PJ will be proud of me!

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

To occupy my time in the forthcoming winter months, I am thinking of making for myself a split cane fishing rod.

That's right chaps - a split cane rod!!!!!!!!

I have discovered a supplier of quality split cane blanks that can supply me with all the other bits and pieces to make myself a two piece 8 foot 6 inch #5 fly rod for a very low cost. This will include a hand stitched rod bag and a hand engraved tube to protect the rod.

All the other fittings will be of the finest, including a nickel silver uplocking reel seat. The rod will of course feature a spare top and nickel silver ferrulesin the finest Hardy tradition.

I hope you wish me luck, as I haven't made a fishing rod in many a year.

captain carrott

Reaction score
you need to go see the quacks again ron your're having trouble with your reasoning abilities again.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Philistine!!!!

/forum/smilies/baring_teeth_smiley.gif

captain carrott

Reaction score
ahem who was it that was pointing out the far superior qualities of carbon over runner bean pole not too many months back. it's that episode it must have addled your brain a bit mate.

you've forgotten all your engineering, either that or the last 30 odd years

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I know that but I want to do this for old times sake.

And I want to prove to the rest of the traditionalist lot that I can make a better fishing rod than Barder et al!

/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

captain carrott

Reaction score
well of course you can use carbon in stead of runner bean pole.

but i suppose we can humour you if it's a trip along memory lane for nostalgic purposes.

C

Colin North, the one and only

I think I'll build myself a 4x4 off roader; lets see, I need to buy a kit, an engine, nuts, bolts, spanners, screwdriver etc.Wait a minute, it might be easier if I get someone else to do it for me and they'll probably do a better job! Hey,Mr Land Rover/Toyota.............

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Ron could you make me a pink one?

Good luck Ron, maybe you should come into the home i work in to show some of them what to do/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gifkeep em busy!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Good luck to you ron,as long as it gives you enjoyment,thats what counts.

I made a promise to myself last year,that when i have achieved what i want to from fishing,i will sell all my modern tackle etc... and buy a cane float road and avon type one.

Sometimes i feel there is too much pressure on anglers to buy the latest this and that etc.... and get out there and catch specimen fish.Perhaps there is something to be said about tradionalist tackle and methods....a return to the simpler things in life.

Good luck again ron.

W

Wolfman Woody

A challenge and a bet - a pound to a pinch of the proverbial it never gets finished. In one years time you'll still have the bits and pieces lying there.

And I say that in the kindest way to make you even more determined to do it. I honestly think you won't, but prove me wrong.

Or better still, save your money.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Go for it Ron, and when it is finished I'll take you to a lovely stretch of the Avon, my treat, where you can try it out in surroundings that will echo the qualities of your rod.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What gets me is that Mark and Jeff don't really know me.

Yet they think they do.

During the period 1972 to 1989, I made hundreds of rods, mainly fly rods. Even in 1959 to 1967, I had a regular demand for my rods.

But lots of us built rods in this time.

W

will spencer

good luck ron.lets have an article or two about that rod from start to finish,including the first fish landed.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

What gets me is that Mark and Jeff don't really know me.

Yet they think they do.

During the period 1972 to 1989, I made hundreds of rods, mainly fly rods. Even in 1959 to 1967, I had a regular demand for my rods.

But lots of us built rods in this time.</blockquote>

I bet I know more of your character and make-up than you might be prepared to accept, Ron. Especially of late. We've yet to see all these stunning pictures you were going to take with the D300, apart from maybe half a dozen.

Back in the 60s and 70s I made a lot of rods, mostly for myself, but ask me now and I just can't be bothered other than for the odd adaptation or repair.

We all get tired and easily bored when we get old. I just bet that this will happen with the rod you want to build, but like I said - PROVE ME WRONG - please! I will be more than happy to congratulate you when it's finished. Honest.

.<blockquote class=quoteheader>will spencer wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>good luck ron.lets have an article or two about that rod from start to finish,including the first fish landed.</blockquote>

Along with pictures! Don't forget.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Adrian (et al.........)

'The road to hellis paved with good intentions.......'

The above should be my motto, because yes, that was one of the(many) plans I had.

A bitlike the ones where I plan to gofishing more, and even the one where I plan to write another article, none of which look like happening at the moment.

By my reckoning I'm still 10 articles short of the magic 250, which was where I planned to give you poor long-suffering souls on FM a rest from my innane ramlings.

'The best laid plans of mice and men' etc. etc.

One thing I can say with some certainty is thatI have absolutely no plans at the moment, and to be honest, would rather not make any more

W

Wolfman Woody

If at first you don't succeed, don't be a sucker, just give up. - Woody 2008.