How did you get on?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Under a hot grill for me, with seasoning and a sprinkle of Cayenne pepper.
The Bass I like filleted and fried, skin side down, so nice and crispy.
I bake the bass in the oven, cleaned with heads off and smothered in something, light oil and herbs or whatever is available, or just plain with nothing, still very nice.
Ditto, the cold smoked mackerel are very nice as well, very good for you.

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Best way of cooking bass or sea bream for me just has to be fish parcels. The fillets are wrapped in foil with a bed of thinly sliced peppers and a topping of spring onion and ginger. Dribble some soy sauce, rice wine and season. Close the parcel and stick in the top of a very hot oven for about 10 minutes.

This is roughly it.......http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/meat-recipes/fish-parcels-with-ginger-spring-onions-recipe/

Add the flavours you like best on fish, it is so easy!

mikench

Reaction score
Hooferinsane that is a lovely photo catching the light perfectly. I meant to say so when I clicked like but like so many things these days, I forgot!?

waldi

Reaction score
Don,t normally have much to report but yesterday was strange.

Fished a small deepish (3-5ft) pool on my local river yesterday. Float rod, pin and loafer.
Single maggot on a size 18 caught a few smallish chub and roach.
Then a shoal of 2-3 lb bream moved in.
Hooked 3 and every one was smashed off the hook by a big pike!

2 more smallish chub landed ok, then another bream.
The bream was again hit by the pike as I bent down to get the net!

Ten seconds trying to hold it then the hook pulled resulting in massive knot of float, shot, hook and an overun on the pin.

Gave up after that and went home :confused:

Might go back tomorrow with tackle more suitable for pike.

flightliner

Reaction score
Two trips out, last friday and wednesday just gone, both on the Trent, first on the tidal with the big guns out for Barbel.
I cant remember last time they were in my hand but tho I fished a noted swim all my efforts were fruitless.
I tried a second time this week on the non tidal section with an old friend who I have the highest regard as an angler.
I kicked off with the first Barbel, a nice fish. On luncheon meat, no double but such a powerful fish.
A long wait then for me but my friends swim came good with some very nice chub—four in total with a very sizable one to top them off.
Two nice Barbel
completed his day and mine ended just on dark with a last gasp Barbel.
I was, nt going to bother with a pik but on a whim I thought why not so my friend did the honours with my phone.
Like I said earlier he's as good as they come on a riverbank when fishing but certainly needs help with taking photos'. ?

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_190116_1.jpg
    IMG_20211013_190116_1.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 66

Philip

Reaction score
My fishing has been very stop / start of late on the river. All sorts of things conspiring against me & despite my best efforts other anglers gatecrashing my swims. One guy even screeching up in his car as I was parking to literally jump out & race to my spot in miles of deserted bank & then have the gall to tell me with a smug smile that he had been watching me fish it. …Crikey if they put in half as much effort finding the fish themselves as following me they would do alright !

Basically I’d had enough, September was wasted & I decided if I was going to get any fishing done in October I would have to change venues to somewhere quieter. Starting from scratch at this time of year is not ideal but I bit the bullet & made few recce trips to a different river. It’s a bit of an enigma this place, the average size here is smaller but it has the habit of throwing up some good ones. I settled on a couple of spots which looked promising & started to bait them. With the conditions looking good I shot down for a quick dabble with Roach the target. Fishing a single rod touch ledgering I hit a good tug early on and felt the thump thump of a good Roach which pulled the scales down to 1lb 8oz..a nice start. Next cast another good tug and I hooked a second fish which stayed deep which is always a good sign. Close in I got a first glimpse and could see it was a very good Roach clearly bigger than the first one so I took it easy. Luck was on my side and the hook held. I knew it was going to be close to 2 but I didn’t realize quite how close - the Electo Samsons settling on 2lb exactly & a scale perfect fish to boot – result! :)

I followed up with another fish of about a pound before I had to leave but I was happy with the result of little more than an hours fishing. With the fish clearly up for it I had to return that evening for a few more casts and managed another Roach of 1lb 8oz plus a small Carp. Hopefully I can bag a few more before the levels come up and they move again.

2lb cracker ..

RoachA.jpg

Same fish with one of the 1lb 8oz fish ...autumn turns up the goods again...

RoachB.JPG

I am skeptical of dead on weights too …but the Samsons remove any doubt....

RoachC.jpg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
With rain forecast for most of next week and tomorrow I needed to cut the lawns and gather the early leaves. However I wanted to go fishing again if only for a few hours after my struggles on Thursday. I arrived at my favourite water and was set up and casting in by nine thirty. The weather was benign with little wind and no rain.

IMG_1296.JPG

I started on the feeder with Cell pellets but drew no interest . I then switched to choc orange wafter slims and had a common of 8lb.

IMG_1295.JPG

A few skimmers followed and I switched to the float and maggot. Dependent on your point of view it was a red letter day .... if you like skimmers that is. I had around 20, mostly swingers but quite a few netters. They ranged from 4oz to a pound. Small skimmers are a rather beautiful fish if you look at them closely and give a good account of themselves on light tackle. Throw in another dozen gudgeon, roach and perch and it was almost a bite a chuck. As I had determined to pack up at 2.00 pm I reverted to the feeder for the last hour and had a mirror of around 3 lb and an F1 of similar size.

I have just finished cutting the lawns and gathered a full wheelie bin of leaves so all in all a productive day.

john step

Reaction score
Not much posted on HDYGO lately as its been much of a muchness. All carped out. The silver fish has been good but mostly small but made up for in numbers.
I have enjoyed the Fosdyke a canal type water featured often by Dave Coster. I am blowed if I can catch fish as big as he does though!

I have a couple of club matches coming up which is outside my comfort zone but it does one good to extend oneself.

Pike will take my attention in a while now the excessive weed has gone from the Witham.

Tight lines. Pete.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Philip - just the best fish - excellent angling! I’ve fished in France on family holidays but mostly for barbel and chub as they are a bit easier. The roach look spectacular and I guess are not really fished for (like the barbel and chub) - have seen seome nice fish on the Vezere and the Dordogne but nothing like that. Hopefully we will be back next year- will bring maggots!

nottskev

Reaction score
I've been continuing to fish for barbel for the last week or so,

np11.jpg

And it's always good to see barbel of this size coming through

npi4.jpg

Today, I had a first go on an irrigation res on the same estate as my woodland pond. I upgraded my ticket after seeing the big bream, carp and barbel being caught. The rules as they stand - minimum line and rod test curve - mean you more or less have to adopt a carping approach. However, the owner plans to give anglers more discretion, and in the meantime, since I don't have bite alarms and all that paraphernalia, I'm using the lighter end of my barbel gear.

np12.jpg

I tried various baits over some groundbait and feed feedered out about 35m out, and with a bomb fished over some loose feed 20m out. I needed something as a bite indicator (even if the fish will pull your rod in, I need s'thing to watch) and I dug out this, a variation on the butt indicator, called, I think, a Sidewinder

np13.jpg

It may be better than watching your rod tip on an Irish lough in a gale, but I wasn't impressed. Trying this and that, feeder and bomb, with bunches of maggots, punched meat or pellet, I'd caught a dozen little perch and a 4oz roach in 4 hours. There was a tree hanging over the water 10m to my left. I took everything off the line - including the sidewinder - except the hook and free-lined a piece of meat there.

np14.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I don't have bite alarms.

how refreshing… Unless you’re going to sleep they are totally unnecessary imo.. expensive waste of money. A penny and a biscuit tin lid will suffice. Or a an old fashioned float. Most baitrunner spools are perfectly audible if you are not wandering off chatting in the next peg!

Reaction score
These days big carp often either pull off hard,or just nod the rod top trying to shake the hook(giving just odd bleeps on their optonics),so if you sat watching you would get them....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
how refreshing… Unless you’re going to sleep they are totally unnecessary imo.. expensive waste of money. A penny and a biscuit tin lid will suffice. Or a an old fashioned float. Most baitrunner spools are perfectly audible if you are not wandering off chatting in the next peg!
Or an original fairy liquid bottle top.