How did you get on?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A few hours on the local reservoir this morning in a much cooler breeze than Saturday but still had three jacks and a perch to Mepps and a white curly tail grub to go with the two pike and 10+ perch caught on Saturday.
The few swallows and house martins seem to have headed south now but ten cormorants on the water this morning was disappointing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A spell on the pier today, only me and three foreigners on there, only one bass caught by one of the foreigners, have they fished them all out! I had one mackerel on the spinner and then Mr Slobabgreed got out his 8 feather trace and caught a few, my impression was there just a few small pods of mackerel going through. I tried one of my lockdown creations for a change down around the pier pylons, I tried jigging it about and wafting it in the current but no go, it looked like a prawn to me in the water but does it look like one to a fish! However, it has given me an idea for a plan B, maybe tomorrow. I watched a Dolphin swim by about 500 yds. away but by the time I got my camera he had disappeared, at least I think it was a dolphin, black, moving purposely through the water against the current and too big for a porpoise but I am no expert. This little auk swam by, I think it is a guillemot, don't see them usually in my neck of the woods. Probably like the dolphin after the mackerel or whitebait which are having an extended summer. Nice day but the wind had a bit of a chill factor, sea clear and calm, I think it will be the same for another couple of days.
P1000280.JPG
P1000282.JPG
P1000281.JPG

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
At 8.40 am I wasn't for going fishing in the drizzle. By 10.00am It had stopped so off I went.

IMG_1276.JPG

A familiar venue and peg but one I hadn't visited for a couple of months. I set up the Silverlite 13' feeder and commenced. First catch after 5 minutes was a nice crucian of around one pound twelve ounces and next cast produced this.

IMG_1269.JPG

It was slightly bigger and battered. I call them crucians because they look it to me. It then went quiet so I switched to the float with the sphere 14' and had around a dozen small roach, Rudd, skimmers and gudgeon all on maggot.

I then reverted to the feeder as the slight drizzle turned to proper rain and I had to erect the brolly. I had 5 carp with the biggest , a mirror just under 10lb

IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG

I packed up at 3.30 after an enjoyable day which held no great expectations. All the carp were caught on Mainline Cell 8mm pellet and Cell micros.

mikench

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I broke a tip on the Silverlite (1oz) which is annoying and it must have been a wrap around. Does anyone know if the Sphere feeder tips are the same and interchangeable ? What was the thread in which Sam gave links to a source for tips.

rob48

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I broke a tip on the Silverlite (1oz) which is annoying and it must have been a wrap around. Does anyone know if the Sphere feeder tips are the same and interchangeable ? What was the thread in which Sam gave links to a source for tips.
Benwicks stock them all and list the rods' requirements.
If you know exactly which one(s) you need you could then search for prices.
I think Billy Clarke in Sheffield lists them as well.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Went back to the public lake, hadn’t been for two weeks, 7.00am start. Boy, was it difficult. Nothing for two hours, then three tiny roach on single maggot. Sweetcorn is normally a killer bait for large roach and rudd (and carp ) there, but no takers today. About 2.30pm I did pick up 4/5 larger roach again on maggot. Then on casting out and letting the waggler drift quite close in, one of the carp took a liking to the double maggot offering. Unfortunately, I had neglected to check the drag before starting to fish, and it was locked down completely resulting in my 6lb line going ‘ping’ before I had the chance to adjust the drag. So, not the best day, but the best thing probably was the view of the lake at dawn.

DECD68CF-678D-4B22-A1EB-7B5351AA3119.jpeg

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
Returned to my local stream today it was hard going as the water levels were well down for this stage in October. The session gave my the opportunity to try out my new reel namely a Shimano 4000D baitrunner. I purchased this reel on several recommendations to take the strain from my Shimano Super Gt which is now over 20years old. The new reel will primarily be used for barbel I have to say the clutch is the smoothest I have used the reel is well made as I understand it was designed for the USA light salt water market. It goes well with my Torrix 1.75 which I put into use today catching 4 barbel. Even the guys in the "flyers" struggled today with little of note being caught. Roll on the rain

bullet

Reaction score
A spell on the pier today, only me and three foreigners on there, only one bass caught by one of the foreigners, have they fished them all out! I had one mackerel on the spinner and then Mr Slobabgreed got out his 8 feather trace and caught a few, my impression was there just a few small pods of mackerel going through. I tried one of my lockdown creations for a change down around the pier pylons, I tried jigging it about and wafting it in the current but no go, it looked like a prawn to me in the water but does it look like one to a fish! However, it has given me an idea for a plan B, maybe tomorrow. I watched a Dolphin swim by about 500 yds. away but by the time I got my camera he had disappeared, at least I think it was a dolphin, black, moving purposely through the water against the current and too big for a porpoise but I am no expert. This little auk swam by, I think it is a guillemot, don't see them usually in my neck of the woods. Probably like the dolphin after the mackerel or whitebait which are having an extended summer. Nice day but the wind had a bit of a chill factor, sea clear and calm, I think it will be the same for another couple of days.
View attachment 17459View attachment 17461View attachment 17462

A few things here, Mark.

Report those F**ckers for keeping undersize Bass, these people are a scourge around our coasts and don't give a monkey's for any regulations....your local fisheries protection would be a good starting place.

Get a new hook for that Abu Koster ( and split rings)

That lockdown Shrimp Lure....Dang! ?

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A few things here, Mark.

Report those F**ckers for keeping undersize Bass, these people are a scourge around our coasts and don't give a monkey's for any regulations....your local fisheries protection would be a good starting place.

Get a new hook for that Abu Koster ( and split rings)

That lockdown Shrimp Lure....Dang! ?
Cheers Bullet, we are on it, the local anglers, its not the undersize but one took 15 bass that day, met up with a local and he was counting..
Bought some new hooks yesterday.
The "Dang" is patent pending, look out for me on Dragons Den with my whole range of Dang Lures and Floats.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Cheers Bullet, we are on it, the local anglers, its not the undersize but one took 15 bass that day, met up with a local and he was counting..
Bought some new hooks yesterday.
The "Dang" is patent pending, look out for me on Dragons Den with my whole range of Dang Lures and Floats.
That will be interesting about Dragons Den.
As they try and keep a straight face as they say "I'm Out"
If on the other hand you get a deluded " dragon" ,I could be your Oxford area and Northwest area marketing manager, All you would have to do is give me a pm on here. ??

mikench

Reaction score
I knew I was pushing my luck after yesterday and today was very different weather wise being cooler and windier . The breeze was a chilly one too. We set on the same venue as before.

IMG_1280.JPG

I hoped for a carp but to no avail and we both struggled for the first hour until Gordon started to catch skimmers, roach and perch on the float. I persevered with the feeder using a Greys Toreon 11'6" with a feeder with paste and a variety of pellets. I was heading for a blank and to save it I set up my float rod. Ironically I couldn't catch a thing and reverted to the feeder and managed a skimmer. I later managed a couple of perch on the float. My ineptitude didn't help but others were struggling too as the fish were just not feeding. Mind you none of those excuses affected Mr Metronome who managed to catch a very creditable 25 assorted skimmers , roach and perch. Nothing big turned up despite best efforts and we packed up earlier than usual. It was very chilly in the wind so much so that Gordon used his hand warmer. I have located mine in anticipation of cooler weather to follow with sub zero temperatures and snow predicted for the end of the month. So something to look forward to.?

bullet

Reaction score
Spurned on by Mark G's coastal exploits, I decided to head down to the Sea myself this morning.
I was greeted by a lovely flat sea, chilly mist and the bay absolutely stuffed with Brit, the Gulls were having a field day!
What I couldn't see was any activity from target species, but I chucked on my go to topwater lure for this senario, the Patch 100.
After a good few casts, nothing had even looked at it and the Gulls were being a Pita chasing it the whole time so I put on a small fluttery metal instead.
This was soon taken by a Mackerel, which was perfect livebait size, so that went into the bait bucket and plan B was put into operation which involved a large sliding pike bung and a 6/0 circle hook. By now the sun was out and it was warming up nicely.....
IMG_20211014_113833516.jpg

I got the bait out and carried on trying to catch a few more, and it wasn't long before the float had buried and I had a decent Bass in the net.
I had only managed one more bait, and this was also taken swiftly, but unfortunately the Bass nicked it off the hook so that was it for the time being.
I added a couple of feathers above the lure in an attempt to procure more bait and eventually got a couple.
Things were quiet for a while until another Bass ripped off with the bait and this one stuck, putting up a good scrap as always.
That's Supper sorted for a couple of nights....
The Bass and a bait....
IMG_20211014_114607833.jpg

I was hungry now, so wandered back to the van, looking at a bit of Graffiti on the way.....this one caught my eye....
IMG_20211014_131143214.jpg

Possibly very appropriate at the moment......?

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
bb
Spurned on by Mark G's coastal exploits, I decided to head down to the Sea myself this morning.
I was greeted by a lovely flat sea, chilly mist and the bay absolutely stuffed with Brit, the Gulls were having a field day!
What I couldn't see was any activity from target species, but I chucked on my go to topwater lure for this senario, the Patch 100.
After a good few casts, nothing had even looked at it and the Gulls were being a Pita chasing it the whole time so I put on a small fluttery metal instead.
This was soon taken by a Mackerel, which was perfect livebait size, so that went into the bait bucket and plan B was put into operation which involved a large sliding pike bung and a 6/0 circle hook. By now the sun was out and it was warming up nicely.....
View attachment 17488
I got the bait out and carried on trying to catch a few more, and it wasn't long before the float had buried and I had a decent Bass in the net.
I had only managed one more bait, and this was also taken swiftly, but unfortunately the Bass nicked it off the hook so that was it for the time being.
I added a couple of feathers above the lure in an attempt to procure more bait and eventually got a couple.
Things were quiet for a while until another Bass ripped off with the bait and this one stuck, putting up a good scrap as always.
That's Supper sorted for a couple of nights....
The Bass and a bait....
View attachment 17489

I was hungry now, so wandered back to the van, looking at a bit of Graffiti on the way.....this one caught my eye....
View attachment 17490

Possibly very appropriate at the moment......?
When you said inspired by markg, I got worried, I have never inspired anyone :) but well done, nice couple of bass, handsome fish, fight and a meal all in one package, does it get better. And a few mackerel. I even enjoy the mackerel, they took my fluttery metal silver lure as well, they give a good old thump and let you know they are on, little tigers.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mackerel are a truly tasty fish which requires little or no embellishments for flavour; very underrated.
That they are, I like to poach them as fillets in half wine and half water or half vinegar and half water with a little chili powder and a knob of marg or butter. Nice cold as well.

bullet

Reaction score
Under a hot grill for me, with seasoning and a sprinkle of Cayenne pepper.
The Bass I like filleted and fried, skin side down, so nice and crispy.