What have you got - reels

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thanks to Cal who inspired this

I have a shakespeare firebird xt ( two actually ) bought as a couple of kits to fish off the pier with on holiday which got me and my lad into fishing. All my other kit has been upgraded since rods , chairs the lot but I kept the same reels , they are very tough and very smooth , my lad has nice reels but the furthest I fish is about 40 yards.
mL-4RuWrxESnrD45tmpqxxQ.jpg

I also have a Wychwood carp reel , double handles , baitrunner etc but I never use it.

What do you have and why , should I upgrade the two firebirds ?

nicepix

Reaction score
I only upgrade my reels if they are broken or no longer fit the purpose they were initially bought for. In the latter case I can usually put them to use elsewhere.

B

binka

I've either given away or trashed my very old stuff like the Abu 501's and 506's and I reckon I’m now quite modest on reels from what I’ve read.

Currently, I have...

3 x Daiwa S 2503a reels from the mid to late nineties, fantastic match type reels for general fishing being very smooth, compact and light with a decent front drag. Love using these for silvers fishing

2 x Fox 1000E which I use for deadbait fishing and a bit of very amateurish carp fishing along with chucking big method feeders over the horizon on large pits for bream, a bit clonky and don’t rate the build quality but they do the job fine and I don’t mind bashing ‘em around in a two rod stalking quiver

1 x Daiwa TDX2503 which I use for much of my heavier fishing for barbel, float fishing for carp etc and without doubt the best drag I’ve ever had the pleasure of, I also managed to pick up a third spool too. I can’t believe the hammer that this reel has had and is still as good as new

1 x Daiwa Emcast BR, I bought this fairly recently as a modest replacement for the TDX as it has the baitrunner for those lazy days, very impressed with it too and will likely buy another to give me a pair for replacing the Fox 1000E’s.

That’s it… I think? :confused:

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Good to see the trend carrying on, Benny!

I've got two grandeslam 50 size baitrunners, I use them with my carp rods of course but they tend to move onto my lure rod when I fish for pike. They're pretty great to say they're so cheap though! Shall be replacing them soon with a pair of Nash FR-5 baitrunners (any info/guidance on them would be ideal) but I shall keep the grandeslams - one will go on a barbel rod and another on a heavy lure rod.

I've also got a Lineaeffe shiver line 35 rd which I use for float fishing and some light feeder/ledger fishing. It's one of two reels I got for free off my grandmother's friend and to be honest I love the Lineaeffe reel, needs cleaning up and greasing a bit but it's seem action - lots of it!
I got an old 35 size DAM reel with it too but the bail arm doesn't "flick" over and requires moving all the way over by hand, don't use it anymore but I keep it as a spare in case the Lineaeffe busts.

Once I've got the new barbel rod, new lure rod and new pair of carp rods, I'll sort out reels for them. Won't cost me too much really but I'm looking at a carp waggler and a 1.5lb Avon/quiver so I'll have to get reels for them too, might get a second Lineaeffe reel and run them on the Avon/ quiver and the waggler, but I guess we'll see!

mick b

Reaction score
Still got my gold Ambidex that I caught my first 20lb Pike* on.

Must have around sixty other reels but my first serious fixed spool is my favourite
.......:D

* hooked fought and gaffed it all on my own......yes seriously!

And it came from Wilstone!

Last edited:

sumtime

Reaction score
Still got my gold Ambidex that I caught my first 20lb Pike* on.

Must have around sixty other reels but my first serious fixed spool is my favourite
.......:D

* hooked fought and gaffed it all on my own......yes seriously!

And it came from Wlistone!

You didn't sell the pike to an Indian restaurant did you, Mick? :(

mick b

Reaction score
You didn't sell the pike to an Indian restaurant did you, Mick? :(

It was in 1962/3 and the nearest Indian was 30miles away.

Actually the fish was returned half an hour before Mr Double arrived.
Atleast it was better than him saying 'you should have been here yesterday' :D

sumtime

Reaction score
62/63? the worst winter we've had, I started on the roofing in 62, God it was cold. :eek:

john step

Reaction score
Still use my original Trudex bought with paper round money about 61 or 62 I think.
The old KP Morritt reels we used as kids (I think thats the spelling) never lasted long winching leads on Southend Pier.

I have a fishing mate who only ever buys cheap reels from a certain budget shop. He pays about £8 for them. The sod usually catches more than me.:eek:mg:

The bad one

Reaction score
Big fan of Okuma reels so all my replacements over the last few years are their models. Bar a spod reel that's a Daiwa Emcast Evo 5000 which is cr*p even as a spod reel :mad: Based on that I wouldn't touch a daiwa reel ever again.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I have
1 x Centrepin (relatively cheap one but it's ok)
1 x Shimano match size reel that I can't remember the model of but it's a decent reel
1 x Daiwa match size reel (cheap model and is just ok)
1 x Daiwa 3000 size baitrunner style that I think is very good
2 x Daiwa 4500 size baitrunner style that I think is very good
1 x Abu low profile baitcaster for my lure rod.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I will admit to the following:

3 off Daiwa Infinity X-5500's

3 off Shimano Stradic 2500's

1 off Shimano Stradic 3000

2 off Shimano Stradic 4000's

1 off Fred Crouch Emerald centrepin

2 off young's Purists centrepins

3 off Abu 501's and 2 off 506's

Plus a modest collection of vintage centrepin reels including Aerials etc.

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
As with rods, far too many, even though many have been passed on to deserving cases.

My go to reels for the last twenty odd years are in the main from the Shimano stable. Mostly multipliers for my lure work. I do have a few FS reels, again Shimano models including the ''Triton'', which I still use for the occasional Chub, Barbel and Carp outings.

Reels that don't see much use nowadays are the old Centrepins, Ariels and Speedia's. I don't own any of the modern versions. ''Fixed spool's'', Felton crosswind, Ambidex, up to more recent versions, Cardinal 55s.

Apologies to ''Flight'', not a Mitchell in sight.

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Has anyone got the Okuma Carbonite Baitrunner reel(s)? I like the look of them and they're very cheap, so if they perform well I might get a pair of 55s for my carp rods and a pair of 40s - one for a barbel rod and one for my lure/livebait rod.

nicepix

Reaction score
Still use my original Trudex bought with paper round money about 61 or 62 I think.
The old KP Morritt reels we used as kids (I think thats the spelling) never lasted long winching leads on Southend Pier.

I have a fishing mate who only ever buys cheap reels from a certain budget shop. He pays about £8 for them. The sod usually catches more than me.:eek:mg:

I still have an ABU 506 and Mitchell 300 bought with my paper round and Saturday job money :) The ABU Ferralite Mk.6 and Ernie Stamford rods are long gone though :( I also have a Mitchell 440 Match that a friend gave me. He had bought it from new and had hardly used it.

Having a quick think I'll admit to:

ABU 506 - now used on a plumbing rod for reccying new areas.
Mitchell 300 & 440 (x2) -the 440's get regular use, the 300 less so.
Trudex
Match Aerial
Adcocks Stanton (Mk.2)
Okuma Trent (x2 - I appear to have misplaced the third during our house move abroad)
Shimano Aero (1x 5000 & 4 x 8000)
Daiwa Z5000BR (x2)
Penn 760L
Shimano Sienna (1x 2500 & 1x 4000)
Daiwa Regal 1500
Crivit 3000
ABU 6500C - these days mainly used for lures for catfish
Cortland & STH trout reels (x6 assorted sizes) - almost totally redundant

All but two or three of the coarse reels are permanently attached to rods ready for use.

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Has anyone got the Okuma Carbonite Baitrunner reel(s)? I like the look of them and they're very cheap, so if they perform well I might get a pair of 55s for my carp rods and a pair of 40s - one for a barbel rod and one for my lure/livebait rod.

Had a play with one the other day and it seems like a very good reel for the money. Haven't owned or used one though.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
x4 shimano xtea's 10000, 8000, 6000
X2 shimano medium pit reels (can't remember actual name)
X2 daiwa TDR 3012's
1 daiwa Spod reel
1 daiwa TD 2500
1 daiwa closed faced
X2 shimano 5010 baitrunners
X2 browning feeder reels

greenie62

Reaction score

Hi Cal,
I've recently got a pair of Okuma Carbonite Baitrunner CBF340s and am highly delighted with them - they have the funny double handles - which I know some people hate - but I find them fine for feeder fishing or lift-float fishing 'cos they don't try to wind by themselves through the unbalanced weight of the crank handle! They have a front adjusting clutch and rear Baitrunner drag with good fine control.
If I wanted bigger reels I'd have no hesitation in looking at the bigger brothers to this reel! They were £30-ish each a few months ago.
Tight lines!:thumbs: