double blank from Mike and myself today. Despite the forecast of feels like 3:4 degrees it didn't feel cold until around 2:30. Between us we must have tried every bait and every depth possible . Nothing, not a nibble despite fishing light with floats dotted right down. Egos not particularly boosted by a Carp that kept crashing out about 50M away. I've often wondered why their tails are V shaped! Even a Cormorant took one look and flew on.

Still, good company can make up for a lot and enjoyed the day but some fish would have been nice. First blank of the year for us both I think so shouldn't complain.

DNM_Mike_20201209_143846.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I fished the Thames today, caught 5 roach and a perch. The river was up and quite coloured, water temperature 41F.

While I was fishing a lost float drifted past, I scooped it out with my landing net. I couldn't believe it, it was in an awful state, broken and whipped with old fishing line, bent, cracked varnish and in need of paint - I didn't know that Markg has been fishing the Thames.....
Hang on to it, they are becoming a rare collectors item.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Well said Markg, it was meant as a joke so I'm pleased you're not offended.
Offended, good gracious no, just largely misunderstood like that van Gogh bloke, no one can do an impression of a float like me. Its a highly developed style that will be recognized and highly valued one day, eBay beckons.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
4 of us fished the GUC at Bourne end, Hemel today. Slightly warmer than Tuesday but not much.. I usually fish waggler here across to the boats but I noted the SE wind forecast today, which makes keeping a float tight to the boats difficult as it puts a bow in the line. With that in mind I took my light bomb rod and fished a quarter oz lead instead.

73DC516F-CE7B-4F4C-AAEF-22007DB09B19.jpeg

Double maggot on a 18 carbon chub hook to 3lb bottom. Loads of bites and some nice perch, chublets and gudgeon. Best fish today was a perch of 1lb 4oz.

0742D508-594F-4E8F-AE16-419CE508CA1F.jpeg

Plus a couple of plump gudgeon..

8B988560-D2FE-40CE-9076-0EDCE5B1B221.jpeg

One of my mates had 3 good chub to 5:2:0..

Alan, hooks arrived in the post today, thank you very much...

Last edited: