What have you got - reels

The bad one

Reaction score
All my Okumas are the Epix range now, so can't say about the carbos, other than I've never had a bad model from when they were first introduced to the UK. The last 2 I bought, about 15 months ago, were Epix 55s V2 and fully expect to get the same sort of service out of them that I got from the Epix 40 pros about 10 years hard use of dragging 3-5 oz feeders, fish and weed back across the Ribble. The 40 pros are still in reasonably good service but retired for general pleasure tipping on stillwaters.

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

PS if anyone is looking at Epix V2s in the 40 range they are not the same spool size as the 40 Pros or any of the old 40 ranges. They are the equivalent of the pro 30s and old 30 ranges and a much smaller spooled reel. They are a tiny baitrunner type and great if you are looking at a baitrunner type for float fishing or sort distance tip work. But above that they would not be so good.

ken more

Reaction score
Still got my first ever multiplier, a Mitchel 602ap and a metal spool for boat fishing. Had a few birds nests to start with but became very efficient in the long run. Must be 30 odd years since I've used it.
http:// [URL=http://s223.photobucket.com/user/opaldan/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps09f4ebcf.jpg.html] [/URL]

Now this is a blast from the past, for me anyway. Around 30 odd years ago i also bought a Mitchell beachcaster reel, not the 602ap i think it was a 300p or something. Had the same initial birdnest problems but once you sussed out the drag and stuff you could fire a 6oz lead a good 100yrds from the rocks. Paid £15 quid for it then and i think the usual price was around £25/£30,bargain. Abu 7000 or whatever they were called (red with a line spreader bit) were sort of rolls royce at the time and way out of my league. Still have the reel in a box somewhere with a little blue tube of lubricant.

Ken

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have a variety of reels, I bought one of the Okuma's for float fishing last season, it was adequate but not what I really wanted. I have Stradics in the 4000 range but wanted a slaller lighter reel. I bought one of these Shimano Twin Power Ci4 SRA Rear Drag Reels - Buy, Sell, Part Exchange at Tacklefanatics. in the 3000 size, I've used it about 6 times and it is a delight, The drag system is a bit belt and braces but in practice it works incredibly smoothly. Oh, and it ain't white.

sam vimes

Reaction score