Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Bream

Default Silver Bream

Does anyone have info/tips on catching silver bream?

Oh, and are they as snotty as their common/bronze cousins?
    Last edited by cg74; 05-09-2014 at 11:46.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Silver Bream

From what I have read the Coventry Canal has some good sized ones in it although I haven't fished it for them.

There may be some information in the blog Idlers Quest.
    Last edited by thecrow; 05-09-2014 at 12:12.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

First find your silver bream. Most people wouldn't recognise one from a common bream skimmer. Fish fine as with roach. I have caught them on tares and bread and maggot from a local river in numbers whilst trotting for roach.
    Snotty in still water but not so much in flowing water just like the big snotties.
    Last edited by john step; 05-09-2014 at 12:42. Reason: missed about the snotty bit.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    From what I have read the Coventry Canal has some good sized ones in it although I haven't fished it for them.

There may be some information in the blog Idlers Quest.
    Thank you, I'll have a read through his blog (which looks pretty comprehensive).

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    First find your silver bream. Most people wouldn't recognise one from a common bream skimmer. Fish fine as with roach. I have caught them on tares and bread and maggot from a local river in numbers whilst trotting for roach.
    Snotty in still water but not so much in flowing water just like the big snotties.
    They'll be river dwelling fish, so thats a bonus. Basically they behave and feed like roach then?

They like bread punch over a bit of groundbait, especially with a tinge of colour. But first find your silver bream. They're often referred to as 'hybrids', meaning roach x bream, even when they are true silvers, though silver bream hybrids also exist. I have caught silver bream in numbers from the Nene near Peterborough, Trent below Nottingham, Witham, Lower Dorset Stour, Bristol Avon right through - all in the past, Thames around Oxford in recent past. Caught them right through the season but in winter they only show if the colour is there and it's mild.
    For some reason they like plenty of hemp, had them on casters feeding loads of hemp which is something bronze bream skimmers don't respond to.

The only time i may have caught a silver bream was on the Thames at Shepperton in July 1985. Theres a picture of the fish below - i am not sure as it is small. If anyone can confirm whether it was or not that would be great. Scale tape is in inches.

Real Ale Alliance

binka Guest

It's an interesting quest if you decide to do it Colin.

I can't help on any constructive advice I'm afraid but the mention of them brings back fond memories as a kid when our local town centre dam seemed to be thick with them... But sadly no longer and I'm struggling to think of one I've caught in recent years.

I don't suppose you're anywhere near Sussex in the near furutre?

Silver Bream - Abramis bjoerkna, Blicca bjoerkna fishing for Silver Bream

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    They like bread punch over a bit of groundbait, especially with a tinge of colour. But first find your silver bream. They're often referred to as 'hybrids', meaning roach x bream, even when they are true silvers, though silver bream hybrids also exist. I have caught silver bream in numbers from the Nene near Peterborough, Trent below Nottingham, Witham, Lower Dorset Stour, Bristol Avon right through - all in the past, Thames around Oxford in recent past. Caught them right through the season but in winter they only show if the colour is there and it's mild.
    For some reason they like plenty of hemp, had them on casters feeding loads of hemp which is something bronze bream skimmers don't respond to.
    Thanks Mark, I will be looking to catch them in and near to Oxford and there are definite silver bream present in the stretch I'm looking to fish.

Chub on the block, this link might help you: Silver Bream - Abramis bjoerkna, Blicca bjoerkna fishing for Silver Bream

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cg74 View Post

I think we just cross posted... quirky selection of the same link

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    It's an interesting quest if you decide to do it Colin.

I can't help on any constructive advice I'm afraid but the mention of them brings back fond memories as a kid when our local town centre dam seemed to be thick with them... But sadly no longer and I'm struggling to think of one I've caught in recent years.

I don't suppose you're anywhere near Sussex in the near furutre?

Silver Bream - Abramis bjoerkna, Blicca bjoerkna fishing for Silver Bream
    It's the pursuit of what is to me a completely unknown species, as like 99%+ of coarse anglers, I've never knowingly caught one and I've got a fairly good idea as to where some reside.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post

I think we just cross posted... quirky selection of the same link
    Yeah I get bored of Wiki this and Wiki that....

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Bream"]Silver Bream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast