Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What have you got - reels

Thanks to Cal who inspired this

I have a shakespeare firebird xt ( two actually ) bought as a couple of kits to fish off the pier with on holiday which got me and my lad into fishing. All my other kit has been upgraded since rods , chairs the lot but I kept the same reels , they are very tough and very smooth , my lad has nice reels but the furthest I fish is about 40 yards.

I also have a Wychwood carp reel , double handles , baitrunner etc but I never use it.

What do you have and why , should I upgrade the two firebirds ?

Default Re: What have you got - reels

I only upgrade my reels if they are broken or no longer fit the purpose they were initially bought for. In the latter case I can usually put them to use elsewhere.
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

binka Guest

I've either given away or trashed my very old stuff like the Abu 501's and 506's and I reckon I’m now quite modest on reels from what I’ve read.

Currently, I have...

3 x Daiwa S 2503a reels from the mid to late nineties, fantastic match type reels for general fishing being very smooth, compact and light with a decent front drag. Love using these for silvers fishing

2 x Fox 1000E which I use for deadbait fishing and a bit of very amateurish carp fishing along with chucking big method feeders over the horizon on large pits for bream, a bit clonky and don’t rate the build quality but they do the job fine and I don’t mind bashing ‘em around in a two rod stalking quiver

1 x Daiwa TDX2503 which I use for much of my heavier fishing for barbel, float fishing for carp etc and without doubt the best drag I’ve ever had the pleasure of, I also managed to pick up a third spool too. I can’t believe the hammer that this reel has had and is still as good as new

1 x Daiwa Emcast BR, I bought this fairly recently as a modest replacement for the TDX as it has the baitrunner for those lazy days, very impressed with it too and will likely buy another to give me a pair for replacing the Fox 1000E’s.

That’s it… I think?

Quote Originally Posted by bennygesserit View Post
    should I upgrade the two firebirds ?
    Re-spray maybe
    Neil (PaSC Assistant Treasurer)
    "Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you. If he does not, why humiliate him?"

Good to see the trend carrying on, Benny!

I've got two grandeslam 50 size baitrunners, I use them with my carp rods of course but they tend to move onto my lure rod when I fish for pike. They're pretty great to say they're so cheap though! Shall be replacing them soon with a pair of Nash FR-5 baitrunners (any info/guidance on them would be ideal) but I shall keep the grandeslams - one will go on a barbel rod and another on a heavy lure rod.

I've also got a Lineaeffe shiver line 35 rd which I use for float fishing and some light feeder/ledger fishing. It's one of two reels I got for free off my grandmother's friend and to be honest I love the Lineaeffe reel, needs cleaning up and greasing a bit but it's seem action - lots of it!
    I got an old 35 size DAM reel with it too but the bail arm doesn't "flick" over and requires moving all the way over by hand, don't use it anymore but I keep it as a spare in case the Lineaeffe busts.

Once I've got the new barbel rod, new lure rod and new pair of carp rods, I'll sort out reels for them. Won't cost me too much really but I'm looking at a carp waggler and a 1.5lb Avon/quiver so I'll have to get reels for them too, might get a second Lineaeffe reel and run them on the Avon/ quiver and the waggler, but I guess we'll see!

Still got my first ever multiplier, a Mitchel 602ap and a metal spool for boat fishing. Had a few birds nests to start with but became very efficient in the long run. Must be 30 odd years since I've used it.
    http://
    Last edited by sumtime; 09-08-2014 at 13:59.

Still got my gold Ambidex that I caught my first 20lb Pike* on.

Must have around sixty other reels but my first serious fixed spool is my favourite

* hooked fought and gaffed it all on my own......yes seriously!

And it came from Wilstone!

Last edited by mick b; 09-08-2014 at 16:53.

Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    Still got my gold Ambidex that I caught my first 20lb Pike* on.

Must have around sixty other reels but my first serious fixed spool is my favourite

* hooked fought and gaffed it all on my own......yes seriously!

And it came from Wlistone!

You didn't sell the pike to an Indian restaurant did you, Mick?

Quote Originally Posted by sumtime View Post
    You didn't sell the pike to an Indian restaurant did you, Mick?

It was in 1962/3 and the nearest Indian was 30miles away.

Actually the fish was returned half an hour before Mr Double arrived.
    Atleast it was better than him saying 'you should have been here yesterday'

62/63? the worst winter we've had, I started on the roofing in 62, God it was cold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast