Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default THE CENTRE PIN thread - everything I wanted to know but was too afraid to ask

I have been an angler since I was a kid, yet I have never fished with or been shown how to fish with a centre pin reel.

Well, perhaps it's time to change that.

However, I have a few questions, that may probably seem a bit daft to the well practiced.

1. What characteristics/features should I be looking for in a CP for light trotting a stick float for fish such as roach and dace? Examples of reel types would help illustrate this.
    2. If different from above, what characteristics/features should I be looking for in a CP for heavier trotting an avon for larger fish like barbel and chub? Again examples of reel types would illustrate this.
    3. What characteristics/features should I be looking for in a CP for fishing a feeder or lead for larger fish like barbel and chub? Again examples of reel types would illustrate this.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Default Re: THE CENTRE PIN thread - everything I wanted to know but was too afraid to ask

Probably safer to stick to questions about sausages and pork pies
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

Default Re: THE CENTRE PIN thread - everything I wanted to know but was too afraid to ask

I've never fished with a CP, looks a good thread to me.i've been put off buying one in the past as I wasn't sure the amount of useage warranted the expense
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

The okuma Aventa pro will cover virtually all the requirments you need .

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    The okuma Aventa pro will cover virtually all the requirments you need .
    Yup. Even I've got one. End of.

Was looking at a TF Gear classic 'pin earlier, any thoughts on this reel? Would be perfect for me as its cheap and I'd use it for trotting for roach, skimmers etc and for light ledgering after chub and small barbel. Might end up using it for fishing for small carp and tench as well as silvers.

Quote Originally Posted by cal_sutt View Post
    Was looking at a TF Gear classic 'pin earlier, any thoughts on this reel? Would be perfect for me as its cheap and I'd use it for trotting for roach, skimmers etc and for light ledgering after chub and small barbel. Might end up using it for fishing for small carp and tench as well as silvers.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO,

I think Mark feels that it wouldn't be the best purchase.

I'm afraid I have no intention of disturbing the consensus...the Aventa Pro is the one for me....I've had some fun learning/developing trotting skills with it on the Hampshire Avon....perhaps I'll bring it to the next Dam Flask event Matt...can't do any worse!!

I've also got one of those old Leeds centrepins - used it for close in work with carp/tench...very good (although those of you who are fool enough to regularly read my postings will recall that it has been some time since I had a decent tench!!)...I did try trotting with it a couple of times...not bad at all..but then some kind children bought me the Aventa.......as in "since you asked what I want for my birthday sons.....:-)"... .. it was great when they both started working...even if it was just Saturday jobs!
    He is every other inch a gentleman.

I took the advice of others on this forum and asked for the Aventa for Christmas and I love it. I am still very much a beginner, but I honestly think it has improved my trotting no end. I recall that there were some issues with the TFG and the one that Dragon Carp sell, for some owners and the reliability and build quality of the Okuma was deemed to be much better.
    By the time a man realizes his Father was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong.

Ok thanks for the advice so far chaps.

Does the abenta pro have a ratchet?

Daft question maybe, but does it have a drag?
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast