How did you get on?

nottskev

Reaction score
Back to the estate lake this afternoon. It was fine and dry, but everything was hard work in the kind of gusting north wind that blows your hat off and takes your rod of the rest

An.jpg

I don't think the fish appreciated it either. Few bites, no carp and a dead feel to the lake. The best fish was the first bite, this sizeable barbel

An1.jpg

But the next three hours produced only three bites, all bream
An2.jpg

An3.jpg

An4.jpg

I was trolleying the gear back to the car with my ears ringing from the wind when a movement in the grass caught my eye. When I stopped, a little bird was scolding me from the tree above. I hope this little dude gets airborne before some predator comes along.

An5.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and i visited a local day ticket water which is on our club card. It's a pleasant venue with few rules and no rigid adherence to any. I chose 2 convenient and adjacent pegs behind our cars but , more importantly behind a hedge and a wind which was already gusting strongly.

IMG_3176.JPG

I started on the feeder, my Hardy Bomb rod. Picking a gap between two Lilly pad beds on the opposite bank and I had a strong take within minutes but the hook pulled. When this happened again a short time after I changed the 4" hook lengths on the hybrid feeders I had chosen. Sadly matters did not improve much and I lost a small common at the net. It was probably ineptitude on my part rather than the hooks. I set up the float rod to try and emulate Gordon and I had a small Rudd first cast. Gordon was catching but bites were few and far between although later in the day he caught a couple of decent common which gave him the satisfying bend in the rod.

The wind would die and then blow like a whirlwind and it changed direction making casting difficult and a little precarious. All in all a non descript kind of day fishing wise but still pleasant nonetheless as we could chat and compare notes. I will not be converting Gordon to the feeder anytime soon and but for the 14 I managed on the float I would have blanked. Gordon had a few more and a better stamp of carp and ide. I did manage 2 or 3 common but they were the tiniest but cutest carp I have ever seen.

Thanks again for your company Gordon which is , perhaps, the most important aspect of a days fishing together. Shame the fish couldn't join in more willingly.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
As our time for leaving France now counts down in hours, I’ve been trying to fit a lifetime’s fishing into daily 2 hour evening sessions, the trout have not played for a while but some good dace have been taking the dry fly in the last week, last night’s
1a53bfd15d53c6396a657cd69847f3e0.jpg

session is likely to be the last from the garden and produced 3 bream the best at 6.12 is I think the best from the garden. It would have been nice to have said Bye Bye with a Barbel, but the fat lady hasn’t sung yet…quite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
Rained through the morning, so it was mid-afternoon when I decided to risk it. Even then I had to put up the umbrella to keep off the last of the downpours. At least, I thought, when it stopped, the conditions were good for the old canal's bigger fish to feed

Ao4.jpg

I fished maggot shallow in front, corn, hemp and caster to the left and expanders to the right. The ide and chublets were as keen as ever

Ao1.jpg

But with the exception of a solitary pretty little mirror, I couldn't get a bite from other species. That's the second time lately, and the friend who joined me on the next peg found the same.

Ao2.jpg

It's the kind of situation where you tell yourself it probably got hammered on Sunday and the fish have seen enough. But I walked by the canal before watching the Forest game, and no-one was fishing. So, plenty of bites, but we were scratching our heads over the disappearing bream, tench and carp.

Ao.jpg

riverman

Reaction score
had a day's fly fishing yesterday.was a lovely lake set in beautiful surroundings up on the north yorkshire moors.managed 3 rainbow trout all taken on a gold head nymph.would probably had more had it not been for a blustery wind and showers.my tutor john was very informative and guided me superbly through the session.i just need to practice my casting a bit more but i'm sure i'll get there eventually. ;)

mikench

Reaction score
Best not to ask me but Gordon will be happy to oblige.😀 It rained , a lot and I foolishly persisted with the feeder in a futile attempt to catch tench.

IMG_3213.JPG

Gordon float fished and found some fish on a very varied assortment of bait either on the bottom, a foot of the bottom or midwater. He had over 30 assorted fish and two decent bream requiring the net. It rained nearly all the time but there was little wind and our brollies kept us dry.

How did I get on you ask ; I blanked. No excuses as I should have switched to the float but in the rain I could not be bothered. Well done Gordon . I still enjoyed the day out and there is always next time.

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
I stole a couple of hours in the evening today, hoping to get some fish on the float. The venue's been struggling in the last few weeks and no one's done that well. Yet again, I struggled, with just the single roach on pellet. Happily, at the last minute I walked back to the car and grabbed the dog biscuits, just in case I had the chance for the odd carp. I had the chance and nailed it! Well chuffed. It's a 17lb 9oz fatty taken on a free lined dog biscuit. It beats my previous best off the top by over a pound, so well worth nipping back to the car!
1654016512812.png

nottskev

Reaction score
After nothing but on the canal yesterday, small fish were off the agenda so I drove across town to the estate lake. I call it the estate lake, and it is on a massive and ancient estate, but it doesn't have the usual estate lake contours, being 6' deep in the edge and 15 in the middle.

Ap.jpg

I was lucky with the weather - it poured down til I arrived around 2pm then stopped. It was still cold enough to warrant plenty of clothes and waterproofs. It was also lucky that I set up a second rod, even though I prefer to fish down the near margin, as it was the pop up on a chod rig cast to the slope to an island 50m away that produced all but one of the fish. Mike sent me a redundant bite alarm a while back - the first and only one I've owned - and this worked fine. Thanks, Mike.

It wasn't exactly frantic. I had 6 bites over 4 hrs, missed one and caught 3 carp and two barbel.

Ap1.jpg

Ap2.jpg

Ap4.jpg

Btw, Mike, the rod in the pic is a Torrix in off-the-peg spec. It's a decent real seat but I've no idea why the metal and rubber knob at the end of the handle. A piece of cork would have looked less absurd. Like this

ap5.jpg

Ap6.jpg

seth49

Reaction score
Woke up to rain at 5am but it looked to be clearing, so I loaded up and set off, it had nearly stopped when I arrived at the fishery, and apart from a few showers wasn’t too bad, on my own today as mick and Neil were busy, had one bank to myself all day, I forgot my rake but it didn’t matter to much, I still caught.

Usual pole tactics with half a worm fished over chopped worm and ground bait, skimmers to start and then the tench turned up, caught steadily through the day, plus I had a 12lb carp take the worm as well, which was fun on size 11 elastic and 4lb line, one of the carpers came to watch and kindly took a photo of me with the fish.

Well I’ve passed last years total of 144 tench, now on 156 so far, next target is 200 which should be possible, I finished with 16 tench, 4 carp and about sixteen silvers, I caught a few more silvers on cockle after I took my keep net out in the afternoon, to fish for the carp in the margins, enjoyable day I’m certainly catching a lot more on the pole now I’m getting used to it.
FFE6448B-C858-4814-AD04-9E87760E5377.jpeg

CB89254F-7E1A-421C-9B40-2938364337B2.jpeg

0F660931-8F5C-4C58-A07A-315E4816CE70.jpeg

ACEA04F8-B52D-4B75-9D9D-7A0171FC8FFB.jpeg

John Aston

Reaction score
A cool dry spring has meant that my early season trout fishing had a slow start , but the longer days have stimulated action, with hatches of olives and mayfly. Sport has been terrific on the river the last fortnight , with 100 plus wild browns and a handful of good grayling of approx.1lb - 1-8 . My day of days was Sunday , when despite a cold northerly and showers, the trout were locked on to mayfly and I was able to target individual fish as I waded slowly upstream . Some tricky casting - see the photo where I had to pitch the fly under the branches with very little room for error. Totally immersive and thrilling fishing and Sunday saw me land 13 brownies , mainly 12oz to 1 -8ish but with one absolutely stunning looking fish of 3lbs exactly (weighed ) . No fish pics - it's important to get these fish back asap to avoid distress .
fairyland.jpg

rye abbey.jpg

john step

Reaction score
Sorry folks. Another carp pic. A low double amongst a total of 7 other assorted sizes. There were 3 other anglers on the 4 lake Wolds complex. Cheek of it that crowding.
I am really into the garish pink wafters at the moment. I hair rig them in 15mm size and they stay on for several fish.

seth49

Reaction score
Usual fishery again as Mick wanted to go, he hasn’t been for a while as he’s been ill, and I thought I’d better fish with him, in case he isn’t well, as it was he fished all day and was ok.

Very sunny and warm in the morning before it clouded over later, usual pole tactics but apart from skimmers and Ide it was hard work in the morning the tench didn’t show till it clouded over, and not in the usual numbers.

Did manage 9 in total plus two carp, the rest of the catch made up of skimmers, not a bad day but not as many as usual.

Had too net a carp for a young lad who was fishing on the next peg, he was with his father and younger brother and they hadn’t a decent sized net between them, so much for the club rule of two nets, one for carp and one for silvers, anyway eventually managed to net it for him after about half an hour, as he only had light elastic on, and he was really struggling to land it .
1E4B30F1-5F3E-4C44-9613-74A10A3F10B6.jpeg

B503672E-27FF-4991-A370-3E602FCC6962.jpeg

wetthrough

Reaction score
A day on a day ticket club concession @mikench and I have fished yesterday. Didn't really mentally prepare for it very well. It's a pool I've fished before (Mike hasn't) the experience was some time ago and the mental notes I made at the time had evaporated. It's a sizeable deep water, about 11' deep at 10M.

GGn_Large_Pool_20220603_142124.jpg

I should have started on the slider and the Greys rod but kicked of with the insert antenna and Garbolino Altima match. Decided to try and keep them on the bottom by groundbait and several pouches of maggots, hemp and caster at the start and no further loose feed. Catching from the outset, ended up with 27 in all, Roach from 3 to around 6oz with two or three hybrids and a single Perch, all except the Perch going to sweetcorn. Tried other baits but sweetcorn was the bait of the day, pellets while getting interest just got nibbled. Things didn't go too badly until the wind picked up and then things got a bit difficult. I'm sorely in need of a longer rod for these deeper water occasions. Afetr much mental wrangling I decided to switch to a slider. It takes me forever to set up a slider and I can pretty much guarantee I'll forget something, which I did, the float adapter and that's after putting the olivette and hook lengths together [groan]. Adding to that I put the wrong olivette on, had to switch to the biggest slider I had, a DJK adjustable 5SSG insert job which was way bigger than needed for the distance - 10M. Not my finest hour. The Garbolino proved to be too soft for striking into a 4.5g olivette and I missed quite a few bites. No sign of anything bigger about despite rumours of Tench and Barbel in the pool. I'll believe it when I see them.

A pleasant day though, nobody else on the pool and just a few spots of rain early and a very brief few spots mid afternoon.