How did you get on?

riverman

Reaction score
Decent session today.finished up with 3 carp 10lb 5oz 9lb 8oz and 8lb 10oz.all on waggler fished mussel with hemp over the top.lost 2 others which shot under the lily pads and took the hook on both occasions.also had 5 roach and 4 rudd on prawn.nice peg and it was nice to watch a teenage lad catch a pb bream 6lb 5oz opposite me.the grin on his face was great to see and when he punched the air made me laugh.😁😁

john step

Reaction score
Decent session today.finished up with 3 carp 10lb 5oz 9lb 8oz and 8lb 10oz.all on waggler fished mussel with hemp over the top.lost 2 others which shot under the lily pads and took the hook on both occasions.also had 5 roach and 4 rudd on prawn.nice peg and it was nice to watch a teenage lad catch a pb bream 6lb 5oz opposite me.the grin on his face was great to see and when he punched the air made me laugh.😁😁
Was this a different day to the one you posted about fishing near lily pads?
I may have read this wrong of course. IF so I apologise but if you went back and fished there again and again lost fish "and took the hook" then that is just not right. I have to call it out.
If memory serves you were going back with 8lb line and a match rod. I suggest this is totally inadequate for fishing next to lilies with carp at that size present. Totally under gunned. Its not right leaving hooks in fish.

riverman

Reaction score
Was this a different day to the one you posted about fishing near lily pads?
I may have read this wrong of course. IF so I apologise but if you went back and fished there again and again lost fish "and took the hook" then that is just not right. I have to call it out.
If memory serves you were going back with 8lb line and a match rod. I suggest this is totally inadequate for fishing next to lilies with carp at that size present. Totally under gunned. Its not right leaving hooks in fish.
Yes my 2nd visit to same peg with lily pads but with a stronger set up this time.hence being able to steer 3 of them out.still lost 2 which shot under the roots and when I tried to guide them out the line gave and the hooks had been taken.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Got to Warrington later than planned so today's fishing was a shorter session . I called round to my mate Collin to see where we would end up .
After a short discussion we dismissed venues that meant a 25 minute trip up the motorway . That left Blundells,Partridge,Greenwood or Dunham Fishery , even Lloyds Meadow was deemed to be to far away.
We decided on Dunham Fishery . Only because we hadn't booked on Partridge and the charge you extra for not booking on .
Anyway we settled on the top two pegs on Copper Beech, I had the one to the right of the corner on the top bank ,Collin had the one to the left of the corner on the right hand side looking up the pool @wetthrough and @mikench will know where I mean ,There is an areator in the corner .
All I had taken with me was my matrix margin pole ,stripped down box and a bag of assorted pellets and some hemp.
I set 3 rigs up , two were ready made ones by PI. All I had to do was shorten the line, both were 4x14 shallow floats , The other was a Maver jigga float set up .
Collin had set up 3 topkits with various pole rigs on them .
Any way I had forgotten my cad pots and ripple bar and pole sock for sections .
I started off baiting the two margins which were around 18" deep. And at 7 metres out in front of me at nearly 4' deep.
Bait for the margins were hemp and softened 2mm micros with a few grains of corn courtesy of Collin , I say softened I did them so I could form them into a ball when pressed together. The bait for out in front ,but I included 4mm durable hooker pellets .
I had a go at the right hand margin with a robin red pellet , a quickstop held it on the hair.Nothing doing , so a change to the front swim was in order. We had a go just feeding hemp, This seemed to work .I was getting bites on both corn and the unable hookers , These were of what we assumed to be newly stocked carp of around 6".
Collin fished 4mm expander and ended up with 3 carp of around 3lb ,a few small stickies and a bream of of around 2lb. I ended up with a few small stockies .
The jigga set up produced nothing.
A hard few hours on what normally is a prolific venue .
A match was held on there a couple of weeks ago and there were a few blanks .
Thinking of taking the grandson somewhere today if he isn't working .
Fir Tree Fishery or Blundells could be the venues.

mikench

Reaction score
It’s been less than prolific of late for reasons I cannot explain. It’s still a nice venue though. Is Colin the guy we have fished with at LM a couple of times?

john step

Reaction score
Yes my 2nd visit to same peg with lily pads but with a stronger set up this time.hence being able to steer 3 of them out.still lost 2 which shot under the roots and when I tried to guide them out the line gave and the hooks had been taken.
Sorry but that was my point. You landed 3 out of 5. Two were left with hooks in. I still say if that happened your tackle was not beefy enough.
I cant say more than that .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
It’s been less than prolific of late for reasons I cannot explain. It’s still a nice venue though. Is Colin the guy we have fished with at LM a couple of times?
Yes ,same guy, when I go to Warrington we meet up either to go fishing or for a mooch round the tackle shops or waters for future visits here's some pics of the swim , mine is facing the rushes . On the same bank that we first fished .my swim
IMG20220831154241.jpg

IMG20220831154324.jpg

Collins swim with all the ducks

riverman

Reaction score
Sorry but that was my point. You landed 3 out of 5. Two were left with hooks in. I still say if that happened your tackle was not beefy enough.
I can't say more than that
strong enough to guide a 10 pounder out. ;)

john step

Reaction score
Just one more post because I doubt you change your stance. 40% of those hooked are swimming with hooks left in them. Thats not acceptable.
All I say is that if you admitted that on many waters including my own you would not be able to fish there anymore.
I will close now as I dont want to get into one of those forum spats.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on usual fishery yesterday, the other two didn’t fancy the syndicate water, so I agreed to join them them there and then mick didn’t turn up, he was waiting for the plumber to turn up, and he didn’t.

there’s still a lot of green algae floating on the water, the peg I fancied looked like a snooker table, so back on the other side which was a lot clearer, very slow fishing after the last few trips, it was blue skies and hot sun all day which doesn’t help.

finished with 1 carp, 2 tench, 1 crucian, 1 barbel, 2 F1s, and the usual skimmers, plenty of fish bubbling in swim early but not many taking, more butterflies about especially speckled woods, and a few red admirals and peacocks, camera still drying in the rice so no photos again.

john step

Reaction score
I fancied something different. I don't usually fish weekends but this last couple of weeks things have conspired against me.

Used my Acy Ultra and hemp/wheat/maggot for about 100 roach. A couple of gate crashers too to 11lb. No snags nearby so all was well. The perch I had would not be eligible to the perch challenge ( understatement).
4 Small lakes to choose from and no one else there.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
A tale of two outings.

A few days ago I spent the afternoon scouting swims on the river Lot. Eventually I found a shallow stretch of river where weed had filled the shallow side that was accessible pushing the minimal flow to the far side. Only about slow walking pace but as much as could be found anywhere after this long summer drought.

So I phoned my friend Alistair to let him know that we could share the swim (why do I keep doing this?)

I set up a carp rod as we have caught them at this stretch before. Alistair turned up an hour later with a couple of barbel rods, wish he would just fish the one in shared swims but it's his way!

Needless to say Alistair quite soon had a screaming run and the fish weeded itself 70 metres downstream. On a Shimano 1.5 TC barbel rod all he could do was keep gentle pressure on the carp until it finally came out on our side of the weed. It put up a decent fight then but was netted at the third attempt. I was surprised his size 8 hook lasted and the carp weighed in at 31 pounds!

IMG_20220902_181700.jpg

This is his second over thirty, the first came from near here - again after I said to him to meet up with me after I had caught four in the previous days!

This morning I was out on my own (matey does not do mornings! ;) ) a few miles downriver. Just four small barbel but I think I could have filled a net with them had I fished sweetcorn or maggots. When the little ones are ravenous I just put on a double 15mm boilie bait in the hope of something better.

IMG_20220905_083204.jpg

A word of warning if anglers think these fish are totally benign, they really do have barbs on their dorsal fin!

This one flipped on its back in the net and the leading "spine" on the dorsal fin got stuck in the material weave. Whilst easing it out I found the barbs on that spine are razor sharp!

Barbel wound.jpg

Not a huge cut but a very clean slice! I washed it out with bottled water and dabbed some antiseptic on it. Might be a small cut but I once had sepsis from a fish bite - not taking any chance now!

Yes! My casting finger....Grrrr! :mad:

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
I grabbed a couple of hours this afternoon. We've got thunderstorms coming this evening and they should have been hitting at 5pm (We're still waiting). so I went with a 2-4pm plan. Not a sausage to be had for 1 hour and 50 minutes, not even a proper bite. Just as I was thinking of giving up, the float buried itself and then took off for a jolly in the middle. I had been hoping for a few tench, but a galivant around the lake attached to a carp made up for the lack of tincas.
A lovely mirror with a single strip of large scales up along the dorsal and took the scales to bang on the money of 10lb. Then the heavens opened...for 30 seconds. I didn't fancy chancing it, so packed up, but kept a box out to snaffle some blackberries for some jam. A half kilo picked and I walked home, expecting to dodge the showers, but alas, we're still dry.
carpywarpy2.jpg
carpywarpy.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
I hadn't been out for a week since meeting up with NottsMichael for an afternoon on the river. We shared a swim and took it in turns to fish. The river was in a dour mood but we managed to each put a few barbel on the bank. Yesterday afternoon I took a chance on dodging the forecast showers, and was lucky enough to stay dry. But a gusting wind thrashing the trees made for a bit of a miserable end-of-summer feel. I'd left the arms for the barrow/chair thing at home, and wheeling it with a grip on the legs isn't a pleasure. I won't do that again.

Bl16.jpg

As usual, the barbel were first to show up, and the first few fish were all alike

Bl20.jpg

Not a sign of a carp though and I wondered if the wind pushing the water in all directions was the reason. I went for a walk right around the lake and stopped to watch in several places, but none showed. It was only when the wind dropped around 5.30 that the odd one began to show, and the last hour saved the day with four taking chunks of popped-up crust or slow-sinking flake

Bl21.jpg

Bl22.jpg

Bl23.jpg
Bl25.jpg

wetthrough

Reaction score
Bit of a catchup.

Friday fished a day ticket club concession. The one where @mikench has been catching all the Tench but decided to fish what's known as the match lake as it's some time since I had.

GG_MatchLake_20220902_143328.jpg

Started quite well from around 7am picking up some reasonable Roach to around 7oz and a skimmer of 1lb+. Looks like it had a close encounter with a cormorant.

GG_Skimmer_20220902_152914.jpg

Went quiet from around 10am which seems par for the course for the venue whichever lake you're on. 20 on the clicker.

Had anglers either side who seemed to fare much the same. Saw maybe three or four Carp landed around the lake so not a busy day for anyone. Did get hooked into a sizeable Mirror which slipped the 16s hook when I showed it the net and one more Skimmer slightly bigger than the first. Nice day weather wise if a little gusty at times fishing a waggler into the wind.

Yesterday/Monday. I'd decided to have a session on the Dam. Got half way there and changed my mind (it's about the same distance) heading for the Bridgewater, another place I haven't fished for a while. Had an early fly past of a very small Kingfisher, always a welcome sight. And a pair of swans with an impressive brood, assuming it's one family.

BWSL_Swans_20220905_150137.jpg

Again started off quite well at around 7am picking up some respectable Roach and what I think is a skimmer but may be mixed parentage.

BWSL_Hybrid_20220905_083833.jpg

Went dead around 10am. Picked up a couple of small Perch the rest being see through Roach fishing about 3" off bottom down the centre. Tried other depths but couldn't find anything better. The far shelf was a bit of a struggle and plenty of things to get caught up in. Did try it several times without any luck. Got to about 3.30 and the air had a feeling of imminent rain. Checked the forecast, less than 5% which is what was forecast earlier. Then it started. Not for long though. By the time I'd got my coat on and recast it had stopped. Toying whether to pack up, all those see through fish had got me a bit dispondent. Decided to have a last chuck at the far shelf with a small ear of sweetcorn. Landed maybe a couple of metres from the far bank. I'd started with a 16s to 3.3lb FC but switched half way through to 18s to 2lb to hook caster. Just my luck that something with a bit of attitude would take the sweetcorn after all those see throughs.

BWSL_Roach_20220905_161247.jpg

I thought it was a hybrid in the net but looking at the picture I'm more inclined to think it's a decent sized Roach (wishful thinking?). Put up a good account of itself anyway, made my day:) 18 on the clicker and that includes the see throughs.

john step

Reaction score
I'd put a silver shilling on a touch of bream in there?
Anyway what about that green grass in your 1st pic. Where was the drought?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Puzzling isn't it. On the way home I passed a field of oil seed rape that was completely black.