How did you get on?

Reaction score
Went yesterday,against my better judgement,two hard frosts etc,anyway rolled up at about 7.15am four cars in the car park,walked up and wasnt keen on going to the top end knowing anglers might already be in my preferred swims if more than one angler was in each of the cars,anyway opted for a peg that can usually be relied on for a few barbel,as the mist cleared I saw that the rushes on the far bank had died back and took away the cover bertie liked laying beneath,I fished for 4 hours with three chublets to my name and just an odd travelling barbel passing through(a bad sign),midday came and I packed,walked back along the bank and saw three swims with several chub floating about so tackled up a 2bb waggler and had a go,well I had 4 chub between 2-3lbs,several chublets to 12ozs and a couple of nice dace,but those chub,grrr,I lost 4 of the buggers,2 broke me clattering into the Norfolk reeds,one came off,but worst of all the last one cut into the near bank reeds on striking and I lost everything(including an Image balsa chub waggler which arent made now)at 3.45pm,leaving me not bothered to retackle again when the chub were getting ready for their end of day madness,because it is a small river you have no chance of stopping them kiting into these reeds,you have to pull hard and trust to luck....

rayner

Reaction score
Nothing to report after two weeks of struggling. I have only been contacting small roach and perch no bream at all, nothing in the way of bream, not even tiny skimmers.
Had a better day this week with eight skimmers to 2 1/2 lb. with a weak mix of groundbait and worm. The fishery was very quiet I fished in the bowl peg 22 in rose. I don't normally fish the main match lake rose the fish (carp) are too big, there are to my mind more skimmers. Casting is limited with a rope across the water to impede anglers from encroaching past halfway.

bracket

Reaction score
My Lady came up with a cracking idea for Yuletide. She suggested we only buy each other a small present rather than spend a fortune. I have bought her a small bottle of Coco Channel and with the odd few bob left over got myself a Drennen Acolite Plus 15ft rod, which arrived yesterday. This morning I was out for my first visit to the river, at the beginning of the short grayling season, to give it a go. The river was half a foot up but in good nick with a light breeze coming down gate and over your shoulder. Not ideal but OK. I dropped on a 7ft deep peg so slipped on a 7 no 4 stick and a 20 hook plus single red maggot. Second run through and this turned up:
IMG_20211104_081755.jpg

Happy with that. I had a good first 90 minutes taking 10 more grayling and a much better stamp of fish, this being an example.
IMG_20211104_084424.jpg

Things went rather quiet after 2 hours all I had was a decent sea trout and a raft of weed. I wrapped up after 3 hours having put the new rod through it's paces and well satisfied with it. I will be out again on the river tomorrow but with a mind to have a gentle session sat on the box with the Noddy Stick. Pete

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I bet you like the rod Pete. Anyway I decided to go fishing today despite it being 4c and threatening a north wind as the sun was forecast to shine and it did for the most part but it was cold particularly on the float unhooking small roach, skimmers and gudgeon .i started and finished on the feeder and caught 6 carp to 9lb so was happy.

IMG_1442.JPG

There were about Ten fishing and most struggled so I must have done something right for once. All the carp were caught on Cell Pellets and maggots accounted for the dozen or so swingers. I came away when my hands were very cold despite a hand warmer and I had had enough. All the carp were caught in a two hour period this morning and disappeared after lunch.

bracket

Reaction score
Lovely grayling those Pete, I wouldn't mind catching them on any old rod.
markg. If your ever over this neck of the woods only too pleased to take you as a guest. The season's short though, 1st Nov to last day in Feb. Pete

no-one in particular

Reaction score
markg. If your ever over this neck of the woods only too pleased to take you as a guest. The season's short though, 1st Nov to last day in Feb. Pete
Love to Pete, thanks, might take you up on that one day, love those grayling. I might jinx it though, it has been known.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Wednesday I caught the tail end of the recent high water, with the level dropping and the colour dropping out too. The empty car park told me others had judged, rightly as it turned out, that the barbel, having fed for 4 or 5 days of mild weather and extra water, would have their feet up on the sofa watching netflix, or whatever the barbel equivalent is. No bites in the classic creases, but a bait rolled onto slacker sanctuaries found them chillin' there, as our young people would have it.

mar6.jpg

Back at the car, this robin swooped up and demanded food. The bait was no good - luncheon meat and seafood dumbbells; the only thing I could find in the car - he waited while I looked - was a packet of mini cheddars, so I crushed a few up and he seemed to like them.

mar7.jpg

Today, I went on the marina. The higher and dirtier the river, the better it fishes, so I wasn't expecting great things on a clear day after a frosty morning. But this season I've not fished for roach at all, haven't even put up a float rod, and the last time I fished pole was in September, and I fancied some comfortable fishing where you get more than a handful of bites. My patience waiting for big fish is wearing thin as the weather gets colder.

mar.jpg

I've not used a line under 8lb, (and some a lot more!), in months so setting up with 2.5lb reel line, 18 hook to .10, and a few no 8 and 10 shot, I found a) I can't see what I'm doing b) I can't feel what I'm doing either. Eventually, I got my sliding float and olivette - 2g, the lowest weight that will slide every time -sorted and cast into my 12' swim. Here's my no-frills homemade float. The little Middy adapters are cheap - and priceless.

mar 1.jpg

It soon became clear - like the sky and, increasingly, the water - it wouldn't be a red letter day ( what's a red letter?) but with two swims going, hemp and caster out and maggot in, there were some nice roach

mar2.jpg

These Trent roach weigh heavy, chunky and well-fed. And a few nice perch

mar3.jpg

At one point, as I lifted a two ounce perch out, a perch that looked as deep as it was long tried to engulf it at the surface. Phew. It's enough to make you think of taking up lure angling. Maybe not. I kept switching between my two swims, trying this and that, and I was surprised to find more than I thought in the net at the end

mar5.jpg

john step

Reaction score
Kev if that's not a red letter day what is?

Frosty start up on the wolds . No bites on first lake so I moved to the slightly deeper sheltered one. Its a balance with tackle for roach here as one must be strong enough for the inevitable carp.

Anyway mag and wag with a 40+ year old 1st generation carbon match rod to 3lb bottom accounted for a bag of roach (not as big as Kevs!) and 9 interlopers, biggest 10lb+.

One has to be grateful what is available and enjoy them all. Bonus....it stayed dry.

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev if that's not a red letter day what is?

Frosty start up on the wolds . No bites on first lake so I moved to the slightly deeper sheltered one. Its a balance with tackle for roach here as one must be strong enough for the inevitable carp.

Anyway mag and wag with a 40+ year old 1st generation carbon match rod to 3lb bottom accounted for a bag of roach (not as big as Kevs!) and 9 interlopers, biggest 10lb+.

One has to be grateful what is available and enjoy them all. Bonus....it stayed dry.

What rod was that? 1980? I remember I had Bruce and Walker's first carbon rod. And a Sundridge with Kevin Ashurst's name on. A Shakespeare President, maybe? My rod today was only 30 yrs old - a 14' Diaflash. They can't blame us, Pete, for buying throwaway stuff.

john step

Reaction score
What rod was that? 1980? I remember I had Bruce and Walker's first carbon rod. And a Sundridge with Kevin Ashurst's name on. A Shakespeare President, maybe? My rod today was only 30 yrs old - a 14' Diaflash. They can't blame us, Pete, for buying throwaway stuff.
A Chiltern( an own brand ) from the defunct Leslies of Luton. Eleven and a half feet with a spliced tip. It obviously has the sliding reel fittings . Its a bit thicker than modern blanks but very light and superbly versatile.
Whitty I believe knows the products from old posts.

nottskev

Reaction score
A Chiltern( an own brand ) from the defunct Leslies of Luton. Eleven and a half feet with a spliced tip. It obviously has the sliding reel fittings . Its a bit thicker than modern blanks but very light and superbly versatile.
Whitty I believe knows the products from old posts.

Small world. I had a lovely Leslie's Insight 14', built on a Harrison blank. A deluxe rod. What happened to that word? I sold it to a friend, a notorious rod abuser, on the strict condition that he never takes it made-up and keeps it in a bag.

john step

Reaction score
Is that the canal rod,I think silvers has them...
Yes a canal rod. There is a name Dennis Dixon on the blank who I think may gave been the rod builder. Recommended to me by Sam sadly now deceased.

Philip

Reaction score
I am on a bit of a roll at the moment....

The endless rain forecast had not materialized so I shot down the river after Roach. I had modified my baiting which was now in two swims but alternating between baiting one heavy and one light and then fishing the lightly baited one.

First cast I caught a Bream within a few minutes & my confidence rocketed as it was a sign all the bait had been cleared, however, I then sat there cold & biteless for the next hour. As the sun began to set a fish rolled over my spot, then another. Over the next 10mins half a dozen more rolled, they looked like Roach. Suddenly I had a firm tug and hooked a fish but the hook pulled. Reeling in, my bait had twisted round masking the hook point. I cursed my luck, I was sure it had been a good Roach.

With my finish time rapidly approaching, I squeezed every last second, the light was dropping, fish were rolling & I knew there was a chance. Suddenly the line tugged again at my finger and I stuck into a fish. I knew instantly it was a big Roach & it held deep in the pushing current. Alot of leaves and rubbish were coming down including large branches so it was heart in mouth time. The closer it came the heavier it felt then as I got the net ready it made a surge & I saw a flash of red fins as a clonking great Roach thrashed on the surface. Twice more it charged off but thankfully I netted it. It was an angry fish, it had fought angrily and even in the net it continued to thrash about in aggressive style, not your typical Roach ! Laying it on the mat I realized its size, it was way over 2lb. The Electo Samsans settled a fraction over 2lb 8oz a proper whopper ! The camera & flash were back in the car & I was late so I settled on some shots with the phone, not ideal in low light & a little blurry but better than nothing .

I know its easy to think monsters are crawling up the rods but the venue is really not like that. The river is full of little Roach. To put things in perspective I have never seen anyone else catch a fish over a pound here yet of my last 18 Roach, 12 of those have been over a pound with five going a pound and half & three over two pounds. My tactics are clearly singling out the bigger fish which added to a dash of anglers luck makes me very confident at the moment.

2lb 8oz whopper :)

Roach1.jpg

Scales.jpg

Last edited: