How did you get on?

seth49

Reaction score
Plenty of little egrets on the ribble, only seen one great white egret that was on the river aire nr Skipton in Yorkshire.

seth49

Reaction score
Went on the river Calder in lancashire, trotting for grayling had a nice trout of about a pound and a half in first few casts, then shortly after the river coloured up, and went really dirty and grey looking. Never had another bite after that.
CF0FD84A-19C8-4EE3-9D10-A1FD52DFAF08.jpeg

93CB3CF2-B485-4BA0-89FD-101554DBF634.jpeg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They are getting more common. The other two types of Egret have spread up from the Med in recent years.
I have seen the little egret, there are a lot of them about now in the right places. This was a great white, bigger but still surprising he got that pike down his gullet. I have seen the great white, there are a few on the coast nearby, one I spotted standing in the sea. Cattle egrets, never seen one but they are around now, see them in wildlife films a lot in Africa walking around cattle but now here apparently.

bullet

Reaction score
I've seen the Great Whites down here for a few years, only ever one or two, usually in amongst a load of Littles.

John Aston

Reaction score
Little Egrets are up my way in decent numbers and are now overwintering, which they didn't when they first appeared. I've yet to see other types of egret up here.
I saw a Great Egret twice last year at a certain gravel pit quiet close to you. Big bugger it was too .

sam vimes

Reaction score
I saw a Great Egret twice last year at a certain gravel pit quiet close to you. Big bugger it was too .
I've seen numerous little egrets there but never a big job. On one occasion, there were about 14 littles in the big willow on the island. I've not been lucky enough to see a great anywhere locally.

Keith M

Reaction score
I've seen the Great Whites down here for a few years, only ever one or two, usually in amongst a load of Littles.
When I opened this thread and saw the above post at the top of my page I thought you were talking about the ‘Great Whites’ off the coasts of Australia until I realised you were talking about Birds ?

Keith

fishface1

Reaction score
A number of pairs down here now. Becoming more common every year. Probably not long before someone blames them for the lack of barbel.

Plenty of spoonbill as well, not on the river though.

Reaction score
Went yesterday,with a specific swim in mind,turned up at 8am(a rarely fished swim),on arrival only two cars in the car park,so,a change of plan,straight into the peg I had my 2lb 4oz 8drm roach out of earlier this year,what a mistake,the low clear river was extremely difficult,with very few fish coming out of cover,had 25-30 gudgeon,3 or 4 chublets,quite a few minnows(of which ive never caught on the venue until this autumn/winter)and one foulhooked 6lb+ barbel on a 20 hook 0.12mm bottom,in the tail....the plans of mice and men.

flightliner

Reaction score
Went yesterday,with a specific swim in mind,turned up at 8am(a rarely fished swim),on arrival only two cars in the car park,so,a change of plan,straight into the peg I had my 2lb 4oz 8drm roach out of earlier this year,what a mistake,the low clear river was extremely difficult,with very few fish coming out of cover,had 25-30 gudgeon,3 or 4 chublets,quite a few minnows(of which ive never caught on the venue until this autumn/winter)and one foulhooked 6lb+ barbel on a 20 hook 0.12mm bottom,in the tail....the plans of mice and men.
You're up early Alan!

Reaction score
Coughing in bed Mick,yesterday when I was going fishing I woke at 6.05am,strange the way our body clocks work,I never set an alarm,never needed to and in retirement an alarm can go do one,lol....

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Yesterday I felt the need to be near the river (surprise!). December has been a tough month and just small roach and a few bream taking my baits.

I have tried deadbaiting for pike as the barbel are definitely not playing, but even the pike seem to be tucked away snoozing somewhere!

So I decided to try a swim that would catch the winter sun for a few hours. Heavy frost here would not clear from shaded areas all day, but in the south of France the sun is still powerful even on the years shortest day.

Cregols, low winter sun.jpg

I sunbathed for three hours with the rods as an excuse to be there! :cool:

chevin4

Reaction score
I went for a few hours on Monday to a local pit the conditions were not great for deadbaiting ( high pressure and flat calm). At least the day weather wise was an improvement on Sunday which was raw and foggy most of the day. As expected it was hard going I set up a float paternostered roach on one rod and a float fished eel on the second rod. Lamprey works well on this water but can't seem to get them for love or money at the moment so I guess an eel is the nearest thing being similar in profile at least. Upon casting the paternoster rIg I noticed movement amongst the rushes a rod length out. I wound in the other rod and set the float at 3 foot placed the bait a rod a short distance out. Whilst having a coffee I had a scorching run on the eel as the pike bolted away from the bank and ploughed through Canadian pond weed. After a few anxious moments I landed the fish at 13lb 8oz which turned out to be the only fish of the day although at last knockings I had a dropped run on the paternosted roach.

Attachments

• 20211220_112706.jpg
    20211220_112706.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51

john step

Reaction score
A walk round paradise this morning. A bit foggy and wet but thats no bother.
I belong to a small fishery of 3 pools in stunning countryside. The owner/farmer has made a 4th large deep lake of unknown potential to the few of us who fish there.
Padlocked gates have gone up as a result of mickey takers with quad bikes and mountain bikes and ramblers cutting through his farmyard.
In his Lincolnshire dialect " You old buggers can still fish here and there is no extra charge "
I doubt there are more than 10 allowed to fish . He charges peanuts.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I belong to a small fishery of 3 pools in stunning countryside. The owner/farmer has made a 4th large deep lake of unknown potential to the few of us who fish there.
Padlocked gates have gone up as a result of mickey takers with quad bikes and mountain bikes and ramblers cutting through his farmyard.
In his Lincolnshire dialect " You old buggers can still fish here and there is no extra charge "

That sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
I would have loved to fish today. One of those mild, grey, windless winter days where the water and the sky are hard to separate and the mist and fine drizzle only make it more atmospheric. But I can't see a float just now well enough to fish properly for roach - I like to dot a float - so I walked around the nature reserve at Attenborough. There was one duck I wasn't sure about. Smaller than the mallards, compact, with a bottle green slash at the side of its head, it hovered at the edge of the mallards, coots, tufted ducks etc squabbling over the loose feed. Is it a teal?

teal.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score

The more I read your posts, Pete, not to mention Dave Coster's, the more I think this old bugger is in the wrong county.