How did you get on?

nottskev

Reaction score
After a morning chasing up the medical centre and a hospital dept. I was ready for a bit of fresh air. With the weather still and super bright after a frost, there would have been no point going after big fish, so back to the marina where at least I'd catch a few. I wouldn't have long, but there were several things I wanted to try. When I was there on Friday, a fishing friend who lives locally and was out walking his dog watched me fishing well out, and asked why I didn't fish closer. Over the weekend, I'd been looking at a bunch of floats - quite a large bunch - that Gordon (Wetthrough) had given me at Boddington and thinking how nicely they'd go with long rod and pin. Then I've had this pin for a few years and never used it. And I found a bag of wheat in the bait cupboard. I thought I'd go and see how some combination of these would work out.

F6.jpg

Here's my evaluation. I was right to fish 3-4 rods out before my friend butted in. You can catch close in, but smaller fish, and they don't settle on your feed. The place is full of pike and some big perch, and the fish prefer to be in open water rather than having their backs to a wall. Gordon's floats are something else - I've never seen home-made floats with such a finish, and the design is ingenious. The one I used was second smallest in a range of five, sharing the same shape but with different body, tip and loading sizes. It took 6 no 8's and a 10, so I locked it with float stops and used the shot down the line, as it was pretty deep. The float cocks immediately to about 3/8" from the top of the body; the shot take the rest down in slow motion. I've got some new glasses, so I enjoyed watching it. I've been too scared to go to an opticians until lately. One reason I've fished for barbel a lot lately is I can see the bites.

The reel was nice, and I do like its looks. Under 4", it's a cute little thing. I'd have to say, though, compared to the Grey's Bewick which I use in the same way, it's heavy for its size. I can use the Bewick on this rod all day, but today I felt like putting it down now and again. The wheat? Waste of time. I trickled it into a third swim - not a bite. And tried it when I was catching on maggot or caster in two other swims - not a bite.

It was hard work today. There were a few plump roach

F1.jpg

And even though I caught less than last time, three more species turned up, skimmers, chublets and dace.

F2.jpg

Moorhens are among my favourite water birds. They're like the hedge sparrows of the water world, unobtrusive and retiring. They don't usually look to anglers for food, unlike those mallards that get set to race every time you go to throw, but this young one came around looking hopeful and got all the maggots he could eat.

F3.jpg

I was starting to catch a bit better in the caster swim when the light suddenly took a dive. And I remembered I had to get out before the barrier comes down for the night.

F.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
After a word with the bailiff, the recommendation was to try the smallest pond on the venue for bream.
Settled in peg five, a short throw to the island probably around 18 to 20 metres away. I fished at 15 meters. I opted not to feed again just letting my 3 hole cage feeder to feed the swim slowly. 30 odd minutes before I got any sign of fish a big pull that resulted in nothing, I suspected a big liner.
The first fish was at 45 minutes a bream around a pound that slipped the hook at the net. Five minutes later another fish that I pulled out of after a few seconds. I thought that would kill my swim, the very next cast was another bite that also slipped the hook in the swim. Two hours before I had another bite. A carp for the next bite then another long wait. The day ended with two carp and one roach so not very good. I did enjoy my day though.
When all my tackle was away I stood up out of my chair lost my balance to fall back in my chair. the chair slipped on the platform where the back legs slipped off the platform to drop around 4 or 5 inches, I thought that was lucky until I tried to stand, I found it impossible to lift myself. It took over half an hour to eventually stand after spinning on the chair.
I am now needing to try to strengthen my legs before I fish again. I have a recumbent bike that I bought after chatting with Kev that I have not really used, I shall now force myself to use it at least once a day.

mikench

Reaction score
At least you are out and fishing Gary. I’m glad you enjoyed your day despite the mishap at the end. Does your chair have arms? Since the demise of the Korum chair which did I have bought 2 chairs one with and one without. I much prefer the one with. It’s easier to get out of and to recline into particularly on a narrow peg or on an uneven and inclining surface.

rayner

Reaction score
No, Mike, I can not manage with arms in my garden on the outside chairs. I never tried on a fishing chair. I wish I could cope with arms, they would help me to rise. There is no chance I could fish in a chair that is not straight-backed. I had to alter my chair to make it more upright.
I have a side tray that sits on the left leg of my chair also a jig to hold my catapult and rod rest so arms would definitely get in the way.
I can get comfortable fishing with a flat seat and no arms it is just the getting up that I am needing to think about.

mikench

Reaction score
I have all those too Gary and the arms on my Fox Duralite XL do not interfere at all. The back was too prone for my liking so I fitted some bits to make it more upright. I cut a cork in two vertically , cut out a bit from the flat side and stuck them on with insulation tape. It works well and is lasting .

rayner

Reaction score
I have a Matrix accessory chair, I'm happy with the chair. My legs are a different matter. I fastened pieces of PVC pipe with tie wraps to straighten the back a little.

peterjg

Reaction score
Rayner, please be careful. Some chairs have locking back legs to stop them folding and cutting your fingers when you try to push yourself upwards, be careful.

bracket

Reaction score
Fished the river again on Friday. As it's a game river and priority is given to trout and salmon anglers, coarse fishing is only allowed for three months on my club water. The stretch I opted to try was obviously not popular with the game men as access to the bank was mostly inaccessible due to bankside vegetation. I did manage to find one parrot cage peg I could just get my box on, although I couldn't identify where the bank finished and the river began. So no longer being in the first flush of youth, the safe option was the feeder.

IMG_20211105_094659.jpg
I put on a maggot feeder with a 2 oz dead cow as there was heavy weed growth and I didn't want it rolling about. So off we went and I snuggled down with the rod handle resting on my thigh and one hand on the reel, waiting for the first bite, which came after an hour and numerous casts:

IMG_20211105_083227.jpg
Nothing to shout about but welcome all the same. After another inordinate wait I got a second bite:
IMG_20211105_093942.jpg
at which point I decided you can have too much of a good thing and made tracks to the pub. Pete.

nottskev

Reaction score
The legs on my chair are independent of the chair back. it is the back that has been altered. The back legs do lock on the seat.

I've just been looking at pics of the Matrix chair you have. The front legs are 25mm tube, with a plastic cap on the top? Is there any mileage in taking the caps off and putting a tube of slightly smaller diameter inside, with either a right angle bend or a grip of some sort at a suitable height? These would not need to be a fixture, you could have them next to you and drop them in to the front legs when you need them. Feel free to tell me it's a daft idea. I find most fishing chairs too low; the more your backside goes down, relative to your knees, the harder to move your weight forward and get up.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
There was a match on the river Sunday so I had a run down to see how it was going. The river was in good nick, but sadly for the competitors, there was a screaming downgate wind, making things difficult. On a brighter note, the guy fishing one of my preferred pegs, had cleared it all out making it very accessible. So eight o'clock this morning found me stood here:
IMG_20211109_103853.jpg
This peg is around three and a half foot deep and pushing through, with only the odd patch of weed. I put on a 6 no 4 stick float:
IMG_20211109_151844.jpg
with all the lead on the bottom two foot and a 20 hook with red maggot. Second run through got me a small grayling:
IMG_20211109_100307.jpg
and for the next hour I caught steady and a better stamp:
IMG_20211109_100742.jpg

I had a spell of losing fish, changing up to an 18 hook made no difference so I thought "muck or nettles" and stuck on a 16 with double red turned out the grayling weren't hook shy and I continued to catch.
IMG_20211109_100759.jpg

After being stood up for nearly three hours everything began to ache so that was the signal to call it a day. I finished up with 21 fish:- 17 grayling, 3 trout and a salmon parr plus a warm glow. Pete

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Nice work, Pete.
I'm looking forward to getting out for a few Grayling myself, it's been way too high recently but might be ok by the weekend.

bracket

Reaction score
Nice work, Pete.
I'm looking forward to getting out for a few Grayling myself, it's been way too high recently but might be ok by the weekend.
Thanks bullet. We been lucky in the South, had no proper rain for 8 days and the rivers are sock on. Good luck with your graying and if you could direct me to a good grayling hook I would appreciate it. My regular drennen wide gape are letting me down of late. Pete.

flightliner

Reaction score
Thanks bullet. We been lucky in the South, had no proper rain for 8 days and the rivers are sock on. Good luck with your graying and if you could direct me to a good grayling hook I would appreciate it. My regular drennen wide gape are letting me down of late. Pete.

Pete, been using the Drennan wide gapes myself but lost a few nice fish. A friend mentioned the Kamazan B 983 type, give em a try!

Reaction score
I went yesterday,after so much discomfort I went to a local club lake fairly close to home,being a lovely mild day,float fished maggot,had four carp to 6lbs,8 skimmers 1-1lb 8ozs,probably over 8lbs of roach and rudd,and a ludicrous weight of small perch 2-5ozs,I didnt count them,but I was getting two to four a minute for long periods,certainly hundreds of em.... Wildlife,red kites,green woodpeckers and a black squirrel,amongst others...just to add,after getting to the car the pain gave me a torrid time and only really eased again when I went to bed at 10.45pm,still painful now up,but im hopeful of it easing some more before my booster jab,no pain no gain for a days fishing...

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I've just been looking at pics of the Matrix chair you have. The front legs are 25mm tube, with a plastic cap on the top? Is there any mileage in taking the caps off and putting a tube of slightly smaller diameter inside, with either a right angle bend or a grip of some sort at a suitable height? These would not need to be a fixture, you could have them next to you and drop them in to the front legs when you need them. Feel free to tell me it's a daft idea. I find most fishing chairs too low; the more your backside goes down, relative to your knees, the harder to move your weight forward and get up.
You may just have hit on an idea that sounds like it could help Kev. I have a Preston bent arm that with a small alteration I use to hold my catapult.
I could probably use that to grab a hold of to help me raise myself. I can not make the bent arm any higher, even that would give me something to help shift my weight forward.
The main thing that was causing me to struggle was when the back legs slipped off the platform. It is not too bad getting out of my chair, circumstance stopped me hutching forward. I can not believe I never thought of using an appliance I already have.
Thanks for the idea Kev, I will try it out.

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I set off early doors to a pleasant small water which suffers from low water levels in the summer months. With all the recent rain we expected the levels to have risen but alas no.

IMG_1465.JPG

With the reflections on the water and cloudy conditions, I could not see my float so after 15 tiddlers I reverted to the feeder for the rest of the day. Once again Mainline Cell pellets prevailed over corn, meat and expander. I managed 8 carp to around 7lb although one common may have been a little bigger.

IMG_1462.JPG

Gordon caught over 40 small roach on the float but nothing large and was feeling slightly despondent. He reluctantly accepted my offer of a some 6mm cell pellets on a Greys pellet band which he attached to his size 18 hook and had interest almost immediately. He had 2 small but very welcome carp around 2 -3 lb. He isn't converted yet but might just buy some Cell pellets!!!!

Apart from Gordon's company I had the pleasure of this little feller all day. He wasn't a bit phased by me and happily ate the maggots I gave him and he helped himself to micros direct from the box.

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

Charming little birds and utterly fearless. It was a lovely day; mild and not a breath of wind. We both caught and thoroughly enjoyed the outing. Cheers Gordon.