How did you get on?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Well perhaps I am old fashioned Stuart but if someone else posts about a venue I recognized and didn’t name it, I wouldn’t name it out of respect.

Even more so if I knew it was a small free bit of chalkstream in the most densly populated area of the country.
To be fair Phil there’s nothing wrong in naming a river, I’m not exactly naming specific swims ? ……. that I’d respect ?%
Yer may of also noticed I were more discreet about location, I didn’t say a particular town, I mearly stated a Southeast London river,

That’s like saying mustn’t mention the Darent or Cray or any small UK river,

I pulled out of the Carp scene many years ago because of rediculas jealousy and stupidity,
Would like to think that us river anglers are not so secret squirrel and just use common sence,

yer mention old School, I couldn’t be any more old School if I tried ?

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
To be fair Phil there’s nothing wrong in naming a river, I’m not exactly naming specific swims ? ……. that I’d respect ?%
Yer may of also noticed I were more discreet about location, I didn’t say a particular town, I mearly stated a Southeast London river,

That’s like saying mustn’t mention the Darent or Cray or any small UK river,

I pulled out of the Carp scene many years ago because of rediculas jealousy and stupidity,
Would like to think that us river anglers are not so secret squirrel and just use common sence,

yer mention old School, I couldn’t be any more old School if I tried ?
Stuart you are well experienced enough to know for a river that tiny you dont need a specific swim.

You named someone elses venue and hardly a widely known one when they didn’t. While you may consider thats ok & simply not being a secret squirrel, I would not do it out of respect for someone elses fishing...but maybe thats just me.

I look forward to seeing some of your catch reports with photos and venue details on this thread.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Bit of help needed please. This is more a question of how I'm not getting on. Strictly not the correct thread but I know I will get instant responses.
Every time I insert a photo I get a link like this:
View attachment 1.jpg
How do I load a full photo? Pete

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Bit of help needed please. This is more a question of how I'm not getting on. Strictly not the correct thread but I know I will get instant responses.
Every time I insert a photo I get a link like this:
View attachment 17346
How do I load a full photo? Pete
There should be a logo on top of the picture Pete, one is a dustbin on the right to delete it and on the left top another logo, "insert" click it and a drop box appears , thumbnail and full image, just click full image and the whole picture should appear in your post. You do this before you save the post as your editing if that makes sense.
I have amended this post...

PS are you attaching your pictures to your post with the attach files logo at the bottom of the post as your editing it.? So your putting them in straight from your computer./ Do you want me to go through the whole process from beginning? I can PM it as well if you would rather that, just say, no sweat.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
There should be a logo on top of the picture Pete, one is a dustbin on the right to delete it and on the left top another logo, "insert" click it and a drop box appears , thumbnail and full image, just click full image and the whole picture should appear in your post. You do this before you save the post as your editing if that makes sense.
I have amended this post...

PS are you attaching your pictures to your post with the attach files logo at the bottom of the post as your editing it.? So your putting them in straight from your computer./ Do you want me to go through the whole process from beginning? I can PM it as well if you would rather that, just say, no sweat.
Markg. I am still struggling. A PM in your own time would be most useful and not clutter the thread. Thanks. Pete

no-one in particular

Reaction score
mmmmmm
Markg. I am still struggling. A PM in your own time would be most useful and not clutter the thread. Thanks. Pete
Ok, I will just give you a complete run down how I do it from beginning to end, maybe that's best. It is actually not difficult once you know it, it is how I do it to load up a picture from my computer onto a post. I will PM you later...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I am at Gabriel’s Farm Fishery today. My eldest granddaughter Lexi enjoyed her first trip here a couple of weeks ago and asked to go again. So far she has had eight roach and perch. It’s quite a pretty little fishery and doesn’t look like a typical commercial. There is an on site tackle shop and the staff are helpful and pleasant. I have set my stall out to catch a decent perch. The floating leaves are a bit of a nuisance but that goes with the season. Tomorrow I have a bit of lure fishing planned on the Rother.

25bf2dfda59886cccc369021ec7862c6.jpg

So far today I have had one perch on dendrobena worm and now on the prawn.

This is my swim for the day.

5d2caaaea41ed68b0b1a3ed44cb6400d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not all commercials are bad Ray, nice to see something positive about them even if it was not a typical but what is. Have we a new lady champion in the making.
This might interest a few on here. Another recce up the pier today, actually wanted to fish myself but one thing or another. Anyway, as I was talking to this bloke he pulled up this. He said the bass was chasing the whiting and I said surely that's too big for it. He said no and he was fishing like this deliberately, a Pennell rig with a baited worm and hook and the other bare. You can just see the bass actually foul hooked in the picture. He said bass take a bigger whiting than that. He turned out to be very experienced fisherman, a commercial fisherman as well, he pointed out to me that commercial fishermen are fishermen and anglers are not fishermen, they are anglers.
Anyway by the by, he went on to recognize me from 20 years ago fishing on the pier when he came on as a lad, remembered my old mate as well who I used to fish with, Ted; long gone now. Strange world sometimes but a really nice bloke, gave me this bass, said he had a freezer full of fish from his commercial exploits which I have just cooked, in the oven with some oil and herbs, very nice too but I left half it to soak in some balsamic vinegar for tomorrow. What a nice bloke. I have not had my bass meal this year, cant catch one so happy now, well, not quite but it will do. What a lovely fish, bars of silvers, I love them. That's all tail and muscle, few bones except one big back bone, that's why they fight so well.
Back to the fishing, I have heard of this method many times, just surprised the size of the whiting that bass went for. I would find it annoying, have I got a whiting on, is that bite a whiting, did it get hooked, is that a bass or a hard pulling whiting. He had a few in a bucket he had caught, they were bigger than the pin whiting that plague but still a bit sorry to see them arrive, is that the end of the summer fish!
P1000276.JPG

Last edited:

tommos16

Reaction score
A spot of River Piking on the River Dee today (and since it was technically over the Welsh border, I should also call it the Afon Dyfrdwy). Two takes on half Macks, one lost and resulting in this lean but long future monster. Really good fun figuring it out on the River and they are a completely different beast once they’re in the flow. A great success
2e0207db4f8dfd51f0d4f9feaf952d23.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
How does a Bass swallow a fish nearly the same size as itself? It defies belief.
That's what I thought Mike, the bass's mouth does not open that wide let alone its gut but this bloke was adamant, he said he had caught bass on larger whiting than that, he knew what he was talking about, he was very experienced in it all, more than me so, I believed him, nature is strange!
PS, he wraps the line around the shank of the second hook a few times so it is right close to the baited one, he showed me how he does this.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Perch do the same, I caught one of about half a pound on a big spinnerbait a couple of weeks ago. I have had some very ambitious wasps lately.

a2e01f617fffa05d7477393c22a33323.jpg

77f873c5054e8f2701198accfa26d94a.jpg

Thinking about that bass, I wonder if it is the tethered fish sending out distress signals, an easy meal in the offing that excited the bass to attack regardless the size, same with these perch possibly. Their hunting instinct just takes over any thought of it is sizable enough to eat and they just go for it. I think the bloke said he caught this bass while reeling in the whiting in this instance. Same thing, struggling wounded fish moving through the water and just sheer instinct takes over in the predator's mind.

Keith M

Reaction score
Reminds me of the three photos of a fingerling Pike fry completely swallowing another pike fry of the same size; that’s in Fred Bullers Classic ‘Pike’ book.
It has the whole thing happening in three consecutive photos.

The same Photo sequence is also shown in another book that I own called ‘The Fishing world in Pictures’ I don’t know whether showing them on this forum might be illegal copyright material otherwise I would show you these photos on here. It’s unbelievable.

Has anyone else seen these shots? (I’m sure I’m not the only person on here that’s got Fred Bullers book on Pike)

Keith

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
I think it is is true of most predatory fish in their younger stages that they chase anything that seems it will make a meal especially if it seems easy.
I think older bigger fish are more likely to be territorial and won't expend their energy as much chasing just anything.

After all it is a vicious fish eat fish underwater world and devouring the competition only makes you bigger and stronger.

I haven't seen the Buller pictures but have personally witnessed a pike of around 6lb attempt to swallow a pike of just over 8lb my mate was playing at the time. He landed both!

There is also a similar scene in one of the 'River Monsters' episodes somewhere in South America as I recall.

Reaction score
Another horrible start,my mother in law had an absyss appear in her mouth about three or four days ago,she lives in Rushden,there are no NHS dentists there,the nearest out of hours GP is around 15 miles away,she has a fear of going out of the house,she is very close to the wind money wise,well someone had some antibiotics here(a nurse),so her other half popped them round to me this morning and I run them over,taking my tackle to fish in Bedford on the way back there was a massive tailback,so I took a short cut,not knowing halfway round the road I needed to take was completely closed,what should have been ten minutes drive ended up being 45,so I didnt get set up on the river until 12.45,I packed at 4.30pm( the yobs were gathering) and caught around 50 roach to 6ozs,8 perch to 8ozs,plus around 15 skimmers from 6 to 10ozs all on a 2gm bolo in 11ft of water feeding dark g.bait and red maggot some of the best ive ever had...
Just to add,to add to my woes side of the day,my autistic son had a behavioural issue when I got home,he head butted my arm several times(really hard),which normally wouldnt be so bad,apart from the fact I had had the flu jab the day before right where he butted,he also kept kicking my bad knee,so now im crocked,what an old git eh???

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
Had intended to have another couple of hours lure fishing again today.

Decided to try the canal again but on the other side of town leading from the train station and heading towards Meadowhall. Walked there to find that massive works are underway and that most of the towpath is closed in town with no access until after New York stadium.

This left a 200 yard stretch outside the train station and a very shallow stretch of the Don through town including the weir at forge island.

Flogged away at the available water thrashing it to a foam with a variety of hard and soft lures without any joy.