How did you get on?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
A proper red letter day for me today. I had a trip to the River Itchin On the Lower Itchin Fishery. I hadn’t fished it for a couple of years and i have had some good days on there. The last time I went was on an FM fish in. I had a great day. So much so that my shoulder is killing me. I started to keep count but the number of fish I caught was over whelming. I met a few of the Edenbridge club members who I knew from work parties and others who I had bumped into on the bank. One of the guys on the committee organised it and I think everyone caught, some broke their grayling virginity too.

a18fc2bc51744a3ca4dfb60dacd11954.jpg

7443e714ef951f29ba362d6bf07747bc.jpg

69c7d376f82bc6ec21447bfe274d9310.jpg

47dba257fb6ee56654e3397e9ca521ef.jpg

Steve King

Reaction score
(7
A proper red letter day for me today. I had a trip to the River Itchin On the Lower Itchin Fishery. I hadn’t fished it for a couple of years and i have had some good days on there. The last time I went was on an FM fish in. I had a great day. So much so that my shoulder is killing me. I started to keep count but the number of fish I caught was over whelming. I met a few of the Edenbridge club members who I knew from work parties and others who I had bumped into on the bank. One of the guys on the committee organised it and I think everyone caught, some broke their grayling virginity too.

a18fc2bc51744a3ca4dfb60dacd11954.jpg

7443e714ef951f29ba362d6bf07747bc.jpg

69c7d376f82bc6ec21447bfe274d9310.jpg

47dba257fb6ee56654e3397e9ca521ef.jpg
Well done Ray! I’m thoroughly jealous!

flightliner

Reaction score
I witnessed a netting party on a tiny Notts pond the other day. Shaking the nets released a shower of tiny roach and gudgeon that had been caught by their gills and were dead .
I asked the owner who was present if I could take a few as I was fancying a change of specie and the little roach would be ok as bait for Zander, given the ok I put several in a plastic bag and sadly left several others to the seagulls that were gathering oer head to feast on the bonus below.
Today I went to the tidal Trent with my predator gear and settled in a swim that was on a bend wgere the flow was not so fast as immediately above and below.
I rigged up a simple sunken paternoster rig with a single size eight semi barbless treble with a 3"roach attached thro the nose.
Ididnt have to wait long, sat down I saw my rod end knock and the swinging indicator started its stuttering climb skywards.
I have'nt had many zeds but the bites they give are far shyer than any pike and any resistance felt by a zed often results in a dropped bait, so, seeing the activity on my rod I was on it asap and was connected to a lively fish that was giving plenty of headshakes, typical zander stuff and so it was, not a big one, maybe a five at best but it was my target for the day so I was pleased to see it was'nt a pike!
Three hours later another hit my bait, much smaller than the first, maybe two pound at best but, mission accomplished I drove back home happy with my day out.

Attachments

• IMG_20211111_105555.jpg
    IMG_20211111_105555.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 71

seth49

Reaction score
Back on usual pond with Neil today, started on pole fishing maggot over a small amount of ground bait, one decent skimmer some small roach and gudgeon, and that was that, so changed to a bunch of maggots in the margin for a carp, just one caught after a while, plus being pestered with small roach, the carp was a nicely marked mirror.

B00962A3-53CE-4DC7-BF9E-63CA11526FE2.jpeg

maceo

Reaction score
I was just reading AT and one bloke was talking about roping himself and using a spike to descend inaccessible banks like a mountaineer, whilst another was on about chasing river barbel during storms and notes that "all" one needs is the "willpower to go fishing in extreme conditions."

Very admirable I'm sure and each to their own, but I've really only just about got the willpower to walk a couple of hundred yards up the bank. I'm the most timid of pleasure fishermen and at the first hint of rain, wind, hail or other inclement conditions and you'll find me at home with three bars of the fire on rather than anywhere near a river bank. A strict condition I have is that the temperature must be above 10C before I'll consider a session.

Yesterday met all my assorted fussy criteria and realising that there probably won't be too many more days left this season when I can get out, after dropping the wife off at work and the kids at school, I headed down to my usual spot on the upper Thames at Newbridge.

There was nobody about, but as I started to set up, an old boy came along wheeling a trolley load of gear. We had a good chat. He'd fished a match on this stretch on Sunday and won it, but he said most pegs had blanked. He said the river was fishing difficult and that if I got any bites, it was likely to be something good. Most on Sunday hadn't even had a bite. Chub had been caught, but the roach had completely disappeared. They weren't feeding at all he said. He was the chair of the local angling society he said and told me about some of the impressive big fish he'd caught. He asked me how I was going to fish and I said I'd thought to try the waggler first, but he said he thought it was running too fast for that. My idea was to fish the waggler pretty shallow and try and hit some slack water over on the far bank behind a half submerged tree. That's where I'd be if I were a fish.

Anyway, he went off and set up a few pegs upstream. I decided to try the waggler anyway. He was right though - although I could hit the right spot with my cast easily enough each time, it was impossible to prevent a loop of line laying in the water and the current soon dragging the float out and making it act unnaturally. Nothing even touched my maggots in the time I fished it and after not too very long, a little extra gusto on the cast saw that horrible 'float dance' where it's bouncing up and down in the water, but not otherwise moving in the current and I knew I'd hooked a blasted branch. Lost the float, so that was that and I decided to switch to the maggot feeder.

I also decided to switch to fishing the near bank rather than the far side and baited up an area downstream just behind an outgrowth of reeds and bushes. Time went on and nothing. No bites. Bait untouched. The fella from up the bank came down again after a couple of hours and he'd caught nothing either. He was fishing cheese paste and boilies he said. It was all a bit dispiriting and I felt sure I was going to blank. I've had plenty of days like that before down there, especially when the river is fast running and changing from her summer to winter clothes.

As a last minute thought before I'd come out, I went out in the garden and dug up a few worms and decided to give them a go, since absolutely nothing was happening on maggots (or cheese apparently). First one on the hook, with maggots in the feeder and hand feeding a few maggots every so often and eventually after about 3 hours of fishing a first bite! Landed it and it was a nice little perch - maybe about 8 or 10oz. I was just glad to have caught something.

Pressed on in the same manner, maggots in the feeder and worm on the hook and all of a sudden the bites started. After the first perch, I missed a couple of really nice bites and lost my hookbait. The third time however, I nailed him! It was a chub of about 1 1/2lb. I was really delighted. Carried on and caught another perch about the same size as the first, a couple of roach and another chublet. All on worm, except one of the roach. I was surprised about the larger of the roach taking a worm. I wasn't expecting that and it was a first. All my roach before have been on corn or maggot.

Another fella came along and he was spinning for predators, moving along the bank. Had a chat with him too on his way out and back, but he caught nothing either. I suppose it was just luck for me really that I happened to have the day's killer bait with me - simple earthworms out of the garden for a price of £0.00.

Packed up about 3pm when it started getting a bit chilly. It was a difficult day's fishing, but rewarding in the end. I was really pleased I managed to catch a few and especially with the chub.

20211111_153349_resized.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
They say never go back, and I did, but they're right. I don't know anywhere fishing well just now, so I thought I'd give the Old Lake a try. It was a favourite until it got too carpy a couple of years back and I stopped going. I found this pic from November 2018, with a typical mix at that time; plenty of roach, a couple of nice perch and the odd carp

ol3.jpg

Today was breezy, but mild enough, and I sat in the same swim. The pegs on the dam have raised concrete squares and flags at water level - a relic of trout fishery days.
ol.jpg

I set up to fish pole at 8m which I thought would be a comfortable distance with my one good eye - I've got an inflammation problem blurring the other at the moment. With 5'6", a decent depth, at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, I fed hemp, caster and a bit of corn one side, and hemp and maggot the other. I had to pot bait in, which slows you down, but if you picked up a catapult the ducks and geese were on their starting blocks and fighting for your bait. After 2 hours I'd guess I had 30 or so of the smallest roach and perch I've seen for ages for about 2lb. I couldn't come up with anything that improved things, so I put the pole away, put my keepnet on the bank to dry, and set up a feeder rod and chucked a small hybrid feeder to the scarecrow you can see on the left of the pic. That got me a bite every half hour (zzzzzzzz) and four of these

ol1.jpg

It's a short day since the clocks changed, and this was even shorter. I was packed up and gone at 2.30. I hope it was just an off day, or maybe me being out of touch with the place.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Maceo, good lesson about worms. Personally I never go out without worms . Roach especially love them. Even with maggot on the hook, a tiny piece of worm alongside will illicit an extra bite.

Yesterday I fished on the R.Witham with a pole,pinkies and maggot for whatever came along. The most bites came with a piece of redworm on the hook topped by a pinkie to hold it on.
The roach,perch, rudd and the odd dace all came to this cocktail.
An angler about 25 yds upstream had two big tench. November. Jealous or what.

It was very misty all day and although I could hear them I never saw the Typhoons practising. The wildlife, natives and fish are so used to the noise that no one bats an eyelid.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I made a late decision to go on the river today; 12oC, no wind, normal level - why not? I didn't have much time to play with, getting there at 1pm. I wasted the first 45 mins, optimistically dropping into a comfy swim with no walk. Not really a November swim - fast and shallow funnelling under overhanging trees - and if you don't get a bite quickly, they aren't at home. No bites, so I chucked the gear back in the car and headed to another stretch. This one involves a long - for me - sweaty walk through marshy woods, so I took only the bare essentials. It's all nearside stuff, so I took a few little bombs and a tub of swan shot and a small tub of baits. The swim looked great, but the inside line had grown a new snag since I last fished there, how, I don't know as we've had no real flood, and twice I lost the lot in what seemed to be a big underwater branch at right angles to the bank. I had to try and fish further out. I tried holding the rod high to keep the line out of the water, but I soon tired of that, so, having left all the big weights in the car, I added another small bomb to the one on the line. They hung there like the proverbial dog's bollocks, but did the job.

A half hour wait with just a couple of chub raps, and the rod finally went round. This was a great relief as it meant I could go home. Some days, yesterday and today for example, you just know it's going to be hard work for little reward

db1.jpg

john step

Reaction score
A hard day on a small deep reservoir. Water crystal clear and no sign of fish movement. I stuck it until dusk when I had 3 bites and 3 fish.
A good perch not quite big enough to bother the perch challenge, a mirror about 6 ish and an F1.
All on wagglered red worm and red maggots.
Last trip this year there I feel. Mostly moving water now on.

The Runner

Reaction score
just realised its 3 months since i posted a HDYGO... Have been out a handful of times since but had a string of non fishing visitors up here and latterly some rotten weather so outings were much reduced and not a great deal different to report either in venues or fish.
Anyway , had a trip last week to the mainland on Loch Duich , a good bit further along from where I'd fished it in the past, not a bite but far from an ideal tide.
So decided to return there today but to the area I'd previously fished, about half a mile along from Eilean Donan Castle (Short walk, next to road so a far better option than most of the Skye marks where the approaches will be completely waterlogged after the last couple of weeks)
Got there just before low tide, relatively warm and a lovely flat calm day..
Duich 13 11 2.jpeg

Went out about 30 yards on mackerel strip into about 40 ft of water(any further and you're over a massive ledge and gets expensive on tackle). No indications in first half hour so set up lure rod with a Dennett Super Sprat- in that depth almost retrieved it as a jig and straight into fish. First hour produced 4 codling and 4 pollack, all this sort of size, before slowed down as the tide rose
Duich 13 11 1.jpeg
Duich 13 11 3.jpeg

Codling all went back, probably borderline to the size limit of 35cm (that's an 8cm lure in the pic) but the pictured pollack was very deep hooked and half of it has just been eaten. (Fishcaked it with some prawns)
Slowed down dramatically after that, one more pollack and a coalie on the lure gear and a pollack about 2-8, best fish of the day, on squid from the only bite of the day on bait.
Not the best spot locally for wildlife given that you're fishing next to the main road, but a seal or two around and a raven calling on the hill behind me. A Sea Eagle flapped low down along the far side of the loch and later the tourists at Eilean Donan would have had a treat if they were looking up as it spent about twenty minutes circling over the loch in front of the castle. A bit far away for a pic on the phone but never mind, see if you can spot it......
Duich 13 11 4.jpeg

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Nothing to post for the last two weeks or so despite lure fishing on the two reservoirs and the local GUC and even a trip out on a boat with a good mate on Rutland Water last Friday which turned out to be the windiest and wettest for ten days have all resulted in no fish whatsoever.
That changed yesterday though lure fishing along the dam on the bigger reservoir and despite a northerly breeze blowing at the dam I managed to land nine perch to just over a pound by hurling a silver toby type lure as far as I could cast it, wind gusts permitting.

nottskev

Reaction score
I started the last report with never go back. Today I found things can get worse - I couldn't even go back, as a massive new fence now circles the derelict railway sidings and there was no way to get to the banker bridge chub swim on the little local river. I can't imagine why someone has invested in the barrier; it's hard to imagine what a trespasser could do to worsen the scabby, blighted landscape. I had to settle for an upstream swim that looks good but never produces. You can see the fence shining in the background and the bridge arch where the chub live beyond the concrete footbridge

Cd.jpg

This is not your Upper Lea or Lower Itchen. It has a fishable swim, and a fish, as far as I can tell, about every hundred yards, and I gave this swim half an hour with only a little perch. For 20 minutes of that I didn't cast in, just fed a few maggots every couple of minutes to fall under the overhanging tree. So, back in the car and a drive of a mile or so to the next place with a fish-holding swim.

Cd1.jpg

This one, below a footbridge, is best fished from the end of the dead rushes on the far bank, as you can flick your link ledger downstream into a tunnel of trees. But today, even though it's been dry and the river low, the bank behind the rushes was like quicksand - one step and over your knees in mud - so I had to fish from a mass of brambles and briars on the other side, and try to get my bait down past all the branches sticking out. There wasn't enough flow to bring a 2 AAA link ledger back under the nearside trees. I found one of the smallest Drennan Crystal Loafers, about 2" long, in the tub of bits and pieces, and despite the fact I only had a quiver tip rod, I managed to tease it down and lay it on where I could just about spot it through all the foliage. All this got me one bite, and once again I was grateful I could pack up and go home. I do wish there was a good small river nearby. But there is a good big one and I suppose you can't have everything.

Cd2.jpg

john step

Reaction score
Back to The Witham. A different creature from last week. Its gone very clear and with the sunny day today I wasn't that hopeful. It was however a bite a chuck albeit from very small roach.
The Typhoons were doing their thing again and this time I could watch them in the clear sky. Awesome the way they gain height almost vertically.

mikench

Reaction score
You sound as though you are on the mend Alan and I do hope so.?

I have had the pic with the sea eagle under a magnifying glass and think it was really a reed warbler.????

Last edited: