storing hemp

laguna

Reaction score
Great if your hemp was toasted M'lud but if it was just soaked as usual it will still fester due to the water content. :(

Reaction score
House opposite us has clearly been used for "storing" hemp. Twice now, when it must have been just ready for us fisher folk, the GMP Tactical Angling Club have come round and taken it all for themselves. Al I can say is Grr!

aebitim

Reaction score
Dont give up so easily, people have been storing foodstuffs under oil since the begining of time, the oil acts as a barrier isolating the stored product from the gasses required for fermentation. Do you buy your wet hemp in a tin?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but are we talking about what do with cooked hemp after a session ?
If we are then why not stick it in the freezer which is what I do, and have done so, for donkeys years...

All my hemp is home cooked and after cooling placed in suitable sandwich bags and stored in my section of the freezer...I take out one or two bags the evening before and it's ready to go next morning! After the session leftovers are re frozen, sometimes several times without any ill effects..

As I say, I may well be missing something...

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but are we talking about what do with cooked hemp after a session ?
If we are then why not stick it in the freezer which is what I do, and have done so, for donkeys years...

All my hemp is home cooked and after cooling placed in suitable sandwich bags and stored in my section of the freezer...I take out one or two bags the evening before and it's ready to go next morning! After the session leftovers are re frozen, sometimes several times without any ill effects..

As I say, I may well be missing something...

That's what I do too. Make a big batch, split it into portions and freeze it.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Cook my own also, you can also add flavours to it when cooking, or add the flavour to the bag after cooking. Put your flavour in the bag, add the hemp, good shake, then Freeze.

You can store hemp without freezing, put you will need air tight jar or tins. Thats why you an buy it in jars from the tackle shops.

Forgot to add, when you put the flavour and hemp in the bag, you need to blow into the bag like a ballon, twist the bag when it has the air in it, shake, then let the air out and freeze.

aebitim

Reaction score
In the past I've frozen leftover hemp seeds but I'm thinking if putting them in a jar and covering them in oil. Anyone tried this

Thought about this a bit more and think it might be worth a go, not so much as a novel way to store hempseed but a way to flavour it, chunks of whatever in the liquid, veg oil on top drain the liquid into the groundbait when the time comes. Many thanks for the idea your lordship.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
aebitim.......but isn't veg oil going to 'separate' once in water and want to float (in theory) to the surface ?
Perhaps, once mixed in with the groundbait, this wouldn't happen but I can just imagine little pools of oil floating on the surface...........................(that's a question!).

For the life of me I still cannot see why oil needs to come into the equasion at all - as Ray Daywalker Clarke says, put in it a airtight jar , in a cool place and this should do the trick - for a while at least !

I cannot begin to imagine trying to spray oil covered hemp into a swim, (especially when the catapult misfires and seeds go everywhere). Sounds dead messy to me..............

Someone will put me right though.............................................

aebitim

Reaction score
aebitim.......but isn't veg oil going to 'separate' once in water and want to float (in theory) to the surface ?
Perhaps, once mixed in with the groundbait, this wouldn't happen but I can just imagine little pools of oil floating on the surface...........................(that's a question!).

For the life of me I still cannot see why oil needs to come into the equasion at all - as Ray Daywalker Clarke says, put in it a airtight jar , in a cool place and this should do the trick - for a while at least !

I cannot begin to imagine trying to spray oil covered hemp into a swim, (especially when the catapult misfires and seeds go everywhere). Sounds dead messy to me..............

Someone will put me right though.............................................

The whole idea of the oil is that it floats on the top [the hemp needs to be covered by water] forming an airtight barrier, there is no airgap between the oil and the liquid [this technique has been used for thousands of years]. A milk bottle would be a good recepticle to use as the body is wide enough to store a pint of hemp and the neck is narrow enough to be sealed by a tablespoon of oil. Hemp oil, for instance, is a readily available additive so a little oil in the groundbait might not be such a disaster. As the hemp doesnt come into contact with the oil I cant see there being a problem with the catty.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Tee Cee,

I know what you mean about the oil, and many anglers add flavoured oils to their mixes.

Hemp oil will be just fine, it also adds a kick to the hemp and ground bait, thats why many anglers use the water from cooking the hemp to mix their ground bait.

The late Fred Grouch also used uncooked hemp, and it works very well. He would soak it as normal, and thats it, ready to use. Hemp doesn't cook in the wild, so why cook the goodness out of it, uncooked it is also natural.

I also use uncooked hemp as i saw Fred's results using it, i also use cooked hemp.

nicepix

Reaction score
Cook my own also, you can also add flavours to it when cooking, or add the flavour to the bag after cooking. Put your flavour in the bag, add the hemp, good shake, then Freeze.

You can store hemp without freezing, put you will need air tight jar or tins. Thats why you an buy it in jars from the tackle shops.

Forgot to add, when you put the flavour and hemp in the bag, you need to blow into the bag like a ballon, twist the bag when it has the air in it, shake, then let the air out and freeze.

"Mi'lud. My client instructs me that he was simply following a recipe on a Fishing Forum when he inadvertently sucked instead of blowing just before the officers broke down his door and arrested him."

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Ray and aebitim................Thanks for the explanatory posts. I follow your reasoning(s) and take it on board..

Always good to learn something new..

bigfish74

Reaction score
Iv litteraly picked up 5kilo ready prepped today for a tenner frozen whats left after tbe next barbel session will be back in the freezer simples although i left some in the garave for a few days after cooking the other week when it was warm and it was a bit pungent in the morning still worked a treat though

Andy