How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Or are you saving yourself for next week?
I fished a club fixture today at a fishery in rural Bucks. Fished a 0.75gr pole rig on a match rod..
Gin clear and weedy. Just managed double figures with roach, ide, perch and small tench. Unlike last Thursday, it was cooler and overcast all day.
Also the corn ( which caught me my biggest roach thursday) didn't work today. All they wanted was red maggot?
27lb won it. Follow ups of 21 and 20lb.
10 fished....

How did you get on?

bullet

Reaction score
Had a few hours on the local Carp lakes Thursday evening. Fished a dog biscuit fly over dog biscuits. Had a couple of fish and missed a couple more. They weren't really on the biscuits and very wary, so the presentation had to be just right to tempt them.

nicepix

Reaction score
Forfeited fishing for a weekend away. Both places we camped were on river banks and there were plenty of fish showing but I hadn't packed any tackle this time. Just the camera...........

derwentbob

Reaction score
Had a good day at Aldercar, dozens of pound-ish Ide, a couple of nice roach about 2lb each and about thirty pounds of Tench...unfortunately fifteen two-pound fish not three ten pounders :eek:

Not a carp to be found which is unusual.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Spent a couple of hours watching Neil1970 fishing a backwater off the Colne.
Home for lunch then down the Colne. Fished a long deepish glide with stick float and maggot. I caught some small roach and perch and thoroughly enjoyed a few hours fishing moving water again.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I fished the river idle on open day, saw a few other anglers getting their lines in and one guy I fished near to had a really nice barbel at just over 9lb! As for myself, I pottered about for a few hours giving each swim half an hour to see if I could catch. I had five or six chub to about 3lb but the river idle is currently not too great to be fishing on. Its always got a lot of blanket weed in however the good swims are still easily fishable. At the moment though, the blanket weed is extremely thick and has covered up most of the best swims. Infound about 3 swims between the weed but its nothing special here at the moment. Roll on the next few weeks though, the weed might clear up and the idle should be on top form soon.

neil1970

Reaction score
9.30 til 1.30 on a backwater produced nothing but pulls from small chub.
The time was passed pleasantly chatting to Simon for a few hours and then another mate came and sat with me for a bit.

Morning swim

I then fished from 6 til 10.30 on the Colne and every bait I used was battered by crayfish: paste, meat and boilies :mad:

Still great to be sat by the river.

Evening swim

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Spent yesterday afternoon sorting out some old rods and reels to donate to a school who are running a couple of introductory fishing courses.

Celebrated the Solstice afterwards with an evenings tench fishing. One bite, one beautiful 4lb female.:) Packed up about 10-30, still light enough to see without a torch.

Stu

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It had to happen....

Having had some very good general fishing on Monday/Tuesday I had an exceptional day on Thursday when I landed 25 + roach with the best going 1lb 4ozs although in the main they were around 1/2 to 3/4lb. In addition I had three crucians to around a 11/4lb and some small tench. One of those days when the fish fed from early morning and continued to do until I left at 2pm on a variety of baits but mainly flake although some to fell to hemp and wheat. I lost many fish on the strike (as I became over excited) and missed many 'sail aways' in my haste...

Oh, you're probably still wondering about ' It had to happen'....

Well, I went again on Saturday morning even though I knew it would be a scorcher with little cloud cover. In setting up (in the same swim) I rummaged through my excessive float collection looking for something that little bit lighter that might improve presentation and this little beauty almost jumped out at me !
Yes, I thought, I shall do Mr Venables (of Crabtree fame) proud and give the 6" porcupine quill, complete with crimson tip a little run out and see how it fares. Many a long day has passed since I've fished a float 'top & bottom' and it was a pleasure to see this one slide across the surface before coming to rest in it's upright position. It looked a proper treat sitting in 6' of water just over the top of some small pads and when it slid beneath the surface (eventually!) it was like going back to the late 50's on Finsbury Park lake.

Sad to say the float only disappeared half a dozen times or so, (truth be told the surface line drifting round didn't do a thing for presentation), but it was great fun watching it run across the surface and slowly sink from sight (real 'Crabtree', that!!) to bring another 8" roach to the net!

In the end, and after 5 hours the hot sun got the better of me (I was fed up with trying to protect the back of my hands from burning) and I left for home. Needless to say I shall go back this week,but not necessarily to use the little quill again. It had it's day in the sunshine, but catching fish is sometimes more important than nostalgia particularly when after biggish roach.......

Very enjoyable week though..

ps Needless to say we have loads of the required cloud cover over south Bucks at this moment as I look down the garden, but needless to say I doubt it will last until tomorrow when cloudless skies will be required for the tennis....drat !!!

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
First chance to get out on a river so gave the Arrow a try. Blazing sun very clear water at one point had around a dozen Chub in my swim around the 1-4 lb mark and a solitary Barbel, even loose fed castors spooked them and every hookbait was treated with complete disdain. Finally had two Minnows, one Gudgeon and a Chublet all on the float before moving peg. Trotted castor had a couple more minnows. another Chublet and a Dace before a lovely little Perch about 2lbs finally gave me a reason to wet the landing net, didn't have any scales but it's the biggest I've caught so all things considered, a good day. Any advice on the best way to tackle those Chub would be welcome.

Ian

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I always enjoy reading this thread , makes me want to go fishing , stubbed my tow badly this morning at the gym though , which offsets. Falling of my bike last week.

Neil looks like a lovely place to spend time !

The Runner

Reaction score
Club match on our lake near Wraysbury. Good peg, no 39 on the shallow bank but for some reason the shallow bank and the Island pegs were a bit of a disaster area today with most of the weights from the road bank. Tip only went round once all day, resulting in a coot which had taken a fancy to a hair rigged half prawn..... Only 4 carp for 20 lb something won it ; loads of carp cruising round on the surface but I've never known a lake where it seems so hard to impossible to catch shallow or off the top.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Seeing as some of you have reported today on this thread I'll start a new one next Sunday...

Thames today for 10 Tring anglers who were up for a long walk.
Wallingford near Oxford was the venue. 2 big fields to cross with numerous kissing gates to get barrows through and plenty of fresh cowpats..
The river looked fantastic, coloured and a nice steady flow.
Sounds good doesn't it..?

Set up my Tri-cast 15ft rod and Abu 501 with 5bb stick float and started trotting single maggot on a Kamasan size 20 b611.
The float held up and quivered. Yep bleak no1 of the day. Changed my shot to a bulk of 4bb and droppers which was meant to get the bait down quickly.
Bleak no2. Tried a grain of corn which trotted down unhindered and suddenly buried. I struck and the rod arched round, good fish on?
Bloody pike thrashing about until I finally managed to get it in my small landing net. As they don't count in matches back it went.
7 gruelling hours fishing in hot sunshine, then half an hour wait for the scalesman I weighed in 3lb 15 of bleak, roach, perch and a couple of fit gudgeon.
Winner 13lb 8. 2nd 9lb 8. 3rd 8lb odd.

Busy M40 on the way back didn't help after a long hot day but I'm home now drinking the fridge ..

How did anyone else get on?

nicepix

Reaction score
Thursday evening on the Vienne, blue sky and temp' in the high 20's. Fished the shaded bank next to a lily pad. Put two rods out; one baited with half a mackerel dropped just over the lilies for catfish, and one over a bed of mixed seeds and micro pellets for barbel, Tried home made salmon boilies, pellets and stacked maize on the hook. Not a sniff of a bite on either rod.

Going up to the big lake to try my luck on Tuesday afternoon.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
before a lovely little Perch about 2lbs finally gave me a reason to wet the landing net, didn't have any scales but it's the biggest I've caught so all things considered, a good day. Any advice on the best way to tackle those Chub would be welcome.
A lovely LITTLE Perch? Sounds a very good one indeed. This time of year, have you tried a minnow as bait for the Chub? I've caught a lot of chub over the years on them.

Stu

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Had a great first week of open season down on the River Idle in Retford. Fished 5 out of 7 days of the week with a few friends. Caught loads of chub and barbel between us all and I even set a new chub PB of 5lb exactly. Had a few nice roach too and my friend had a good perch of about 2lb.

Not seen the Idle fish this well at such an early stage, it's a great sign for a great season I think! Going to go down to my local tackle shop and get some bits tomorrow afternoon, I'm heading to a swim I fished all day Saturday from early morning and had 9 barbel of about 4lb-7lb, 5 or 6 chub to 4lb and a couple of 1lb roach. That's easily been the best day so far! On the day I hooked into a barbel of about 11lb and it screamed off downstream and wrapped me around a branch and managed to get off the hook so I had to cut the line. The line on my reel was already low but now I can see the spool through gaps in the line :eek:mg: so I'll spin up some more 6lb or 8lb line so I can get fishing on Monday! Hoping to get the big barbel that eluded me on saturday. :)