Silver Bream

cg74

Reaction score
Does anyone have info/tips on catching silver bream?

Oh, and are they as snotty as their common/bronze cousins?

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
From what I have read the Coventry Canal has some good sized ones in it although I haven't fished it for them.

There may be some information in the blog Idlers Quest.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
First find your silver bream. Most people wouldn't recognise one from a common bream skimmer. Fish fine as with roach. I have caught them on tares and bread and maggot from a local river in numbers whilst trotting for roach.
Snotty in still water but not so much in flowing water just like the big snotties.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
From what I have read the Coventry Canal has some good sized ones in it although I haven't fished it for them.

There may be some information in the blog Idlers Quest.

Thank you, I'll have a read through his blog (which looks pretty comprehensive).

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

First find your silver bream. Most people wouldn't recognise one from a common bream skimmer. Fish fine as with roach. I have caught them on tares and bread and maggot from a local river in numbers whilst trotting for roach.
Snotty in still water but not so much in flowing water just like the big snotties.

They'll be river dwelling fish, so thats a bonus. Basically they behave and feed like roach then?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
They like bread punch over a bit of groundbait, especially with a tinge of colour. But first find your silver bream. They're often referred to as 'hybrids', meaning roach x bream, even when they are true silvers, though silver bream hybrids also exist. I have caught silver bream in numbers from the Nene near Peterborough, Trent below Nottingham, Witham, Lower Dorset Stour, Bristol Avon right through - all in the past, Thames around Oxford in recent past. Caught them right through the season but in winter they only show if the colour is there and it's mild.
For some reason they like plenty of hemp, had them on casters feeding loads of hemp which is something bronze bream skimmers don't respond to.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The only time i may have caught a silver bream was on the Thames at Shepperton in July 1985. Theres a picture of the fish below - i am not sure as it is small. If anyone can confirm whether it was or not that would be great. Scale tape is in inches.

chub_on_the_block-albums-fish-tank-picture3911-silver-bream.jpg

B

binka

It's an interesting quest if you decide to do it Colin.

I can't help on any constructive advice I'm afraid but the mention of them brings back fond memories as a kid when our local town centre dam seemed to be thick with them... But sadly no longer and I'm struggling to think of one I've caught in recent years.

I don't suppose you're anywhere near Sussex in the near furutre?

Silver Bream - Abramis bjoerkna, Blicca bjoerkna fishing for Silver Bream

cg74

Reaction score
They like bread punch over a bit of groundbait, especially with a tinge of colour. But first find your silver bream. They're often referred to as 'hybrids', meaning roach x bream, even when they are true silvers, though silver bream hybrids also exist. I have caught silver bream in numbers from the Nene near Peterborough, Trent below Nottingham, Witham, Lower Dorset Stour, Bristol Avon right through - all in the past, Thames around Oxford in recent past. Caught them right through the season but in winter they only show if the colour is there and it's mild.
For some reason they like plenty of hemp, had them on casters feeding loads of hemp which is something bronze bream skimmers don't respond to.

Thanks Mark, I will be looking to catch them in and near to Oxford and there are definite silver bream present in the stretch I'm looking to fish.

Chub on the block, this link might help you: Silver Bream - Abramis bjoerkna, Blicca bjoerkna fishing for Silver Bream

cg74

Reaction score
It's an interesting quest if you decide to do it Colin.

I can't help on any constructive advice I'm afraid but the mention of them brings back fond memories as a kid when our local town centre dam seemed to be thick with them... But sadly no longer and I'm struggling to think of one I've caught in recent years.

I don't suppose you're anywhere near Sussex in the near furutre?

Silver Bream - Abramis bjoerkna, Blicca bjoerkna fishing for Silver Bream

It's the pursuit of what is to me a completely unknown species, as like 99%+ of coarse anglers, I've never knowingly caught one and I've got a fairly good idea as to where some reside.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

:D

I think we just cross posted... quirky selection of the same link :D

Yeah I get bored of Wiki this and Wiki that....

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Bream"]Silver Bream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] :D

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, I will be looking to catch them in and near to Oxford and there are definite silver bream present in the stretch I'm looking to fish.

As I keep a fishing diary I don't have to rely on memory. Last season I fished in August and September, catching, amongst other fish, some silver bream from the top end of the Medley Channel - below the Bailey Bridge - on bread both on a feeder and floatfished but with plenty of lead down to beat the bleak, and about a dozen swims below Godstow Lock on waggler and maggot, feeding hemp and maggot. Both times half a dozen silver bream. Then end of October when it was up a foot and coloured I had some to 1-1-0 on bread on the feeder lower down on Medley, also bream and good roach that day. When there is some flow I fish a tiny cage feeder that moves through with flake on a 10. Even small roach and silvers take this. I did get a silver bream x bronze bream on this last trip, and there are a few of these about, usually 1-6 to 2lbs so be aware that a really big silver may not be a true one! Take good pics. For some reason I have rarely caught silver bream above Godstow lock up through to Carrotts Ham though have have plenty at Newbridge and Clifton Hampden. Had them right through Medley, best day about 45 silvers on caster fishing mid-river on the waggler in a match on a blazing hot day one July.

nicepix

Reaction score
Using the identification tips given on Idler's Quest: Identifying Silver Bream I reckon that this is a true silver bream...........

I had initially believed it to be a skimmer, but the large eye and distinct lack of slime seems to indicate that it might be a silver bream. But what do I know?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I caught this fish from under the bypass bridge on the Royalty in 2012. I was pretty sure it was a silver bream - anone like to confirm?

Yes, that's a silver bream. I've had the odd tiddler silver bream on the Royalty in the last 5 years. Bernard Venables writes of specimen silver bream on the Royalty in the 50s, fish to 2lbs. Back in the 80s loads of silver bream at Iford.