How did you get on?

@Clive

Reaction score
I didn't experience any of that on the Evretou and Olympiakas (sp?). I used to see Bulgarians fishing for the pot and occassionally I would offer them a channel catfish. They were grateful and polite. The amount of litter left though was awful and it was obvious that night fishing was regularly being done despite the rules against it.

The biggsst carp I have ever seen was in the Evretou. It was like a black pig.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
River had reached 3.26 a few days ago but it had come down to .42 yesterday so I thought it would be fishable but it was still very high. I could see it had flooded over the flood barrier but I managed it. Two good roach maybe either side of a 1lb, happy with that, not the two pounder I am hoping for but maybe the biggest from this river I have had so far. Both in the bridge swim, I tried the last hour a bit further up looking for some slack and hopefully a chub but they do not seem to be liking the conditions. Drilled bullet and a 10 hook about 12 inches from. Bullet was a remnant in my tackle box from a bygone age, seem to have lost my arsley bombs and most of my split shot so it did the job; casting into the middle and letting it roll round and settling somewhere near the proper bank. . And just watching the line and tip but I did miss a few bites. On reflection it would have been better using a small swim feeder as knowing where the groundbait ends up is difficult in conditions like this, it was pushing quite hard but; I did not have one. I put nearly all of a small loaf and a half pint of maggots in the swim but both roach came on the bread. The new reel worked well with the rod but not too happy with the sliding button anti reverse but I will get used to it, other than that perfect.
P1010543.JPG
P1010542.JPG
P1010539.JPG
P1010550.JPG

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've had two trips to the Hampshire Avon chasing roach this week. I started off with a hemp & caster approach but quickly switched to pinched or punched bread as the former only produced a lot of tiny roach, dace and gudgeon. The change worked a treat with plenty of roach in the 8oz to 12oz range and a few around the 1lb mark.

314201139_10159124569332253_6147232503082193958_n.jpg
314956436_10159124573002253_6591238776188852143_n.jpg
315326456_10159124573597253_7362307361902748137_n.jpg

For Friday's trip, the main river was flooding, pacey and a rich brown colour. So I only took a bucket of blitzed bread and a sliced loaf. The response was almost immediate, and I had a hectic morning. Very positive bites on the float and some quality roach including an Avon special of 2lbs 03oz.

20221118_092747.jpg
20221118_092937.jpg

The afternoon was very different as it went very quiet. But the roach reappeared in the last hour or so. I thought I had another "2" but at 1lbs 13oz it was another special fish. Sorry for the out of focus image, it was taken by a fellow angler with shaky hands!

DSC_4370.JPG

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I've had two trips to the Hampshire Avon chasing roach this week. I started off with a hemp & caster approach but quickly switched to pinched or punched bread as the former only produced a lot of tiny roach, dace and gudgeon. The change worked a treat with plenty of roach in the 8oz to 12oz range and a few around the 1lb mark.

View attachment 24893 View attachment 24895 View attachment 24897

For Friday's trip, the main river was flooding, pacey and a rich brown colour. So I only took a bucket of blitzed bread and a sliced loaf. The response was almost immediate, and I had a hectic morning. Very positive bites on the float and some quality roach including an Avon special of 2lbs 03oz.

View attachment 24899 View attachment 24901

The afternoon was very different as it went very quiet. But the roach reappeared in the last hour or so. I thought I had another "2" but at 1lbs 13oz it was another special fish. Sorry for the out of focus image, it was taken by a fellow angler with shaky hands!

View attachment 24903
What beautiful fish roach are, the detail in those shots is superb! :love:

john step

Reaction score
River had reached 3.26 a few days ago but it had come down to .42 yesterday so I thought it would be fishable but it was still very high. I could see it had flooded over the flood barrier but I managed it. Two good roach maybe either side of a 1lb, happy with that, not the two pounder I am hoping for but maybe the biggest from this river I have had so far. Both in the bridge swim, I tried the last hour a bit further up looking for some slack and hopefully a chub but they do not seem to be liking the conditions. Drilled bullet and a 10 hook about 12 inches from. Bullet was a remnant in my tackle box from a bygone age, seem to have lost my arsley bombs and most of my split shot so it did the job; casting into the middle and letting it roll round and settling somewhere near the proper bank. . And just watching the line and tip but I did miss a few bites. On reflection it would have been better using a small swim feeder as knowing where the groundbait ends up is difficult in conditions like this, it was pushing quite hard but; I did not have one. I put nearly all of a small loaf and a half pint of maggots in the swim but both roach came on the bread. The new reel worked well with the rod but not too happy with the sliding button anti reverse but I will get used to it, other than that perfect.
View attachment 24863View attachment 24865View attachment 24867View attachment 24869
Thats an interesting rod. Old cane? With screw reel fittings. What is it?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Its an old greenheart rod, a lockdown project, I chopped the old wooden handle off, stripped it, oiled and varnished it, new step rings and ferrules and a new cork handle off eBay. Used it ever since, a very good rod for playing fish, bends right through, very forgiving rod like that, unbreakable, when I have snagged it just bends and bends. I have caught all fish, heaviest being chub over 4.5lb so far but great for roach as well. I think it would manage anything up to 5 or 6lb very well. I just like the rod all round, suits the fish I catch and the places I fish, no flash and the "new" reel balances it perfectly. Could be longer though, it ended up 10ft.
Thats an interesting rod. Old cane? With screw reel fittings. What is it?

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Not so much of how did I get on but how I hope to get on .
Off to Warrington tomorrow until Friday , got the ASI seatbox ready and whip and pole ,netbag . Going to have a day on one of the commercials up there . Partridge or Lloyds Meadow are on my radar .Meeting up with a couple of friends in the day for fishing and doing family visits in the evenings ,I fancy going on Cheshire Oaks , only looked round it ,not fished it .

Skoda

Reaction score
Met up with daughter and son-in-law at a NT cottage close to the River Severn in Early November. My wife usually fishes for bits on a small feeder; son-in-law, Simon, is an occasional holiday sea angler and daughter generally accompanies him with a spinner or a float rod. Effectively they are river novices. This required an enormous amount of preparation and much of my own tackle to equip the four of us for six days fishing. The weather was very mild but frequent and heavy showers pestered us most days.
Log.jpg

RiverUp.jpg

The river rose about two feet over the week and made fishing difficult for the ladies as well as dangerous with slippery banks. Nevertheless, they caught dace, perch, gudgeon and the odd “big silvery thing” (roach)to keep their interest but lots of sticks and leaves in the process. Daughter was thrilled to see regular appearances of the kingfishers.

The barbel fishers, me and Simon, fished ledgered luncheon meat hair-rigged to 10lb line; me with my Fox 21/4 tc rod and Simon with my 21/2 tc Greys Prodigy. I blanked on the first day, Simon caught a nice 4lb chub which behaved itself to the net.

Second day we both blanked but the appearance of an otter swimming leisurely through our pegs brightened things up. Third day Simon caught his first ever barbel, a small one of 4lb 8oz, then, a couple of hours later, a massive 10lb 2oz barbel which he struggled with. By the time I arrived he had brought it in too far and was playing it under his rod end! It was difficult to advise him what to do except hang on and let the rod do the work although the clutch was helping slightly. Up on the bank I declared that it was a big bast@*#d and we weighed it. I’ve been fishing for over fifty years and my PB barbel is 9lb 8oz – Oh, cruel fate…
IMG-20221108-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20221108-WA0023.jpg

The rest of the week went in a similar vein, I would catch a 5lb barbel and Simon would catch a 6lb barbel; I would catch a 6lb’er and Simon would catch an 8lb’er! We finished up with 12 between us; me with 5 and Simon with 7 which is a decent result I thought. The kingfishers continued to flash by and the long-tailed tits cavorted through the willows; it was a joy to be on the bank.

The bailiff came down Wednesday; I’d made sure everyone had bought rod licences and membership of the club that owns the fishing rights, so no worries there. One or two other anglers had turned up and I would like to thank one in particular who, upon learning my wife had a pike in her swim (she’d been bitten off twice) and that I had no wire traces (I have always carried a couple with me for forty years, but I couldn’t find them!), very kindly gave me one that he always carried with him. What a guy!
Chuffed.jpg

Jammy Bast@#rd

Andy

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
My how did I go on was a trip to Leigh Tackle and Bait new premises, it's on a small industrial park in the centre of Leigh.
Large unit much larger than the previous premises, even has an upstairs where rods are on display at full lengths .
I bought a couple of pole pots , an Eva sonubaits groundbait bowl .I binned my sensas one that I had for over 20 years , Didn't wash it out last time of using , It had cultures growing on it,
And bargain of the day a Preston Innovations Celcius hoodie , £27.50 down from £65.
Smart enough for leisure wear ,or as a warm layer under a waterproof coat .
The website is still being constructed, but any phone call queries will be sorted , They do mail order as well .
If you are local to it ,pay it a visit, The shop was good ,the unit is better .

seth49

Reaction score
Usual fishery yesterday after deciding to go at last minute, it was very wet and windy the night before and I didn’t fancy it, still when I got up it was warmer with light winds, so loaded the car and went, took a while to get there due to heavy traffic with setting of later.

just one more fishing when I arrived so went for one of the best pegs which was free, decided to fish two tip rods one on alarm with method feeder, and one I would hold with a maggot feeder, slow on maggot feeder just 3 Ide, not much happening till the method feeder rod registered a bite, and after a good scrap I landed a cracking 13lb common carp.

did have a few carp in the margins but no bites of them just a small barbel, fished till dusk with no more bites, so packed up and went home, at least it was dry and fairly mild as well in the afternoon, glad of my heated waistcoat in the morning though, would have been a poor day apart from the carp. Liking the camera on my new samsung phone.
42ADB935-1A14-48BF-AADF-7BAE30B830F5.jpeg
9409A4B9-2D2B-49EB-9EF3-7288C794DAA2.jpeg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My long anticipated trip to the Severn was a damp squib. We were due to meet up and stay a couple of days at Highley to celebrate a friends birthday and get a couple of days barbel fishing in. There had been torrential rain during the preceding days and the river was well over the platforms. I checked the water temperature and it was 7 degrees and pushing through hard. Not the best conditions and to add to the misery the water was absolutely riddled with dead leaves and debris. It did look pretty though.

aab3dc2ad01e926e75264a6c92bc15cc.jpg

The river continued to rise and despite our best efforts all we managed between us were two bootlace eels and a perch that took a plummet.

It poured down all night and the river rose by at least another half metre. After some discussion we agreed to give it a miss today, not least because of the safety aspect.

d594a715fa04e82b8425a9007a1c1fc9.jpg

The river this morning, as we were fishing yesterday a dead swam floated past. We took that as a bad omen. I reckon the eel I caught cost me about £200 per foot. Still we had a good evening in the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve King

Reaction score
It’s a picturesque stretch of the Severn around Highley. It’s fairly local to me and I’ve fished there a few times, but always do better for chub rather than barbel.

Alas it always takes the fishing on the Severn a few days recover after a downpour- it’s all that cold Welsh water!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Last night I checked RiverApp on my phone. The Entragues barrage had let out a lump of water from the Truyer dam.....and the Lot that joins at Entragues had some extra water from the recent rain. That should show downstream, near where I live, about 12 hours later - and I had arranged with the FPO to have a days fishing!

When Alistair and I arrived there was solid water over the weir......

IMG_20221124_131950.jpg

I expected great things with the first real flow for several months, unfortunately the fish decided to be elsewhere!

We fished hard and I eventually got a barbel......
1669320077365.jpg

Good to see some power in the river again.....

Flow!.jpg

Alistair managed a decent bream and a small barbel towards dusk.....

IMG_20221124_172418.jpg

We were relieved to avoid the blank, I reckon the fish must have got lazy over the long, dry summer. Perhaps they have found a backwater to relax in!

Water temperature still quite good at 13c. No sign of us having any serious frosts this coming week, so maybe December will still see the barbel feeding. Will keep trying!

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I tried a venue we like and usually catch at but which suffers badly in summer from a drop in water level. This year it was so bad that fishing was banned until the end of September. We visited it in early October but decided not to fish it. Today it was much improved.

6E9EA3F0-A247-484A-A3B6-CEFC1591A07B.jpeg

As soon as I arrived and set up so did a little friend.

28D6D605-57BE-4B38-8C6F-A2DA7A59D99A.jpeg

as I was feeder fishing I had no maggots to offer but he seemed to like my micros and kept coming back for more. He stayed most of the day.

EACEBF23-6FE3-4BCE-A593-111FE1C4CD72.jpeg

Gordon caught from the off and was actually plumbed up before my first cast. It’s normally my last cast.😉😜. Only kidding Gordon. He had 2 roach before I had made my first cast and the second was a very respectable fish of at least 8oz. I had a feeling it was going to be one of those days but I needn’t have worried. I had 9 carp and 2 roach on the feeder caught on a variety of pellets and maize. This was probably the biggest at around 5 lb.

16843246-3EE5-4266-AAD4-6559888F875D.jpeg

So nothing big but the sun shone and it wasn’t cold. Gordon had a carp mid afternoon and over 20 roach. One of my roach was tiny and I’m still trying to work out how he swallowed an 11mm Robin red pellet. A very enjoyable day and I doubt we will get many more like it until after Christmas. Thank you for your company Gordon and here’s to next week and a few more little fishies.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I decided to have a few hours on the Thames , So loaded the trusty AS1 into the car along with the Shimano Speedcast feeder rod and the 8 metre Acolyte whip.
The back channel where there is an Archimedes Weir at the top end was rushing through and bank high on one side ,The main river on the other side of the bridge was the same .
That left the lock channel , This is like a wide slow moving canal not affected as such by rainfall. It looked as if half of Crufts dog show were out , Must have been dog walker day .
So it was back to the car and home to make a few pole rigs up and catch a bit of the Wales footy match . I wish I had stayed and fished the lock channel .

nottskev

Reaction score
Yesterday I sorted out the "match" gear (for want of a better word) that I last picked up in May before spending the summer after barbel and carp. With an extra 4' on the river and a mild dry day forecast, I knew exactly where I'd like to start roach fishing again. With the water so high, very few swims were accessible, and mine was comfortable but faced the low sun

mar10.jpg

I knew my specs need updating - test booked for December - and between that and the dazzle I was struggling to see my float. I hadn't noticed how out of step with my eyes my glasses had become; barbel bites aren't exactly hard to spot. With about 13' of water a couple of rods out I set up with a 2.5 AAA slider with the bulk set high - about 4' - to give a slow drop.

mar14.jpg

Groundbait goes down well when it's high and coloured and 4 balls with a bit of hemp and caster in brought bites straight away. I had tares in my bag, but forgot about them and in any case I like the perch you catch here on casters. I'd got quite addicted to the buzz of catching big fish, but today was great and reminded me that catching shoal fish on light gear is just as enjoyable. Although I've got a headache from squinting.

Mar12.jpg