Angling Clubs

cal_sutt

Reaction score
As we all know, a lot of pubs nowadays have their own angling clubs, whether it be becauae they're near a good water, have a lot of anglers coming in or whether the owner/manager just enjoys it. I'm currently working in the flagship pub of Springhead Brewery which is in Laneham, and the owners are opening up a pub in my hometown of Retford so I have agreed to go and work there once it opens. The pub will be within walking distance of the Chesterfield Canal and the River Idle, plus the tackle shop is a minutes walk away. The guy I'm working for enjoys fishing but he doesn't do much of it, and he really likes the idea of me starting an angling club at the pub when it opens and I do too, I've got a few ideas on what sort of things to do and/or offer but I'm pretty much clueless. Does anyone on here run an angling club? If so would anyone be able to contribute tips and advice so that the Ginger Pig Angling Club will be successful? :guinness:

cal_sutt

Reaction score
It's not the "getting it started" side of things I'm struggling with, it's more "what do I do now it's running?" What should the club offer? Should I charge members? Etc.

john step

Reaction score
Mostly angling clubs without their own waters have outings that usually revolve around a knockup low key match.
Have a meeting, decide what everyone wants out of it. You can have a "pool" for the winner but you can hardly charge anything else.( Apart from the beer of course).

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Mostly angling clubs without their own waters have outings that usually revolve around a knockup low key match.
Have a meeting, decide what everyone wants out of it. You can have a "pool" for the winner but you can hardly charge anything else.( Apart from the beer of course).

That was the sort of thing I was thinking, there's plenty of waters in my area where matches could be hosted; canals, ponds and even rivers.

I was thinking of ideas to cater for the specimen anglers too, little "challenges" set for members much like the recent Barbel Challenge.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Once you get going or even before, set up a website. This is not expensive. Many host companies will give you it free for the first year or two and then it can cost less than £20 a year. You may have to pay for the "domain" name though but, this can only cost a few pounds a year, less than a tenner. Google free websites and have a look through.
It can be a fun interactive site where members can download there pictures of them p----d in the pub as well as there catches etc. Catch reports Upcoming events, tackle swops etc , whatever takes your fancy.
I think it would be a good thing for a small club.
Just an idea.
A Ginger Pig Fishing Club quiz team, maybe. Picnic/Fishing outings for the family's and youngsters where members could run and advise although you better check out insurance liabilities on that one, I don't know but---.
If I think of anything else I will let you know. Must go now.