Wear a HAT - at all times !!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've just read another Thread where an angler said he went out fishing, sat in the sun and consequently got a sunburnt head ( probably with little or no hair ?)

It really needs to be said, that regardless of how much hair you have on your head it is absolutely crucial to wear a hat at ALL times - NOT only when the sun is out, or when the temperature is very high, or if it is cloudy, BUT AT ALL TIMES !!

I will not bore you with family history around this subject, or relate terrible stories (I've seen some of them!!) of skin cancer, particularly in Australia, but anyone who sits and fishes without a hat is really asking for trouble.
I wish we (in this country) would adopt the Aussie motto of ' SLIP, SLOP SLAP'............SLIP on a shirt, SLOP on the sunscreen, SLAP on a hat, which now covers not only Australia but the Globe. Unfortunately, we in this country don't seem to get it, judging by the countless numbers of people, not only anglers, who walk/sit in hot sun without a thought - or a hat !!

Anyway, that's my moan, but I repeat again, PLEASE, PLEASE wear some form of head gear, preferably with a wide brim (to protect the face) EVERYTIME YOU SIT AND FISH, be it in sun or total cloud - the danger is the same even if the sun is not out !!!

ps....As I occasionally end up sitting in the sun (for short periods) when fishing I also carry a pair of light fingerless gloves (Yes, it sounds OTT!) to protect the backs of my hands when holding the rod for long periods and the hands are exposed to constant sunshine....This I did after my GP noticed how brown my hands were......................sounds amusing, but no joke !!

pps No, I'm not a doctor, I just read a great deal...................................

Last edited:
B

binka

With you on the hat Tee-Cee, I never leave home without my old faithful Rogue and feel lost without it.

I have to admit though that my arms and backs of my hands look like they belong to someone else because they're so much darker than everywhere else, I used to fish hatless up until around ten years ago and wonder now how I managed it on some of the hot days we've been having recently.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sound advice!

A few weeks ago on a reasonably warm and sunny day we were on the Hampshire Avon and I was wearing a typical baseball style cap.

When driving home in the early evening the tops of my ears were stinging a fair bit, but I took no notice.

The next morning the stinging was still there and I was very surprised to discover large blisters on the tops of both ears that were unprotected by the baseball cap.

The following week were were at Marsh Farm for the day, and it was a real scorcher, but that day I reverted to my old wide brimmed hat and had no problems at all despite it being actually hotter and sunnier than the day on the river.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Sound advice!

A few weeks ago on a reasonably warm and sunny day we were on the Hampshire Avon and I was wearing a typical baseball style cap.

When driving home in the early evening the tops of my ears were stinging a fair bit, but I took no notice.

The next morning the stinging was still there and I was very surprised to discover large blisters on the tops of both ears that were unprotected by the baseball cap.

The following week were were at Marsh Farm for the day, and it was a real scorcher, but that day I reverted to my old wide brimmed hat and had no problems at all despite it being actually hotter and sunnier than the day on the river.

See, that's why I have long(ish) hair Peter - wore a baseball hat and didn't need to use sun screen on my ears at Marsh Farm..;)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Wore a hat for as long as I can remember. As a young fella I wore a Trilby, which went hand in glove with the use of polarized glasses, so essential for stalking Chub and Barbel on several of the Yorkshire rivers. But for some unknown reason,''well I can't remember'' I progressed onto the baseball cap. It still does the primary job though with the large peak, shielding the polarized glasses. Needless to say, I still prefer to stalk 'em.

sumtime

Reaction score
It's a must, always wear a hat, if I use the baseball, I cover parts of my head with suncream giving special attention to ears and my neck. I wear a brimmed hat if the sun is beating down, I must have about fifteen different types of headgear.

dead peg

Reaction score
I used to wear a baseball cap but as said it doesnt offer much protection so I got myself a Craghoppers sun hat .Its ideal , lightweight with a wide brim and Nosilife protection (from mosquitoes)

geoff66

Reaction score
wide brimmed hat lives in my bag wont go fishing without it
its as important to me as my disgorgers ( learnt the hard way )

symonh2000

Reaction score
I get sunburn really badly, and I won't go fishing without a hat.

However the other week I was at Silverstone for the British Grand prix, and I forgot the hat.

You can guess what happened...

Burned ears, face and Panda eyes from my sunglasses.

A hat whilst fishing also gives some protection against hooks, especially if you are spinning or fly fishing.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
As I am a Strawberry Blonde, (OK Ginger) I always take care in the sun, if not i burn.

Hat always, but must say, i never cover my hands in the sun.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Me neither, I just put factor 30 on 'em ..........................;)
PS Tony, why do go to all these precautions? - you're there and back before the sun comes up...........:)

terry m

Reaction score
Completely agree. For me the result is a blinding headache, bordering on heat stroke. The trusty old Rogue has been a fishing companion for many many years, it is looking tired these days, but that adds to the character of a leather hat I think.

sumtime

Reaction score
Yer right there about reflection, many a time I've returned home with a reddened face when it hasn't been that warm.

bigfish74

Reaction score
i have a 5 inch scar that says cover everything long sleeved t-shirts dont make you hot if one scar aint enough my little sis has three please take care

andy

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I get sunburn really badly, and I won't go fishing without a hat.

However the other week I was at Silverstone for the British Grand prix, and I forgot the hat.

I was at the GP too and had to buy a hat there, I had returned from Asia a few days earlier and left my hat on the plane:eek:mg: not the first time either, between planes and rental cars I've lost several hats and a good pair of sunglasses.

As I have no hair I wear a hat pretty much all year round, between a baseball cap and a beanie when it's cold. Learnt the lesson a long time ago after getting the old head badly burnt, far from fun. Mind you a few weeks back I did get the old lugs burnt a little, not too bad but perhaps I should think about a full brim for the fishing

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, definitely a wide brim hat IMHO.....As some have said, the ears can still get burnt with a baseball type cap, and very quickly !

A wide brim does just about the best job as it offers SOME protection to the very vulnerable areas such as neck and nose, in addition to the head, and minimal cover to other parts of the face as well.

Obviously a decent wide brim will cost, but for what it does in safeguarding your health I personally look upon it as a necessary' investment' .......

I use Tilley hats which last a lifetime and who offer a 'replacement' guarantee should it wear out. They replaced one of mine after some years without a quibble.

Anyway, from what I've read on here I hope others, who don't always wear a hat, have got the message - WEAR A HAT AT ALL TIMES - you know it makes sense !!!

.....and so ends the 'lecture' ..

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've always used baseball caps but have allways had my ears burnt ! I recently got a ESP bucket hat that covers my ears for those sunny days. I was even thinking of investing in one of the baseball type hats that have a soft cloth peice atatched that hangs round the ears and neck (foreign legion type hats) for those days when the sun is relentless...but then I changed my mind and though may be i'll just give it a miss on such days. In fact i've done just that for the last few weeks, I just couldn't cope with the uncomfortable feeling of being in the sun just to catch a fish.