How did you get on?

bullet

Reaction score
Couple of hours this morning on a small river which had fined down nicely after being a raging torrent last weekend.
On arrival the height looked spot on and it had a nice bit of colour in it so for once I was fairly optimistic.
I took a pint of maggots and my favourite float rod for this venue, an Acolyte 12ft Carp Waggler.
It turned out I was right to be optimistic, as the Chub were well in the mood and looking in lovely Autumn condition.
IMG_20211106_101119314.jpg

IMG_20211106_112002468.jpg

chevin4

Reaction score
I decided to fish a famous weir pool on the River Lea on Wednesday. It is a difficult venue at the best of times however the drop in water temperature due to a couple of nights of frost would mean the going would be super tough. The river was actually at a nice level but decided that the small bait in this case white maggots teamed with a block end feeder would be the way to go. I switched to paste at dusk but the clearing sky due to a marked drop in temperature made my decision to pack up at 7pm a simple one. The venue has produced huge barbel and chub in the past I did avoid a blank though by catching this wee fella on 3 maggots.IMG_20211103_121546.jpg

Reaction score
Well done Hugh,bet you have caught more barbel than bullheads???

Reaction score
I had 5 in one session on the Ivel when barbel fishing,quite a shock as you often have a few years wait between captures...

xenon

Reaction score
Blimey, really cannot remember the last time I caught a bullhead! Think it was on the Forty Foot Drain in the seventies.

bullet

Reaction score
They've very common in rivers here, I usually get a few in the sample net when doing invertebrate surveys, although I've never hooked one.
From my observations, they make up a considerable part of the diet of Otters.

Badgerale

Reaction score
Tried float fishing a deadbait today, which is a new technique for me, and really enjoyed it. A couple of jack pikes was a decent outcome.

Roving with lures would have probably got me better results but I enjoyed the more relaxed approach a lot more.

john step

Reaction score
Tried float fishing a deadbait today, which is a new technique for me, and really enjoyed it. A couple of jack pikes was a decent outcome.

Roving with lures would have probably got me better results but I enjoyed the more relaxed approach a lot more.
Try it on a really wild windy day with the bait drifting far and wide on a large stillwater. If the bait is mounted horizontally it jigs up and down very enticingly. Very effective.

silvers

Reaction score
Some beautiful fish ... love the roach Philip, but also the Miller’s Thumb!

nearly a week late reporting my latest contest (been on hols ... again). 19 hardy souls turned out for Olney’s tuesday open on the Great Ouse with the first frost of the autumn on the ground.
I thought that the river had a decent colour and level. the early morning mist soon cleared to leave a lovely sunny day (perhaps not so great for the fishing though). I drew a peg in Osborne’s which was around 11ft deep.
i fed two lines ... a close in stick float line with maggot and hemp, and then a line down the middle with firstly ground bait and then loosefed casters. I also pinged a few casters right across.
i didn’t have a single bite down the middle or across ... catching the meagre total I did manage all on the stick float line at about two rods. i had plenty of bites .... tiny bleak and dace on the whip ... but not putting any real weight in the keepnet.
in the last hour I started to get a few small roach and dace on the stick float ... and even managed two reasonable perch (about ten and eight ounces). I also lost another similar sized perch at the net when it shook the hook out ... which may have made a difference!
I ended up with 5 pounds and 5 ounces ... and a banjoeing ... the winner downstream with 7:6 and perennial winner Paul Caton upstream had three ounces more than me. The section winner had 6:1 ... which I might just have had with the lost perch (last cast as well!)
low weight match but nevertheless interesting.

silvers

Reaction score
Yes a canal rod. There is a name Dennis Dixon on the blank who I think may gave been the rod builder. Recommended to me by Sam sadly now deceased.
As Whitty said ... a match angler of some repute...

he was actually from Hertfordshire area and fished at one time with ABC.

silvers

Reaction score
Not that I noticed Alan ... why do you think the perch are so large!!!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
As Whitty said ... a match angler of some repute...

he was actually from Hertfordshire area and fished at one time with ABC.
Thanks very much for that info. Solves a mystery for me.
Now for my Kevin Ashurst and Ivan Marks floats. Only joking.