THE CENTRE PIN thread - everything I wanted to know but was too afraid to ask

Reaction score
I have been an angler since I was a kid, yet I have never fished with or been shown how to fish with a centre pin reel.

Well, perhaps it's time to change that.

However, I have a few questions, that may probably seem a bit daft to the well practiced.

1. What characteristics/features should I be looking for in a CP for light trotting a stick float for fish such as roach and dace? Examples of reel types would help illustrate this.
2. If different from above, what characteristics/features should I be looking for in a CP for heavier trotting an avon for larger fish like barbel and chub? Again examples of reel types would illustrate this.
3. What characteristics/features should I be looking for in a CP for fishing a feeder or lead for larger fish like barbel and chub? Again examples of reel types would illustrate this.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The okuma Aventa pro will cover virtually all the requirments you need :w.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Was looking at a TF Gear classic 'pin earlier, any thoughts on this reel? Would be perfect for me as its cheap and I'd use it for trotting for roach, skimmers etc and for light ledgering after chub and small barbel. Might end up using it for fishing for small carp and tench as well as silvers.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was looking at a TF Gear classic 'pin earlier, any thoughts on this reel? Would be perfect for me as its cheap and I'd use it for trotting for roach, skimmers etc and for light ledgering after chub and small barbel. Might end up using it for fishing for small carp and tench as well as silvers.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, :eek:mg:

Reaction score
I think Mark feels that it wouldn't be the best purchase.

I'm afraid I have no intention of disturbing the consensus...the Aventa Pro is the one for me....I've had some fun learning/developing trotting skills with it on the Hampshire Avon....perhaps I'll bring it to the next Dam Flask event Matt...can't do any worse!!

I've also got one of those old Leeds centrepins - used it for close in work with carp/tench...very good (although those of you who are fool enough to regularly read my postings will recall that it has been some time since I had a decent tench!!)...I did try trotting with it a couple of times...not bad at all..but then some kind children bought me the Aventa.......as in "since you asked what I want for my birthday sons.....:)"... .. it was great when they both started working...even if it was just Saturday jobs!

lambert1

Reaction score
I took the advice of others on this forum and asked for the Aventa for Christmas and I love it. I am still very much a beginner, but I honestly think it has improved my trotting no end. I recall that there were some issues with the TFG and the one that Dragon Carp sell, for some owners and the reliability and build quality of the Okuma was deemed to be much better.

Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you benne but no it's not a wind up. Just thought I should educate myself and anyone else whoay cats to look in

On genuinely know fa about CPs.

A lot of Angler's use a pin for barbel fishing on rivers with a lead or feeder. What stops the pull taking line? (Hence ratchet/drag questions)

Also my tackle shops font sell them so I can't handle one at the moment.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you benne but no it's not a wind up. Just thought I should educate myself and anyone else whoay cats to look in

On genuinely know fa about CPs.

A lot of Angler's use a pin for barbel fishing on rivers with a lead or feeder. What stops the pull taking line? (Hence ratchet/drag questions)

Also my tackle shops font sell them so I can't handle one at the moment.

My apologies then

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have an Okuma Raw, it may look a bit futuristic, but it's a dam good quality for the money and it really looks the part on my gloss black rods! ;)

Reaction score
Any chance of clarifying things for me the the characteristics/gestures of the reels rather than just listing reels that you own?

I'm aware there rad lots of different brands and models and there's are good chance that some of you will own some of them.

I'm more interested in how they work and how I choose one for the purpose.