How did you get on?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My first trip for some time, one to look for some mullet and two to see if I can still do it on my own. nearly went down a slippery bank and nearly could not get back up it but, apart from that I survived. And very nice it was to be sitting on a river bank again on a sunny day.
I took my 4 piece fly rod and some flies, some hemp, a float, some shot and a few hooks tied to nylon and some slices of bread as back up. Could not see one mullet along the river and I walked a good bit of it. So it was static fishing in an old favorite swim of mine with the bread. I tried watching the fly line at first but missed a few pulls so I put the float on the fly line, tied with a bit of nylon and one bb about 6 inches from the hook to get it down. All a bit heath Robinson but it worked, I had three fish about a 1lb, they looked like bream roach hybrids but gave me a bit of sport.
Started to cloud over so I packed up after a couple hours and the swim had gone a bit dead anyway.
One kingfisher, wrens and robin accompanied my day but, where are those mullet! The sluice gate was shut tight and my guess it has been for most of the summer despite assurances to me from the EA that the lock keeper will open them to let fish through on the top of the tide when they are waiting to go up. Yeh, of course he does!!

Pete Shears

Reaction score
After a week in Scotland just a trip to the local reservoir yesterday which resulted in a few skimmers and a roach which fell off in the margins ,no tench. However a kingfisher was zooming about after the fry and a red kite kept appearing/disappearing and four buzzards circling together for about five minutes then the rain started . . . . .

silvers

Reaction score
Another tale of ”the nearly man” from yesterday’s Blunham AC open on the Great Ouse at Willington:
The river had a good colour in (unlike my local Avon, which is gin clear) and a moderate flow.
20 anglers were fishing, from which I drew permanent peg 19. The match is well spread out across the 50 pegs available, with Micky Burrell being the nearest to me on peg 17, which was round the corner so I was effectively on my own for 5 hours.

the first two hours were inexplicably poor, and it didn’t really improve after that. I caught two perch only ... which are normally a staple on this venue.
I did eventually manage to get a few roach lined up on hempseed, but they were of a small stamp. I couldn’t buy a bit on maggot or caster.
Total weight was 8 pounds, just shy of Mick’s 8:4 (he had mainly Gudgeon). I went straight home, but reports on the bank were that 10 pounds would frame.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Just spent a relaxing 4 hours on the canal bank at Rickmansworth with Neil 1970. I’m more often to be found on the supermarket wharf opposite but not room for 2…Quality roach, dace, Chublets and perch were coming and going in spurts. I had 3 bream on the long Chuck waggler and plenty of good roach …
9CECB44D-CE59-4A84-9FE2-BD20CA510ADE.jpeg

neil1970

Reaction score
First time float fishing for years! Really enjoyed the afternoon catching with Simon :)
did get some good footage of him landing fish, but even after resizing the files are too big to upload.
Got a nice closeup of one of the many roach though :)

Attachments

• 20210816_125848.jpg
    20210816_125848.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • 20210816_143653.jpg
    20210816_143653.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • 20210816_120959.jpg
    20210816_120959.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66

bullet

Reaction score
Haven't been out much for a while now, a few sessions here and there.
Checked out one of my Chub spots but spent more time trimming Willow back ready for the autumn than fishing, but got a good bag of hand sized Chublets and a few Dace.
A trip after Tench on the Canal in a nice rural spot.
IMG_20210813_180306784.jpg

First fish was a 5 and a half pound Skimmer, that made a right mess of my gear, bloody things they are!
Managed a couple of Tench as well and a few Roach.

Mostly I've been on the small streams with the fly, and found a few decent Brownies...

IMG_20210815_130932767.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
You have been missed Neil so good to see you back. On more mundane matters Gordon and I revisited the moody water from last week and , full of confidence, we set up in different but adjacent pegs. We were sure the carp would turn up; we were wrong!

IMG_0925.JPG

It remained overcast all day with a stiff and chilly breeze and intermittent showers. Undeterred we caught consistently on the float with several netters for Gordon and some i should have netted . They were all roach, Rudd and perch to about 12oz. I had a feeder out as well which produced one roach of around 12oz. The excitement of the afternoon came when I reeled in the feeder rod to rebait and recast. My float rod with a banded pellet had been forgotten until it was nearly pulled in by a carp. I managed to drop the feeder and grab the float rod just in time but the wily carp headed straight for the tree roots in the margin and snapped my hooklength of 3lb. Gordon heard the noise of the rod hitting the peg boards and saw a common shortly after it broke free.

We thoroughly enjoyed the day despite only catching modest fish and left quietly content with around 25 fish apiece. Cheers Gordon and here's to next time; your choice of venue.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A difficult day, nice overcast conditions with a bit of wind but I really struggled. Tench were the target but any rudd and bream would have done. I ended up with a bomb on the end of the line to beat the surface drag and a paternoster type hook length about 6 inches above that and a home made yellow and white visible float made out of reed stem; in about 4/5ft of water; the rod you wouldn't understand, most of you hadn't been invented when it was made, probably the era when this canal was dug, 1809. I feel as old as that some days so the rod is appropriate. But it is more springy than me, at least it can bend without groaning, moving on....
I smothered the area in hemp towards the middle and right towards the lily pad and I tried casters and bread first but kept getting nibbled by tiddlers all the time so I ended up with just sweetcorn over the hemp. All I got was this one small roach. Should have been a better day but there you go, that's fishing.
I still enjoyed it, very peaceful and a pleasant place to spend an afternoon, fish or no fish. Kingfisher regularly passed by and reed warblers were flitting about all afternoon but, no birds of prey, this is a good spot for buzzards, hobbies and kestrels but not today, maybe it was a bit too overcast for them to hunt as most of the day was; I have noticed that with BsOPrey, they like bright weather to hunt in it often seems. I just packed up and got the bus home as it started to rain, I got that bit right.
As I waited for the bus a bloke was fly fishing in the river attached to this canal, I didn't see him catch anything but he looked the part with shades, camo and a jungle hat. I think he might have been after chub as I know the swim and it holds a few, no trout there as far as I know, very unlikely.
P1000155.JPG
P1000156.JPG

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
It was a grey morning with a chilly breeze that was only getting stronger by lunchtime. With the trees thrashing in the wind, any fishing would have to be something not involving a float or a pole, and the river was low and clear even last Thursday, so I took the new (to me) rod to try it out on some carp in a Lincolnshire lake. I'd cleaned off the sticky 'soft touch' reel seat with meths, and paired it with an ebay unused 90's Shimano, one of my favourite types of reel, that I'd got so recently I still hadn't replaced the double handle with a single.

c4.jpg

It felt like just the right reel, in proportion with the svelte little feeder rod.

The roadworks tailbacks made it harder than usual to escape Nottingham, but by 2pm I was sitting with my collar turned up in a wind that was frisky even filtered through the trees.

c.jpg

I've found I don't like catching carp on the pole, much as I like pole fishing, but I do like fishing bomb and pellet for them. It's like a steroidal version of fishing maggot on a link leger, except you're dripping in 8mm pellets which are so perfect for feeding they make anyone feel like a genius with a catapult And the 'bites' are ridiculous, second only to barbel.

For whatever reason, the least appealing (imo) of carp varieties are real fight to the end sluggers

c3.jpg

A few other fair-sized carp followed, and the rod was as good as I'd hoped.

c1.jpg

john step

Reaction score
I have not posted on HDYGO much lately as I have been frequenting the Dark Side and I know how much most on here regard the species. I have had a few lets say.

Today was a day to remember when setting up. Not for fishy reasons.
Firstly I had not properly sited my chair on the sloping bank and the rear legs folded under just when my hand was supporting my weight to get up.
I now have a hole in my right little finger. I said something on the lines of golly fancy that but in Anglo Saxon. I cannot believe how something as small as a little finger can inflict so much pain. After the dizziness and claret subsided I managed to carry on setting up.

Then the 2nd bu$$eration event occurred. The bottom ring insert popped out and was left swinging on the line.

Luckily I have spares so there is a repair job for tomorrow.

mikench

Reaction score
Are ring inserts just a push fit. I ask as one broke in two on my DV 0.75 rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
I might just buy a new rod because at £44 it's not much dearer than paying someone to whip a new eye on. Annoyingly it's the second eye on the butt.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I might just buy a new rod because at £44 it's not much dearer than paying someone to whip a new eye on. Annoyingly it's the second eye on the butt.

Phone The Tackle Box, they have a lifetime warranty on their own gear. I’m sure they will sort it out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk