How did you get on?

neil1970

Reaction score
I went fishing for Perch our local pit this evening.
Only fished for 15 minutes, first cast a Perch.
Third cast a 95cm Pike.
Packed up my rod and rested the Pike for an hour before release.
20210824_184154.jpg
20210824_190046.jpg
20210824_184207.jpg

Reaction score
Whimbrels have a very strange call,or at least they do when around their nests,haunting is how I'd put it....

nottskev

Reaction score
The best pegs were taken - fair enough, since I wandered over after lunch - and I couldn't be bothered driving back through the locked gates and trying another section. There was a peg that's somewhere between interesting and challenging free, so I settled for that. The river funnels into the swim off shallows, and it boils and breaks on its way through, past a big swirling pool like a washing machine 15m down. The usual way to fish it is to cast a light bomb into the maelstrom and let it settle where it settles. I tried that first, and hooked a big barbel straightaway, but the line broke at the hook - it came back with the curl from the eye . It's not the first time this has happened with a knotless knot, and it's disconcerting when a knot is randomly unreliable.

I had a rod with an 8g float set up, so I tried that. Often the float would just disappear and turn up somewhere you didn't quite expect, but every now and then I'd manage to steer it more or less down the crease between the fast flow and the pool. I didn't get many bites, but there were three of these

p6.jpg

And three of these

p1.jpg

I was happy enough with that, after a bad start.

mikench

Reaction score
Is that a tattoo of a hook on your finger Neil? Cracking catch Kev. For the first time Gordon and I mused on the use of a keep net as his haul would have looked good and nearly filled it. Most of our waters don't allow them and yesterday's was no exception. There have been some excellent posts recently on this thread.

nottskev

Reaction score
I had some leftover bait to use up so I drove over to the tench lake. I was shocked to find another angler's car there, but he was in a peg I never fish where I couldn't see him, I was relieved to find.

tl.jpg

I was setting up at about 2pm when old John the farmer came for my money. What did I think of that then?, he asked me. What? The Red Arrows. I've just come, John. Oh, he said, they were here half and hour ago, right over us, they did the full works, the tricks, the lights, the red, white and blue, right overhead. It's a shame I was stuck in traffic trying to escape Nottingham then. John presumed they'd been over at RAF Syerston, just a couple of (supersonic) minutes away. And he was right; I just looked up their schedule.

Anyway, I set up the usual smallish tench gear, .14 line, 4 x 18 float, black hydro, and got fishing. As usual, there were plenty about, but the skies were grey, the air cool and the tench had a bit of end of summer indifference to food. The average fish was about this size

tl1.jpg

About an hour in, a thunderous tearing noise rent the sky. Pigeons and rooks took off from the trees and scrambled for safety in disaster movie style. Time and again the noise rose to a peak, faded and came back with the kind of intensity that suggested that, even though you were safe on your seatbox, you should be cowering on the floor with your hands over your ears. The (younger) farmer's kids appeared on the far bank, gazing up like one of those iconic Spielberg scenes. Once, the source of the noise dipped below the low clouds and a Tornado jet swooped, turned and accelerated out of sight, afterburners lit. Pretty well everything people call "awesome" these days isn't, but this was.

I don't know if I can blame the RAF, but the tench were a bit finicky and skittish today, and I had to keep swapping between maggot, pellet and meat, lifting and dropping, changing the depth etc to keep bites coming. By 6pm I was noticing how quickly the light, on this gloomy day, was fading and gave it best.

tl2.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very little to say about yesterday, blanked for a couple hours on the canal. Using up some paste from last time and some sweetcorn. A few nibbles on the paste but nothing to strike at. I think maybe the colder nights lately may have dropped the water temperature a bit, it is very shallow. No pictures either because the camera ran out of charge.
Still, nice sunny day with a bit of breeze and I did enjoy watching a buzzard circling above mewing away and kingfisher twice, it was flying very high, about 100 yds up, unusual to see them high like that, a couple of reed warblers and a green woodpecker yakking from the trees opposite.

John Aston

Reaction score
Nottskev-my inner aeroplane geek compels me to ask are you sure it was a Tornado, not a Typhoon? Tornados went out of service in July .

nottskev

Reaction score
Nottskev-my inner aeroplane geek compels me to ask are you sure it was a Tornado, not a Typhoon? Tornados went out of service in July .

The other angler came round for a chat as I was packing up. He didn't see the plane from his enclosed swim, but said it would be the Tornado. I've just checked photos online, and you're right: it had the distinctive triangular profile of the Typhoon.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Go plane spotting leave the fishing tackle at home?
When I fish Newlands you can't help but see the planes and helicopters coming in and out of Brize Norton.
My best experience was when I worked on a generator near the control tower at RAF Lossiemouth, we were watching the fighters take off in formation, AWCS planes landing, Commercial pilots doing circuits and bumps,
Had similar views at other RAF bases when worked there.

Reaction score
When concorde was in development it was forever flying over Stanton Harcourt a club water I loved back then,bloody noisy,that isnt that far from Brize Norton.