Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Source of cheap betaine?

Betaine from bait suppliers (or health stores) seems to be rather expensive. I know it can be had from animal feed suppliers, but I can't find any locally and didn't have much luck with a web search either. Does anyone know a cheap source or contact they can share?
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Default Re: Source of cheap betaine?

Bump. Someone must have some info...
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

TMG is used by the ton in livestock farming, also used in salmon farming

I must need to word my search better. The TMG available seems to be for health supplements and angling, with the usual huge mark-up.

Quote Originally Posted by robtherake View Post
    I must need to word my search better. The TMG available seems to be for health supplements and angling, with the usual huge mark-up.
    Yes its exactly the same organic compound sold by the angling industry - at huge mark-up... I was hinting at where you might be able to obtain it cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    Yes its exactly the same organic compound sold by the angling industry - at huge mark-up... I was hinting at where you might be able to obtain it cheaply.
    Yeah, I got your hint, but unfortunately don't know anyone connected with the farming industry I'll have to ask around locally - there must be someone who knows someone...

I was tempted to suggest beetroot, but wikifying trimethyl glycine yielded this:
    "TMG is an organic osmolyte that occurs in high concentrations (10s of millimolar) in many marine invertebrates, such as crustaceans and molluscs. It serves as a potent appetitive attractant to generalist carnivores such as the predatory sea-slug Pleurobranchaea californica.[5]"

So just whizzing up whatever shellfish the market-stall chap (or the supermarket) has to sell off cheap near the end of the day may well be the budget way forward.

Which saves me from embarrassing myself with a bright red, stain-all, catch-naught "Additive". Which is nice.

Afterthought: Chinese Oyster sauce???
    Last edited by Alan Tyler; 15-07-2014 at 10:33. Reason: Afterthought

Shrimp powder like they sprinkle seaweed in them restaurants
    It's a short life, enjoy every fin

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast