How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have been planning a pike session on the town pit for a while and intended to go christmas day but it was arctic weather, so I went today.
2 dead roach float rigs swung out I sat in faint anticipation, it was just good to be out.
Had the wind and drizzle in the face rendering the brolly useless, but this was the peg I’d planned to fish so I stuck to it.

After about 90 minutes the far bung dived under and I quickly lifted into a fish. This was no jack. It took a while to see it but when I did I had doubts about the size of my landing net...Surprisingly it fitted into the net ok although doubled over.
Hooked in the scissors with just one of the 2 sets of trebles I took a quick snap and released it. Mission accomplished.

C52384D5-8E82-408D-BE02-8E4D1F1DCE8E.jpeg

I didn’t weigh it, but on comparing photos with one caught here a month ago, it was the same fish, which at the time was 13:15:0, a new PB..

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
How on earth did you get it into that tiny landing net Peter? :giggle:

Nice Esox and nice fishing, well done.

Keith

Philip

Reaction score
Get a bigger net Peter. It would not surprise me if its put on weight since the last capture. It has a gut & looks like it would go more than 13.15 now to me.

Well done !

Reaction score
I'm afraid I have now inclination to go,tomorrow Bella's effects will be felt and the venues I will be able to fish will be unfavourable for strong winds,with showers,just can't be arsed....

ian g

Reaction score
I was out yesterday on the Shropshire Union with my fishing mate . I managed a nice lot of gudgeon on maggots and a couple of perch on worms , lost a couple more and foul hooked one . It was great to be out and the start of storm Bella certainly blew away any cobwebs , though it became a pain and resulted in an early finish .

Reaction score
I woke this morning at 5.30am,it was pouring down,blowing a hoolie as forecast,texted my mate he was on the river three of them on it,by 8.30am it had dried up,sun was out,no wind,so I decided to go,big mistake,the river rose eight inches whilst I was there lots of debris,blankety blank.....

john step

Reaction score
Sat here in the warm drinking a St Austel Brewery IPA feeling nice. Just been over to my lake and had a chin wag with a member who has has two nights blanking. First night storm Bella last night thick frost and fog and looking forward to his third night.
Other members were taking a walk and we all chewed the fat a little while beside his bivvy.

Just a nice small friendly club. Warms the cockle of your heart springs.

steve2

Reaction score
Sat here in the warm drinking a St Austel Brewery IPA feeling nice. Just been over to my lake and had a chin wag with a member who has has two nights blanking. First night storm Bella last night thick frost and fog and looking forward to his third night.
Other members were taking a walk and we all chewed the fat a little while beside his bivvy.

Just a nice small friendly club. Warms the cockle of your heart springs.
Not a bit like my clubs if you tried to talk to some members you would be told to pee off in no uncertain terms.

Reaction score
Whilst out yesterday a member in his seventies turned up around 4pm(you have to be off at 6pm this time of year),now this fella came the last time I fished this swim,he was rude,and determined to get in my swim as quick as possible,yesterday afternoon I could see him furtively looking at me in HIS swim,so I quietly packed away not wanting him hovering over me whilst packing,not getting up until I absolutely necessary,imagine my delight when another angler came along,stood chatting for a while,then politely asked if I was packing,I said yes,he sat back continuing to chat not rushing me(unlike this other bloke before),when I left,I felt chuffed that the other fella had been shut out,lol....

ian g

Reaction score
Just back from a couple of hours on the Llangollen canal lure fishing . As I parked up two boats came through stirring the bottom up . I walked a good way along and fished hard . The clarity was around 6" so I wasn't over confident . I fished a squirmz on a cheb rig and had one small knock . I swapped to a small shad for a little while but a third boat made me head for home .

john step

Reaction score
Not a bit like my clubs if you tried to talk to some members you would be told to pee off in no uncertain terms.

That is the difference I have noticed upon moving up here. The Notts lads will call you Me Ducks. You will often be pointed to a good spot.
A Sth Yorks angler with a stove at the bag of his Land Rover walked a couple of hundred yards to give me a cup of hot soup on a freezing Trent day.

On a local canal there is a road on the opposite bank. At first I was taken aback when people walking dogs on the opposite side would wave and ackknowledge one.

Not too grim "Upt Nth"

ian g

Reaction score
Just doing a bit of light lure spiel , it's another world . I was only about 3 miles from home but travelling light I managed to see a bit more of the canal than usual. I hope to have a go later in the week with some maggots and worms

mikench

Reaction score
If any member of my clubs spoke to me like that they would rue the day. Thankfully nobody ever has in 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score

They wouldn’t last long as members if they reacted like that in the fishing clubs that I belong to. They would be more likely to be asked told to leave the club and fish elsewhere in future if they reacted like that on our club waters.

Keith

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
Whilst out yesterday a member in his seventies turned up around 4pm(you have to be off at 6pm this time of year),now this fella came the last time I fished this swim,he was rude,and determined to get in my swim as quick as possible,yesterday afternoon I could see him furtively looking at me in HIS swim,so I quietly packed away not wanting him hovering over me whilst packing,not getting up until I absolutely necessary,imagine my delight when another angler came along,stood chatting for a while,then politely asked if I was packing,I said yes,he sat back continuing to chat not rushing me(unlike this other bloke before),when I left,I felt chuffed that the other fella had been shut out,lol....
Alan Hope that's not Tim will have a word he wont like being called a guy in his seventies Lol