How did you get on?

john step

Reaction score
I might just buy a new rod because at £44 it's not much dearer than paying someone to whip a new eye on. Annoyingly it's the second eye on the butt.
That is extremely decadent. There will be a tackle dealer near to you who can get it done .
I wouldnt trust an insert that had been popped back in.
My temporary repair looks like one of Markgs until I can spend the time to do a proper job. I need the rod again tomorrow.

For the tackle tarts............... I only had green whipping thread not black so it will be a right mix until I get the proper colour.:eek:

mikench

Reaction score
I have contacted Tackle Box so shall await their response. They are an excellent company to deal with and they have my details from a few items I've bought from them.

neil1970

Reaction score
We spent last week in Weymouth; a place that we all love dearly.
I managed a few fishing sessions and found it really hard to get through the tiny Pout, Pollack and Black Gobys to catch anything else...not complaining though because it was good to be back to lrf in saltwater. I did catch a bonus Rock Goby and Tompot Blenny eventually.

On the last but one evening I took my wife Andrea out... first drop a Pout, second a Leopard spotted goby....a fish I've been after for years (ffs).

I've got a bit of footage of it (mostly me swearing at her), but genuinely pleased for her, and glad I've finally got to see one in the flesh.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
  • 20210811_162034.jpg
    20210811_162034.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69

maceo

Reaction score
Well the new Shakespeare Agility rod kindly recommended by @Mark Wintle and @rob48 arrived on Friday, but today was the first proper chance to get out and give it its premier.

I went to my usual spot on the upper Thames near Newbridge - absolutely empty as ever, apart from people setting up a couple of marquees for a wedding reception in the middle of the field. That's how beautiful it is down there, it's where people want to go to celebrate one of the best days of their lives and it's the reason I like fishing pretty rivers rather than desolate gravel pits. The river seemed in prime summer fishing condition, with a nice slow flow. The only problem was the wind, which was surprisingly strong given that the forecast had promised "gentle breezes".

Got set up and went for quite a large 5BB waggler because of the wind, with a 14 hook. First impression of the rod was how thin the handle is compared to my old Maver and how light it is. I never learn my lesson and always waste money on a pint of maggots, which is just pointless in the summer months as they barely hit the surface before the multitude of bleak hurl themselves at the bait. So I'm sorry to say the first fish caught was a little finger size bleak!

Switched to sweetcorn as hookbait and after a while got into a good one and it was the first real time the rod got used to catch a proper fish. It was a lovely roach - maybe a pound and a half. Anyway, it was too big to swing out and although I'd got my landing net ready I hadn't extended the bloody pole and I couldn't quite reach to get it in the net. As I was fumbling about trying to get the pole extended, he gave a massive wriggle and snapped the hook length and was off. Damn it.

The wind died down a lot and the conditions for fishing were absolutely beautiful. Managed to catch three or four more roach from about 1/2 pound to a pound (nothing that needed the now extended landing net of course!) and a nice dace. The rod was wonderful. I'm really pleased with it. My now deceased Maver cost me £20, so I was really iffy about spending £60 on a new one as it's a lot for me. I wondered whether it'd be like the difference between a £5 bottle of wine and a £25 bottle of wine, that only a proper connoisseur would notice and which would be wasted on a clumsy ham-fisted amateur like me! But no. It was really nice to use, you could notice the difference. Casting accuracy and distance both seemed to be improved - the former especially. The number of times I thought smugly "perfect!" after casting were much more than those where I thought "Ah caramba!", which is often not the case.....

I was only supposed to go for an hour or so, because the youngest son is in Covid catch up summer school and I had to pick him up at 2. I went as long as I dared before packing up fast, but I was enjoying myself and would have liked to have stayed longer. Anyway, as the day improved weather-wise there were more boats coming up and down and even some of the cursed paddle boats hired out to families by the Rose Revived pub. Some of the boats today seemed really fast and made big waves. That ruins the bank. One motor boat came by so fast and made such big waves that I even had to duck back from the spray as the waves crashed onto the bank.

Thanks once again for the recommendations for the rod. As I say, I really delighted with it. Worth every penny. Keep your twitter and insty-facey-gram social media - I knew Fishing Magic Forums would put me right!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have had it with that bleedin boat !

I had a gut feeling that it was going to be a struggle today and very nearly didn't go but in the end I did....dropped onto my favourite spot which was just being vacated by an overnight carper. " Tench rolling at dawn" he said so I thought I might bag one or two. Looked good but there was no rolling going on by the time I was set up and after 3 hours without a twitch I was praying for a mugfish despite conditions looking good ( overcast,warm and breezy)

Mugfish duly arrived about 1030 and his mate showed up about 30 mins later. Then the boat came out.....first run some stupid women doing "tricks" nearer me than the buoy line. She fell off of course and right over my baits naturally. I was so bloody mad I hurled abuse at the tw@t driving the boat ( who wont look at you so he bloody knows) and packed up. I could have moved but once Ahab is out I just cannot stand it.

Thats it for me and that place. I shall go fish somewhere that doesn't have these idiots showboating about all day long. Get a f*****g job !

Both tench about 4-12 or so. Lot of males about this year....dunno where the big females have gone.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A walk along the GUC with the light lure gear this morning saw three small pike and five hand size perch caught which was a bit better than yesterday on the local reservoir where a strong,cold,blustery NW breeze with intermittent rain, lots of weed made it awkward with only two skimmers to show for it. Saw a water vole swim across the canal and disturbed a female sparrowhawk from a far bank tree. The real reason though was to pick about a pound of wild damsons to immerse in gin for a few weeks.

nottskev

Reaction score
Another windy afternoon. I didn't fancy it, but with beavers on the march, you have to make the most of the time we have left. I settled on the nearby disused canal, but the pound where I've had some great catches was catching the wind full on, so I tried a sheltered peg on the pound below, which I'd not fished before. A bridge swim is always interesting, and the arch - just visible by the plant on the wall - is open to the pound above, so you could end up playing a fish on the other side of the road.

Dc.jpg

I set up two rigs, a heavy rig to fish against the bridge arch ( .14 line, 16 hook, 4x14 float, and doubled no 4 elastic) and a light rig to fish on the drop by some lilies to my right. The pound above was quite prolific in April and May, but I soon realised this was not going to be like that, and neither swim produced a bite for 15 mins. You expect a bit of debris in bridge swims on busy roads. So I was only moderately surprised when the first positive bite by the arch produced this belt buckle. It took two casters on a 16.

Dc1.jpg

Neither swim ever took off, and I ended up 4 hours later with around 8lb of perch, roach, ide, rudd and skimmers. One of the ide was a chunky specimen

Dc2.jpg

And the occasional rudd was pretty

Dc3.jpg

But next time, I'm going on the other section even if it is windy.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Well back to the public lake for me today. No carp or tench today, became a little challenging getting through the small roach until I came off the float and onto a swim feeder and started to pickup some better fish, had about 4 to almost a pound. Even more fun as I used a swing tip. Every time I go there, there are rats that live amongst the reed beds and the rats aren't afraid of a dip too. There were 3/4 young ones that kept popping their heads out, trying to get the 'spilt' bits of ground bait, I think this is how they survive. Children at the lake can be a bit trying, I suddenly turned round to a voice behind me and it was a mother standing literally a foot behind me. 'I want to take a picture of you catching a fish please'. At this point her two children rode their bikes into the area where I was fishing, got off them and just let their bikes to the ground almost breaking one of the rods. I didn't want to show annoyance, and was thinking how to get them away, so I mentioned 'there are rats in these reeds you know'. The mother retorted 'Well I can't see any'. Someone must have been smiling at me from above, as the moment she said this, all of the rats popped their heads out of the reeds and started coming out. Exit very quickly one hysterical mother and children............ :).

nottskev

Reaction score
Now that is a truly gorgeous looking carp.

You beat me to it there. I think our Lincolnshire correspondent has nailed a most iconic carp pic. I've saved it, and it's not as if I'm a big carp fan.