Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Most roach caught in a day?

Doubt anyone keeps track seriously, but what is the most roach you've caught in a day? I'm going to target them exclusively on a really good silver fish only lake and would like at least 30 in a 5 hour session.

Default Re: Most roach caught in a day?

Not sure I would be bothered about numbers - probably had several hundred in a match or match style session but with 95% under an ounce. They might as well be bleak in that situation.

However, a 10Ib bag of roach is a very good achievement in my opinion and anything over 20Ib would be a red letter day. On the rare occasions i achieved 10Ib + of roach (and it must be over twenty years ago now) most fish were in the 5-8 oz range with maybe a few around the pound mark. Infact i think my best ever roach bag, from the Thames at Kingston, was just under 19Ib.
    Real Ale Alliance

Like Chub says, it needs to be considered in terms of size and weight. Most of my catches are in matches but have had a few days of catching double figures, often from canals, which is a great day.

Witnessed a mate have 100lb plus in the Shannon at Lanesborough fishing 3m to hand.....most fish I think I have ever seen weighed!

But my most memorable roach session was 10 fish for 13lb out of the Tone in Taunton on the stick float.

Yes, quality not quantity.

2or 300 livebait sized roach in a session would easily be eclipsed by half a dozen one pound plus fish.

In April this year I fished a silvers only at Boddington Res. After 6 hours
    I weighed in 18lb 12oz. All roach in the 2-4 oz size on 3m whip and caster.
    I reckon around 90 to 100....

In the early 70’s I weighed in 5lb 12oz of roach from the Loddon – just the two of them............................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

7. Default

I remember fishing on the staffs worcs canal in Stafford at the Hazelstrine bridge in the early 90's with Rod and line, I don't remember my exact set up but basically I was fishing a small float and light line probs in the region of 4 lb to 1.5lb hook length. I was fishing down the middle flicking a few maggots in every cast, I had well over 150 roach most were above 6 oz with the odd few over 12oz.. It was a dream session I was gutted when I had to pack up but enjoyed lifting the keepnet out.. Wow... Wish I'd have had a camera with me. Never had a days fishing like it on the canal since.
    Last edited by Steve2020; 30-06-2014 at 10:21.
    Using Tapatalk

I know a small pond that`s usually teeming with tiny roach, most of them about the size of your thumb. Fishing with a whip you could probably catch 100+ in a few hours. Not sure why you`d want to though.

It`s so bad there that I don`t usually bother taking maggots with me, just bread and corn to target the tench.

For single species hauls I think my record would be about 60 or so gudgeon from the canal.
    Neil (PaSC Assistant Treasurer)
    "Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you. If he does not, why humiliate him?"

Red letter day on the Thames downstream of wallingford last September i must have had over 200 feeding hemp and fishing elderberries in the 6oz to 10oz range in a 10 hr session. No keep net used as i think its unfair to hold fish for a long time. Probably missed another 400 bites as well. It was cast, float cocked 2 seconds and strike all day long. Totally knackered at the end of the day.

about 50 in hour and a half on the canal by me , a match was fished there and from "my peg" a guy weighed in 30lb of silvers , mostly roach , in a match.

Some evenings during the summer for about 45 minutes at the end of day its alive with Perch going for the silvers, its weird like the water is almost boiling.

I think its because the residents throw their spare bread over the fences.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast