How did you get on?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Late start for me today I started at Jerry O’ clock or as it’s also known just after midday. I was back on the estate lake that I have mentioned before. It looked ideal for a bit of float fishing for roach and rudd. We can only really fish one side and Sod’s law a breeze sprung up blowing directly into my face. It wasn’t totally unwelcome as it was baking hot. The wild flowers next to where I had decided to fish were stunning.
1fe419d6fcc3ca0e653822089b19bcac.jpg

Though it looked good it was very slow to start and I was fishless at the hour mark. To add insult to injury the tourist boat that takes visitors up and down the lake said over the PA “On your right is a fisherman who is enjoying the sunshine.” Not much of a fisherman I thought as I was still fishless. I upped the size of the float as it was quite difficult punching it out into the wind. The bottom is fairly clean so I fished slightly over depth dragging a small shot on the bottom.
09c0aebd13fc246c7a13060fa65c54d6.jpg

The boat isn’t a problem as it keeps well away. They rent out boats too but so far they have behaved themselves too.

I broke my duck and tried a succession of various baits, the most successful being sweet corn coated in Lo-salt. In fact it was by far the best bait on the day. I fished on until 7pm and built up a decent bag of fish. I don’t usually use a keepnet and I have decided I won’t in future. What decided it was a few scales in the bottom of the net.
939d9b273853f260d1457375b0976b14.jpg

Not a bad afternoons fishing and good fun on light gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don’t recall it feel rough as I unhooked it, but as I swung it in it was basically completely translucent. Gave me a hell of a bite for its size, considering I was fishing with a 3lb carp rod (only thing I had available)

Doesn't look like a dab, they usually have faint orange spots and are more round, could be a small flounder or something more unusual as Whitty says. Looks like you had a nice interesting day and a nice spot.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on usual club water yesterday, very hot and sunny later, it was ok at 6 am when I arrived, but went downhill later, needed some cloud cover but none to be had.

Usual tactics fish for tench and silvers fish till three pm on the pole, and then swap to the margins for carp, first hour was ok then as the sun got higher it went very slow, usual chopped worm and ground bait, with half a worm on the hook. Did have a tench and three crucians which was nice early on, then just a few skimmers and the one eyed roach I’ve caught before.

Did manage six carp later, but they were very cagey only the smaller ones taking a bait, the larger fish wouldn’t pick a bait up, a bit frustrating really, but that’s fishing, nice day out apart from the heat.
8776BF09-63B3-435E-925E-A6E9966A6367.jpeg
1C1DC912-655C-48E2-96D2-4EE5CBB0DFDE.jpeg
A59FF279-DECB-46BC-80B3-30288C003D4A.jpeg

Reaction score
I will not be going fishing in this heat and on Thursday they are talking heavy rain which is not ideal so a week without angling looks likely...

wetthrough

Reaction score
Not the most productive of days yesterday. Went back to where Mike and I fished lest week but on a different pool to see how well it had recovered from the fish kill a couple of years ago. It looked good at 7am, several Carp cruising about. Picked a few small Perch up on maggot but it was 11am before getting a proper bite, a skimmer of around 11/2 lb. The Carp were cruising about for most of the morning but weren't for getting their heads down. Flirted some bread in which they either totally ignored or moved away from. Really struggled. Every now and then I'd have a half hour on maggot picking Perch up just to relieve the boredom, plenty of them but all small and not a single Roach until about 2:30 and a reasonable Perch around 4oz. Baking hot day even with my back to the sun for most of it.

GG_South_Roach_20210907_124036.jpg

Not a pool I'll be fishing again any time soon.

wetthrough

Reaction score
The far left pool as you come down the track. I fished the far bank (south end) where we've fished before once.

mikench

Reaction score
That is the so called Specimin pool where we caught golden orfe. We will give that a miss perhaps or maybe it was having an off day.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
That is the so called Specimin pool where we caught golden orfe. We will give that a miss perhaps or maybe it was having an off day.
My friend Collin ,the one you met at Lloyd's Meadow, went on The large pool at Dunham, he got plagued with a few small carp around 4" long for a while, then it went dead, had nothing else.

john step

Reaction score
A day in a deeply shady spot on this baking hot day. A gentle breeze from behind. A pint or so of Boddingtons Maggot to use up. A bite a chuck.
Lots of roach although on the small size.
A bottle of beer brought to me in the garden on my return.
Aint life grand.

rich66

Reaction score
Long while since I’ve posted, but today I do something a little different. Fished the river Soar at Narborough I say river but it’s maybe only 12 -14 foot across felt more like a little ditch. Dozens of rabid minnows with the odd small chub and dace thrown in. Last 2 note worthy fish where wild trout. Certainly nice to get back on to some water with a flow after a long while on the lakes. 4 maggots on a size 18 hook gave me half a chance to get though the minnows.
7b5e33b18cb7d8e5a29dbd6b370f46ad.jpg

seth49

Reaction score
Back to club water again, mick and Neil cried of because of the weather forecast, actually it was a nice day, till about 5.30, when without any warning a thunderstorm started about a mile from me, the rain was biblical had to sit under the brolly for over an hour till it eased of enough to pack up and go home.

Was a good day though, mixed catch on the pole with usual worm tactics, and then had six carp in the margins later, on either paste or pellets, did foul hook a few of the bigger ones, but they weren’t on long, shame I had some good fish in my swim at times, apart from the rain it was a good day, and apart from one other I had the place to my self, and he went at two.
543B0D8A-4699-46B0-A6B2-9347FA0753A8.jpeg

F82F6BFF-40FA-4F62-9F88-401CE54DDA23.jpeg

AFE96379-F283-4B5F-BB07-6B6874FDA92A.jpeg

jon atkinson

Reaction score
2 reports for the price of 1! Hiked up to the Newby pond on Sunday having arrived around lunchtime - it was brighter and warmer than expected so expectations weren't high! This was confirmed by a chap fishing who had been there since 06:00 without so much as a bite! Jumped on my favoured peg to fish out to the lillies but had to had to rake it out before I could fish as there was way too much weed in front.

Fished 6mm punched Spam feeding 4mm cubes out to the lillies and had a skimmer within 10 minutes but this proved to be something of a false dawn as it was bloody hard thereafter although I did manage a few repectable Roach and a hybrid that I thought was a really good Roach as it came to the net, but the slime all down the hooklength confirmed its mixed parentage!

On Wednesday, I went post work party to the Stork pond at Thornton Hough - fished peg 1 & tried Spam, corn and worm without a sniff. Fortunately another member swung by after his more productive session on the opposite side and gave me his left over maggots which gave me a succession of small Perch, so blank avoided. I did hook into what I think was a Tench at last knockings but the hook pulled and my float pinged back into the bush to my left trashing my rig
?
time to hit the road...

bullet

Reaction score
Free afternoon yesterday, so headed to the coast again a bit further afield than usual. I had Mackerel in mind as I'd heard the Brit had finally started to show up and the Maks had been chasing them onto the beach the evening before.
It was a bit breezy, but from behind, and a fair swell was running, but it looked fine for fishing the sliding float once I had feathered one out for bait.
This Chap was lolling about nearby, so I guessed he had fed well....
VID_20210909_142354455_exported_37.jpg

I started fishing my light spinning rod with a one ounce jig on the bottom and a couple of feathers above.
I saw a blitz a few hundred yards offshore so fish were about but it took me 2 hours to finally hook into something which turned out to be a full house of 3 good Maks, so that was bait sorted.
My favourite setup for here is a greys TX 1.5lb 12ft Specimen rod, with a sliding float taking an ounce. Braid on the reel with a mono leader.
The extra length helps you keep your line out of the waves and you can really hammer it out if you need to, which is handy as they often run 50 to 60 yards off.
Once the tide started pushing I was catching fairly steadily on the Float, mainly at range as there was no sign of the Brit in close, and they were down a bit, 18 ft or so seemed about right, obviously just off the bottom as I had a small Gurnard as well.
I love fresh Maks so brought a few home for Supper tonight and a few to freeze for bait.
IMG-20210909-WA0003.jpg

Reaction score
Never had em on the float,haf plenty of garfish though,crazy like flying fish...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Never had em on the float,haf plenty of garfish though,crazy like flying fish...
Yep garfish to but not as strong as mackerel. I find when float fishing for mackerel you have to strike them pretty quick, they don't hook themselves as readily as on feathers. Nice eating as well but, garfish have green bones or flesh so I have been told, puts people off. All much more fun on float, small hooks and little strips of fish.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Garfish have got fluorescent green bones and scales when they dry out,garfish taste nicer than mackerel to me as they are super fishy and oily,yuk...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
About this time last year I did a work party and went lure fishing for a few hours afterwards. It was a real red letter day and in a short afternoon session, if I remember correctly, I had forty perch and four pike. I thought I would do the same again today but not so fortunate. I fished the same swims but only had two perch around the half pound mark. I think one of the other members caned it before I arrived. I could see a few fresh boot marks on the bank.

I only stayed a couple of hours as I have a trip tomorrow with my eldest granddaughter. I thought I would be a bit more organised than I usually am and put some hemp and tares to soak yesterday. When I arrived home I put them on to cook, started watching the Chelsea game, well until the acrid smell of roasting tares and not a little smoke made its presence felt, bu88er. The tares had swelled up really nicely too. I managed to just about save the hemp.