storing hemp

laguna

Reaction score
What happens when we soak and boil particles?
Most nuts, legumes and seeds contain phytic acids and enzyme inhibitors to keep them from sprouting until nature delivers the sun and rain that enables them to grow.
By soaking, they will take on water and begin to swell, enzyme inhibitors are neutralized, the beneficial enzymes are activated and the nutritional content increases significantly.

Without pre-soaking some particles could swell up inside the fish which is dangerous.

Although the boiling process has a denaturing effect, it is often a necessary step to halt the process of germination. Boiling also helps to soften hard hulls, kills harmful bacteria and makes them safer for the fish to eat.

but;
Although hemp doesn't contain any harmful anti-nutrients, boiling still helps to release oils and split the kernels.

As for oil on top of hemp..., it may exclude air (in the top layer) but remember the seeds now contain water due to the soaking process and will still fester as will coating hemp in oil, it will trap the water inside and left will go rank.... only hemp that has been crushed (which doesnt require soaking or boiling) or hemp prepared with salt will keep longer if coated/stored in oil as will toasted hemp which incidentally smells divine!:w

as a side note (on fish welfare);
I know of nobody that actually does this but its still worth considering that powdered particles, particularly those used in groundbaits (made from various seeds, nuts legumes etc.) should be prepared with water a few hours in advance due to the same anti-nutrients being present. Its because of this that all our groundbaits and method mix are made and supplied - fully hydrolysed and predigested.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Some hemp will split during soaking, 24 to 48 hours, 24 hours being the least i soak mine.

Many anglers throw away the water the hemp is cooked in, best used in your ground bait mix or method mix, if using either. You can make your mix at home with the hemp water, this way your getting the best of both. Your mix is ready when you get to the swim, and, the hemp water adds that little bit of a kick.

aebitim

Reaction score
What happens when we soak and boil particles?
Most nuts, legumes and seeds contain phytic acids and enzyme inhibitors to keep them from sprouting until nature delivers the sun and rain that enables them to grow.
By soaking, they will take on water and begin to swell, enzyme inhibitors are neutralized, the beneficial enzymes are activated and the nutritional content increases significantly.

Without pre-soaking some particles could swell up inside the fish which is dangerous.

Although the boiling process has a denaturing effect, it is often a necessary step to halt the process of germination. Boiling also helps to soften hard hulls, kills harmful bacteria and makes them safer for the fish to eat.

but;
Although hemp doesn't contain any harmful anti-nutrients, boiling still helps to release oils and split the kernels.

As for oil on top of hemp..., it may exclude air (in the top layer) but remember the seeds now contain water due to the soaking process and will still fester as will coating hemp in oil, it will trap the water inside and left will go rank.... only hemp that has been crushed (which doesnt require soaking or boiling) or hemp prepared with salt will keep longer if coated/stored in oil as will toasted hemp which incidentally smells divine!:w

as a side note (on fish welfare);
I know of nobody that actually does this but its still worth considering that powdered particles, particularly those used in groundbaits (made from various seeds, nuts legumes etc.) should be prepared with water a few hours in advance due to the same anti-nutrients being present. Its because of this that all our groundbaits and method mix are made and supplied - fully hydrolysed and predigested. To fester surely hemp would require air, as it is submerged in water with oil on the top it is unlikery to happen, and any gasses released would bubble away, hemp will last for ages in the freezer, might not last forever under oil but we will see as I have just put about a quarter of a pint under oil to see what happens. I have succesfully kept olives in water with oil on top for 3 years, is it only cooked products that are affected by festering?

---------- Post added at 03:55 ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 ----------

Will try again,
To fester surely hemp would require air, as it is submerged in water with oil on the top it is unlikely to happen and any gasses would bubble away, we all know hemp will last for ages in the freezer, might not last forever under oil but we will see as I have just put about a quarter of a pint under oil to see what happens. I have succesfully kept olives in water with oil on top for 3 years, IS it only cooked products that are affected by festering?

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Will try again, To fester surely hemp would require air, as it is submerged in water with oil on the top it is unlikely to happen and any gasses would bubble away, we all know hemp will last for ages in the freezer, might not last forever under oil but we will see as I have just put about a quarter of a pint under oil to see what happens. I have succesfully kept olives in water with oil on top for 3 years, IS it only cooked products that are affected by festering?

The only function that oil serves is to prevent oxidation from the air in the container.

By excluding air from hemp (food) that contains water, you would be establishing ideal anaerobic conditions which actually favour the growth of some types of bacteria. Commercially produced oil-cured olives are first acidified and cured in salt, then preserved and marinated in olive oil.

aebitim

Reaction score
The only function that oil serves is to prevent oxidation from the air in the container.

By excluding air from hemp (food) that contains water, you would be establishing ideal anaerobic conditions which actually favour the growth of some types of bacteria. Commercially produced oil-cured olives are first acidified and cured in salt, then preserved and marinated in olive oil.

We shall see, thousands of years experience verses laguna. Excluding light and cool temperatures are important, using salt toughens olives and beans so generally not used by the contedini, where I learnt this method. Not tried it on hemp before so it will be interesting to find out. How about olives in brine that seem to cope ok in the supermarket, is it the salt that inhibits bacteria etc?

laguna

Reaction score
We shall see, thousands of years experience verses laguna. Excluding light and cool temperatures are important, using salt toughens olives and beans so generally not used by the contedini, where I learnt this method. Not tried it on hemp before so it will be interesting to find out. How about olives in brine that seem to cope ok in the supermarket, is it the salt that inhibits bacteria etc?

Doubt if you wish, try it and see... Laguna have developed products with a natural extended shelf-life of 20+ years, this is not by accident. I try to explain why something does/doesnt work based on fact through the considerable research we do - not supposition or superstition.
Even though it was little understood thousands of years ago (back then bacteria wasn't even known about, let alone understood), it turns out that salt dehydrates bacteria and thus prevents reproduction through simple osmosis. It doesn't kill or remove bacteria as you might think but it does prevent spoilage - putting oil on top does nothing but exclude the air and prevent oxidation.

There's also "salt-loving" bacteria too btw which in the grand scheme of things is probably less or of no concern for anglers wishing to keep a bit of leftover hemp... :wh

Something found here regards preserving olives, your lucky your still alive :D Preservation of vegetables in oil and vinegar | CSIRO

aebitim

Reaction score
Doubt if you wish, try it and see... Laguna have developed products with a natural extended shelf-life of 20+ years, this is not by accident. I try to explain why something does/doesnt work based on fact through the considerable research we do - not supposition or superstition.
Even though it was little understood thousands of years ago (back then bacteria wasn't even known about, let alone understood), it turns out that salt dehydrates bacteria and thus prevents reproduction through simple osmosis. It doesn't kill or remove bacteria as you might think but it does prevent spoilage - putting oil on top does nothing but exclude the air and prevent oxidation.

There's also "salt-loving" bacteria too btw which in the grand scheme of things is probably less or of no concern for anglers wishing to keep a bit of leftover hemp... :wh

Something found here regards preserving olives, your lucky your still alive :D Preservation of vegetables in oil and vinegar | CSIRO

Did you read my post about my olive farming in Italy? Common practice there to store foodstuffs this way, [particulaly wine] still doesnt explain why foodstuffs can be bought preserved in brine in the supermarket. Surely the advantage of using oil is no air gap, probably better than a tin or jar in that respect, though no good if you need to transport the product. Not really interested in preserving in oil and vinegar

davethesax

Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread before coming across this one that seems to have some knowledgeable contributors on hemp.
Recently for the first time I used some cooked hemp for ground baiting and found a lot of it floated resulting bringing most of the ducks on the lake to raid the swim not just of the floaters but diving and cleaning up the stuff on the bottom.:mad:
What makes it float?:confused:

laguna

Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread before coming across this one that seems to have some knowledgeable contributors on hemp.
Recently for the first time I used some cooked hemp for ground baiting and found a lot of it floated resulting bringing most of the ducks on the lake to raid the swim not just of the floaters but diving and cleaning up the stuff on the bottom.:mad:
What makes it float?:confused:
I'm guessing its a home-prepared batch and not out of a tin?
A few things will make it float Dave such as; trapped air - evident if the kernel hasn't split properly, added oil will especially make it float as will hemp stored in oil for a period of time, also fermented hemp (and other light-weight particles) may float due to the CO2 content which is a natural product of fermentation.

davethesax

Reaction score
I'm guessing its a home-prepared batch and not out of a tin?
A few things will make it float Dave such as; trapped air - evident if the kernel hasn't split properly, added oil will especially make it float as will hemp stored in oil for a period of time, also fermented hemp (and other light-weight particles) may float due to the CO2 content which is a natural product of fermentation.

Thanks Chris. Bought the stuff from local tackle shop. Won’t buy the stuff again from them, but apart from sticking the place out by cooking it at home I guess it’s trying different shops until I find a good supplier

nicepix

Reaction score
It helps to soak it for 24 hours before cooking. And I find that some hemp needs a lot more than the 30 minutes cooking time stated in some articles.

If you pre-soak it then simmer it until most of the seeds are split, turn off the heat and put a lid on it should be OK for the following morning. Then you can skim off any floaters, drain the seeds and bag them up for the freezer.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I have had hemp dry out in the bait box (or in the groundbait mix) on hot days and this causes it to float. Important to keep it wet.

But with groundbait mixes its not so simple as a relatively dry crumbly mix might be what you are after. Just have to keep an eye on it and keep turning the stuff at the top to deeper down - or mix smaller amounts at a time.

davethesax

Reaction score
It helps to soak it for 24 hours before cooking. And I find that some hemp needs a lot more than the 30 minutes cooking time stated in some articles.

If you pre-soak it then simmer it until most of the seeds are split, turn off the heat and put a lid on it should be OK for the following morning. Then you can skim off any floaters, drain the seeds and bag them up for the freezer.[/QUO

:cool: Thank you very much for your advice

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

I have had hemp dry out in the bait box (or in the groundbait mix) on hot days and this causes it to float. Important to keep it wet.

But with groundbait mixes its not so simple as a relatively dry crumbly mix might be what you are after. Just have to keep an eye on it and keep turning the stuff at the top to deeper down - or mix smaller amounts at a time.

:cool:Thank you very much for your advice