How did you get on?

dangermouse

Reaction score
Nice set of pics, amazing how they tame down so quickly.

Its not a 'ragged Robin' but actually a juvenile, hatched probably early spring and ijust attaining its adult coat, distinguishable by the fluffy nestling feathers clearly seen in pic 37 the 2nd one down.
Well done.

Ah thanks for that Mick, I had no idea why it looked as it did. It visited me four or five times during the day. It would fly down, pick up and eat a few offerings and then always disappear away along the same trajectory.

And much like the fish it showed no interest in the sweetcorn I put down, just the maggots and casters.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Ah thanks for that Mick, I had no idea why it looked as it did. It visited me four or five times during the day. It would fly down, pick up and eat a few offerings and then always disappear away along the same trajectory.

And much like the fish it showed no interest in the sweetcorn I put down, just the maggots and casters.

Nice I had one last week who sat on my tackle bag waiting for me to open my bait, I put a couple of hard pellets next to it and it took one look and flew off , a very pleasent start to the day though.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Not a Robin but for me just as amazing as blackbirds are normally very skittish. I have an adult female come down and visit me on arrival and she is joined by an almost full size youngster soon after. Both come under my chair looking for bits or sit looking at me from the unhooking mat not a metre away. I do wonder if feeding them is good but bits of corn, cooked hemp and very wet pure bread cannot do much harm I suppose....

Still, it gives me a kick to have them close and starts the day just fine !

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Just enough time before I get the kit ready again to record a blank last evening on the river, it looked perfect and a couple of inches of welcomed extra water... I didn't really feel on the ball to be fair but a blank it was, no excuses.

Pah...call that a blank ? I've just got back from 3 days serial blanking in Wales.

Day 1 :Night: Sea Trout : Mooned off [blank]:eek:mg:
Day 2 :Morning : Bass : Blown off,boat trip cancelled [blank]:eek:mg:
Day 2 :Afternoon Welsh Dee for Grayling,blazing sun [blank]:eek:mg:
Day 3 :Morning : Bass : Spinning from beach [blank]:eek:mg:
Day 3 Night : Sea Trout : Ottered :eek:& mooned off [blank] :eek:mg:

Nonetheless it was a great trip.Great friends,good food,fantastic scenery.:D

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoyed your blank Skippy.
Jerry and I also enjoyed a blank on the Colne today too.:doh: double:doh:

Yes, a most enjoyable blank Simon:D....................still, a massive improvement from Wednesday for me (no river snotties) the curse must have worn off;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm glad you enjoyed your blank Skippy.
Jerry and I also enjoyed a blank on the Colne today too.:doh: double:doh:

A blank is still a blank but I can think of many worse places to blank than Snowdonia. Low,clear river & bright moonlight. This sea trout lark is hard enough as it is without all that [and otters] to contend with !

Ironically the river was full of fish some of which were absolute hippos but if they're not in a mood to take then no power on God's earth will make them. There is no such thing as a sea trout "mugfish".

flightliner

Reaction score
I thought that you were offloading the Bramus curse Flight' put on you :D

It's nice to find a stretch of water where roach can be found in numbers. The curse of the omnipresent carp is bad enough without bream sticking their noses in on rivers. Once the rain stops long enough to allow a bit of clarity I'll give the Stanton a spin :)

I say chappies, come on !!! I,ve not passed on a curse to anyone, i,m must say I,m shocked to think that my goodwill can be so badly misinterpreted :eek:.
All I wanted was for folk to enjoy a good day or two amongst what, after all are one of the nicest fish that swims !!!:p:p:p
Got to go now-- must have I lie down for a few minutes, just cant believe that folk think badly of bream--- top top fish!!! :D

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Just got back from 3 days on my syndicate water. I don't do many overnighters these days but great fishing, great banter and finished with the summer work party today, with the obligatory few beers in the Coach and Horses!:w

Oh, and caught 7 carp and a couple of tench. 3 twenties to 28-02.:)

Stu

The Runner

Reaction score
Blew it a bit this weekend I think.
Club match at Royal Berkshire, much closer than has often been the case there in the past, with only 13 lb separating the top 6. Started on pellet wag tight to the island without any indications and switched to pellet feeder for no improvement other than a little roach which hung itself on an 8 mil pellet. Just over an hour gone, not much coming out anywhere so went onto caster right in front of me on a top 2 and was straight into reasonable roach and rudd and then a stray carp about 3 lb. All the while I was feeding up both across and also next to a bush on the inside off to my right and kept an eye out for signs of carp- eventually saw some movement under the bush so went along with heavier rig and pellet. Picked up 5 carp in the next hour and a half, but blank last 45 minutes- although was still getting a few liners and lost a foul-hooker couldn't get a proper bite.
Ended up with 18 lb of silvers and a total of 45-10. 57 lb won it, then 54, 49, 47 and a 44 after me.
Blank spell at the end definitely cost me . Can't work out what went wrong as the fish were certainly still there

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Nice one Stu.
Club fixture for me on the Kennet and Avon canal just west of Reading Berkshire . A lovely venue out in the sticks, banks lined with rushes and wild flowers. Around 16m wide and a nice slow flow. I would have preferred to get the pole out but the 'Tour de Reading' was going on along the towpath at great speed. So out came the 6m whip. Roach a chuck on single red maggot for the first hour or so then got smashed up by an unseen lump. Swim dried up for a while before dying completely around midday. The sun came out and I was struggling with bleak a chuck. Set up a bomb rod with small maggot feeder and fished tight to the far bank with chopped worm and caster in the feeder and a whole worm. First pull round ended up being a pikelet about a foot long.
Not counted in our matches so returned. Next bite was a nice perch around 8oz. With 2 hours to go I felt I had a better chance back on the whip and maggot. The better roach didn't feed again and I scratched around for bleak and mini roach till the end.
Winner had 3 bonus perch in the last hour to weigh in 5lb 8.
I came 2nd with 4lb 12.
3rd 3lb 12.
9 fished...

symonh2000

Reaction score
I went down the local river and lake and did some lure fishing.

Didn't catch much, just a few small Perch, and I managed to hook a nice Brown trout which got away but I had a good few hours in the sun. :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fished a swim today a few hundred yards upstream from ‘snottiehell’;) from 8.30 – 3.30pm. Bright hot sunshine and clear water helped to make it a bit of a struggle – saved from blanking by this little river rattie and Mick's curse seems to have worn off............:)

PS - I know Clive - rod not pointing at the sky.........:D
rc2_zpsf1136437.jpg

rc1_zps81cfde0f.jpg

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Up at 4am on Sunday and breaking my 'no fish at weekends' rule (because it promised to be very wet and free from weekender fishermen ) I went to a local pit for the morning. Started well in the quiet gloom of morning with some nice roach but this changed at 6.30 when a couple of chaps turned up and, sitting 20 yds apart, (100yds away!) they decide to share the everything from tackle to the weeks work to the wife's bad back with me at the required voice level that probably could be heard 300yds away!!

I suffered it for an hour in the hope it would quiet down, it didn't, so I went round to them to ask then to do so. One apologised say he knew he had a very loud voice and I went back to my fishing....
Unfortunately, the spell was broken as the 'pair' went from loud to total silence and although I pressed on my heart wasn't in it and I went home at 9am. Don't know why things like this upset me ( going to see them ) but they do, and whilst they just carried on fishing my day was wrecked.....

I shall sleep in on future Sundays..........................( and no, I don't have a problem with folk chatting quietly on the bank !!!)

neil1970

Reaction score
A 4.30 til 7pm session today, using halibut pellet over mixed particles ended up with a chub just under 3lbs and a nice little roach :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Now Tony, if you had got there at the acceptable hour of 9am all would have been quiet and no problems - unless they guessed you were a Spuds supporter of course;)

PS A friend and I had the river to ourselves apart from the kingfisher and all the usual feathered life - even the fish were quiet.....:)