How did you get on?

silvers

Reaction score
Clearly I spoke too soon about enjoying September and the following month the most, of all the months in the year!

another double header this weekend, the first being the sixth and final round of the Barford League on the same stretch of the Warks Avon. i’m getting a trifle jaded by being in the same section on every round! I drew a peg that I haven’t match fished since about 1994 (when I caught two trout on the pole from it!) ... as it has been re-platformed this year after not having one for many years. I was the last peg above the Sherborne confluence, which sounds grand ... but is a mere trickle and has zero effect on the main river, not even offering a bay or other haven to sheltering fish.
the peg is a little deeper Than the one above, approaching 7 ft, perhaps a bit more with the height of the river. The level had been up and down following the midweek rain ... and was ”just” below the level of the platform when we started. It dropped a further inch or two but because of the constant rain all match, was back to the starting level by the end of the day. To be honest, my feet wouldn’t have been much wetter if I’d been sat in the river... the old boots are definitely to be retired now! But the river was still really clear, you could see down 5 feet!
For once, the micro dace were not such a pest today ... I caught quite a few stampers (2-3 oz fish) on my customary caster hook bait ... I could even fish a semi strung out rig on the stick float in the second half of the match. I only suffered one pike strike ... but the catching pattern was very odd. I’d get two in two chucks, then nothing for 20 mins, then repeat ... it was like that for four hours. I ended up with 7 pounds ten ounces for 3rd in section, beaten by two big fish weights... and the team was third equal on the day with Cadence Superteam, so held on to our third place in the league (which is the best that we’ve done whilst I’ve been fishing with Matchbox).

on Sunday it was the first round of the Bedford winter league on the Gt. Ouse at Willington. Following the day of precipitation on Saturday, this was fished on a rising and colouring river, albeit a lot lower than the corresponding round last year (which I enjoyed a lot more).
In short, I just couldn’t snare anything half decent ... I even resorted to Bleaking, although that exhausted after about 20! the conditions really weren’t that bad, I could put a float through quite passably ... just couldn’t get any bites From worthwhile fish! I had a lot of micro fish for 4 pounds and eleven ounces, which was only worth 5th in an eight peg section. Hopefully that’s my bad result out of the way. 6:13 won the section ... and I think the team still managed second, although with little contribution fro me. I left early from the results , with a proper monk on!!! Steve Drakulic won the match with 11:13 from the concrete block Peg. He had a perch that was nearly 3 pounds in that bag.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Its like the Thames it continues its flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep I quite agree Mike ??
A142943E-AD28-479D-A30F-6E460946B3B7.jpg

hooferinsane

Reaction score
I took a trip back to a small stream I had previously fished, in the hope that I would catch one of the large chub I have seen there. I took a 5ft telescopic rod (the stream is tiny) and ledgered using 2AA on a small link ledger. I cast a worm out and put the rod down to put the net head on the landing net handle, when I had a very firm knock on the rod tip. Unfortunately the brand new 3.5lb line broke:(. Set up the end tackle again and had a decent roach almost straight away. There’s been a thread on forum recently about dead maggots, but having tried them for the first time today (I couldn’t get to the tackle shop for live ones) they accounted for the carp of about 3lb below

6E753A0F-46BA-488F-AEDB-7E4811B4C578.jpeg

A couple of other roach came to freelined worm, but alas no chub. However, a lady angler who was roving this stream appeared and showed me some photos of some chub she had caught in the same spot last week. Pictures below of the size of the stream

6DF95D60-4AFD-4552-8C1E-D5248171AB83.jpeg
F705F179-0BDE-4E8A-AE18-AD66F98065CA.jpeg
A41E1248-85E9-4084-98FB-856BA72AA937.jpeg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Well today was a wonderful day. It started with a beautiful sunrise just as Gordon and I set up on the venue which is now very much in favour again.

IMG_1232.JPG

It was chilly though but we were unconcerned.

IMG_1234.JPG

Gordon plumbed up and I started on the feeder. We caught from the off but no carp and nothing big but it was great to see Gordon again and to be catching fish. We both had over 20 assorted roach, perch and skimmers with no tiddlers. The weather was kind, the sun shone and normality was restored. Our venue is a lovely spot in a delightful area and we ended the day quite content.

Reaction score
Today was awful,I got up this morning feeling a little under the weather,nothing specific,but,anyway turned up at about 6.45am,3 cars in the car park,walked down picked a swim,set up and third trot down I had a barbel,then I started to feel a bit worse,gut pain,aching shoulders,pains in the head,tried to keep going but couldnt get into it,so packed at around 11am,been sat at home feeling naff all bloody day,only brightened up by a surprise visit from my nephew,his wife and gorgeous daughter,the last time I saw them I played with the baby(Hazel)and just before they went I put some hand cream on,she was enthralled,so I got a dab,put a little on my nose,then put some on hers gently....big mistake,she hasnt forgotten the terrifying encounter and is totally traumatised by it,crying her eyes out if I come anywhere near her,even when armed with food,whitty,satan incarnate...

The Runner

Reaction score
First trip out up here in a few weeks today at Staffin. Only went for the afternoon and even then had to cut the session short on H&S grounds after less than three hours. Not an indication, sea probably a bit too lumpy for the pollack.
Swell was mostly only the height of the first one to come in in this clip. But every now and again with no warning a couple of proper ones would roll in and you can't tell that they're bigger until the last minute. Discretion being the better part of valour and all that....

Last edited: