A "routine"?

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Inspired by a reply from "The bad one", on my thread concerning spigot joints. He told me about his routine that he sticks to when he packs up, and it's all pretty much the same for most people (I would assume). But, what is your routine when you first get to a spot?

I'm the same with everywhere I fish; rivers, canals or stillwaters and commercials. Once I get there - I have a good walk around the general area looking at different pegs and features rather than just sitting at the first or easiest I see, if I can't see fish or signs in swims I'll opt for the one with the seemingly best features. Once I'm settled on the spot to fish, I put everything down and (before anything else) I get.my bait out and get plenty out there to bring fish onto the feed, the initial feed will always be matching the hookbait groundbait and other loose feeds come later. Then the pods or rests get set up, followed by the rod(s) and before going further, I get cast out. I'll feed lightly over this whilst I get all other bits and bobs out; net, chair, filling the bait bucket etc. To me, it's all about extending your time fishing as much as you can - get the rods out as.soon as, pack them away last.

B

binka

I'm not sure I have a routine as such but on the point of feeding I never feed a morsel until I've run a float through to get an idea of the bottom or had a couple of casts if I'm fishing on the tip just to make sure I'm not feeding right on top of a submerged snag.

Not an issue of course if you're already familiar with the swim and have a fairly recent knowledge.

Similarly with stillwaters i'll make sure I can hold my float over the area I want to fish before feeding especially on larger waters, not an issue for the margins of course.

Not so much an issue on the smaller rivers really but the Trent has shifting gravel bars and silt beds which vary after high water and many a submerged tree has appeared in a previously good swim over the years, rendering it practically unfishable.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I may or may not feed first, depending on situation. If its a bream/tench session - yes balls of groundbait etc.

I always tackle up rod(s) last, after getting rod rests and landing net set up. I may even set up the keepnet before starting if i intend using one (not often) as it helps to keep disturbance to a minimum if i do get the fish feeding later.

thecrow

Reaction score
Depends what river I am going to fish, on the Trent its usually a swim I have fished before so I will make quite a few casts with the feeder to get some bait in, the swim then gets a rest while I sort everything else out, after that its me that needs a rest and that takes another 10/15 mins before I am ready to fish.

If its a swim I haven't fished before I spend a bit of time leading around to try to get some idea of whats in front of me, when I am happy with that I follow the same routine as I do in swims that are known to me.

On the smaller river I fish its somewhat similar as the first scenario but using a dropper to get the bait in, the swim gets left then until just before dark before casting in, once cast it stays there and the swim gets topped up by catapult.

What binka says about things appearing in swims after floods is correct, my lad has a few days ago had a tremendous session with Barbel by fishing a swim that is rarely fished after finding a snag in it.

C

chefster

After drawing my peg and arriving at it,i unload my shuttle,put my box on peg and make sure it is level and footplate etc,attatch side trays ,pole roost etc..lay out keepnets on grass(compulsory now on most matches)At this point i will mix GB (if needed),soak pellets etc...roughly position pole rollers...Get pole,and top kits,and cupping kit out,set up landing net...adjust position of rollers...attatch rigs required to top kits and plumb up each one for appropriate swims..get out kinder pots,catties,skid bungs etc from carryall..once all this is ready,i get my bait out of cool bag and put on side trays...everything i need is to hand in sliding cross drawers,ie trimming shot,scissors,disgorgers etc,so i dont have to worry about any of these items,i know exactly where they will be..If i need rods i take them out of the ready rod bag,make exploratory casts,and clip them up....all the time,i,m scanning the water,for any signs of fish...then put the keepnets in,and if i,ve got time,have a ciggy,whilst waiting for the whistle,after the match i just chuck it all back in and sort it out at home!!!!Gazza

law

Reaction score
Im right messy when setting up. Pretty much empty all my bag on the floor and set up rod first and plumb up. That is, unless Ive seen fish fizzing or topping etc,then Ill bait up there regardless.
Then, mix up groundbait, put bag back together, top up groundbait with water and bait up.
Then, normally sit there for 5 minutes or so to get in the zone and watch the water.
Then normally move bait waiter and banksticks where Ive put them in the wrong place.

john step

Reaction score
I have a kind of superstition - you could call it. I ALWAYS set my landing net up first. The times I have seen quite experienced anglers actually fishing before setting one up. Disaster waiting to happen.:eek:

cal_sutt

Reaction score
I have a kind of superstition - you could call it. I ALWAYS set my landing net up first. The times I have seen quite experienced anglers actually fishing before setting one up. Disaster waiting to happen.:eek:

That's quite a fair point really, but in my case - my landing net is near enough always set up as I've got a telescopic handle that is easy to put away and carry round even with the net on it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Where to start . . . . . . .

I virtually always set-up my rods at home and carry them made up in a holdall so no need to do that at the bank side.

On arrival my seat box or chair is set up and I'll spend some time just watching the venue to decide on a float or lead/feeder approach or on a commercial thinking about pole rigs etc.

After deciding the main line of attack I will set-up my chair or seat box accessories and position keep nets etc. Landing net(s) are set up and placed to hand and then roosts are set up for my top sections or rods. Then my brolly is positioned ready for use if (or is that when?) necessary.

Lastly my baits are set-out and these have always been prepared at home so are ready the moment I get to the fishery.

Then just before baiting up, or fishing, I always tidy up around my peg/swim as I want spare bait, flask and sandwiches to hand as well as all those necessary bits and pieces that we carry around.

My main aim is to ensure that once I start to fish then I don't have to get up at all during the session, everything is in easy reach so no time is lost looking for anything.

In my serious match fishing days we would set a timer going in practice sessions to check how many minutes we "wasted" in a match due to not having a hook in the water . . . . . some of the results were quite amazing.

Obviously an overnight session will be totally different and in that case I always get my shelter or bivvy erected first just in case the weather changes . . . . . . .

aebitim

Reaction score
1] Decide on peg
2] Choose a tactic
3] Set up net
4] Decide on 2nd best reel as 1st choice is at home in garage
5] Float as above
6] Set up rod
7] Clean out mouldy groundbait bowl
8] Go back to the car for groundbait
9] Try and retrieve as many escaped maggots as possible
10] Start fishing and contemplate getting organised
11] Take paracetamol for resulting headache
12] Throw everything back in box as headtorch batteries flat
13] Put everything in car
14] Drive home after returning to venue to retrieve rod rests.

greenie62

Reaction score
1] Decide on peg
2] Choose a tactic
14] Drive home after returning to venue to retrieve rod rests.

Every sympathy - it sounds like one of my trips, except you missed the prelude:
a) Pack car
b) Check fuel - go to Filling Station
c) Go back home to get Credit Card
d) Get Fuel
e) Go back home to get Landing Net - check for other bits forgotten
f) Go to fishery - find there's a mid-week match on - only snaggy swims left!
g) Downpour starts - back to car for brolly/waterproofs - realise you've left them at home!

Note g) may be varied this summer by 'Heatwave starts - back to car for hat and suncream - realise you've left them at home!'

:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

The bad one

Reaction score
You two sound like my regular fishing mate, he's the bloody same! I've known him to leave rods at home on 2 occasions. Once left them on the bank and had it not been for John Conway coming off just after us finding them, he’d have gone home without them. Can’t think of time when he hasn’t forgot something. Head torch is the favourite most times.

Ever thought of having two or three sets of gear permanently packed and never taking stuff out of one to put in another?
God I must have told him this so many times over the years. I wouldn’t mind he’s enough tackle to sink a bloody Battleship in triplicate! So it not as if he couldn’t do it very easily!
Me and the other mate who fish with us always walk behind him on the way back to car park to pickup the gear he drops. Korum chair legs seem to be the favourite at present.

Yes when they were giving out organisational skills he got lost and couldn’t find the queue :eek:mg:

aebitim

Reaction score
You two sound like my regular fishing mate, he's the bloody same! I've known him to leave rods at home on 2 occasions. Once left them on the bank and had it not been for John Conway coming off just after us finding them, he’d have gone home without them. Can’t think of time when he hasn’t forgot something. Head torch is the favourite most times.

Ever thought of having two or three sets of gear permanently packed and never taking stuff out of one to put in another?
God I must have told him this so many times over the years. I wouldn’t mind he’s enough tackle to sink a bloody Battleship in triplicate! So it not as if he couldn’t do it very easily!
Me and the other mate who fish with us always walk behind him on the way back to car park to pickup the gear he drops. Korum chair legs seem to be the favourite at present.

Yes when they were giving out organisational skills he got lost and couldn’t find the queue :eek:mg:

The best solution I have found is to find a fishing buddy who is organised [as I suspect your mate well knows] and to keep quiet about catching more fish than them.

The bad one

Reaction score
The best solution I have found is to find a fishing buddy who is organised [as I suspect your mate well knows] and to keep quiet about catching more fish than them.
Yep that's the only thing he's organised at... phoning me to tell me what he's had :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Unless I'm fishing a new water as a guest or similar, I will always walk a water several times before I fish it, and never when I arrive at the water with my gear for the first time. I'm aware this is not always possible for everyone with limited time, but should I be thinking of using the water for any length of time (over some months) I would also pop down with a rod and plummet just to give myself some idea of depths etc.

Nothing will replace actually fishing a water but a couple of walks, and hopefully a chat with fishermen on the bank, can save a lot of time.

Regarding groundbaiting or lobbing in loads of feed; An absolute no-no for me, but others obviously do it in a different way...That said, it depends a lot on the water !

It's been said many times on FM; 'You can put it in but you cannot take it out' so I would always start without feed BUT it does depend on the water................

A routine??

Gear ALWAYS cleaned and check after every trip, even if fishing the following day 'cos I'm fussy !
Hooks checked and tied if necessary the night before
Bait from the freezer the evening before/check maggots/casters if used etc etc

Half an hours 'think time' the evening before about the water I will be fishing and how I intend starting, so no time wasted when I arrive at the water.

Oh, and car ALWAYS checked for fuel etc at the beginning of the week to avoid hassle and time wasting...Told you I'm fussy !!

Personally I don't think you can be too organised...............but that's me..

........................it's also why I go out early - I rarely miss out on the swim I've planned to fish !! (I really HATE that !!!)

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I'm really surprised at the amount who don't feed as soon as they get to their chosen swim. The first thing I do is open that bait tub and trickle feed in whilst I set up, normally a little upstream to avoid any disturbance. By the time I've got my float running through the swim the fish should be well up for it as the saying goes. If it turns out to be snag central or too weedy then its rucksack on back then off to the next spot and same again.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
A routine??

Gear ALWAYS cleaned and check after every trip, even if fishing the following day 'cos I'm fussy !
Hooks checked and tied if necessary the night before
Bait from the freezer the evening before/check maggots/casters if used etc etc

Half an hours 'think time' the evening before about the water I will be fishing and how I intend starting, so no time wasted when I arrive at the water.

Oh, and car ALWAYS checked for fuel etc at the beginning of the week to avoid hassle and time wasting...Told you I'm fussy !!

Personally I don't think you can be too organised...............but that's me..

........................it's also why I go out early - I rarely miss out on the swim I've planned to fish !! (I really HATE that !!!)

Me too, everything that requires cleaning is washed and left to dry when I get back, nets, bait tubs, unhooking mat, my hand towel etc.
I load the car up the night before I go and as my bait fridge is in the garage I leave myself a note in the kitchen to remind me to get the maggots out or whatever else might be in there, when I get up in the morning.

law

Reaction score

I used to do that but stopped myself doing it.
I'd imagine turning up and getting to the swim. I'd visualize setting up and starting to fish.
But if I was then to turn up to the lake and the swim(s) I wanted to fish were busy, I'd not be confident what so ever.

Best thing I did was stopping that.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm fastidious to the point of being almost OCD about preparation,bag packing etc etc but as soon as I get bankside I am an utter disaster. Once I've decided on a spot [fairly quickly] I set up reasonably neatly but in no particular order. I will fiddle about getting everything "just so" but then it all goes to pot. Very soon I will have stuff spread all over the bank...looks like an SAS training exercise.

Packing up everything just gets scooped up & stuffed in bag/holdall but once I'm home the OCD kicks in and everything gets sorted,cleaned & put away in its place. Not necessarily the same night but certainly the next day...no rod,reel,alarm etc ever goes away wet and when Mrs S complains of having [say] reels drying on her worksurface then I tell her I'll happily put them away dirty & wet if she'll buy me new ones when they seize up.

I'm afraid the waters I wish I can't afford to fanny about "walking the banks"...I will have decided a first,second & third choice swim/area on the way and get on them double sharp. Only then will I relax & start thinking about what to do.

Nets are a pain....I've left no end on the bank & had to go back for them.